Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

English-only ad draws national debate to Alabama

English-only ad draws national debate to Alabama

Posted 6m ago

MONTGOMERY, Alabama (AP) — An "English-only" ad by a candidate in the Alabama governor's race has drawn the state into the national debate over immigration stoked by a tough new Arizona law and generated an Internet crowd for the political scion running in a crowded Republican field.

The ad by construction business owner and candidate Tim James viewed more than 500,000 times on YouTube since its release last week is also generating criticism from rivals and advocates that it could reverse years of economic development based on luring foreign companies, including carmakers from Germany, Japan and South Korea.

James, son of former two-term Alabama governor Fob James Jr., says in the ad that he would drop the practice of giving the state drivers license exam in 12 languages other than English.

"This is Alabama. We speak English. If you want to live here, learn it," James says.

In James' view, it will make highways safer, save the state money, and hasten the assimilation of legal immigrants into Alabama society.

The ad comes as members of both parties in Congress maneuver to either add or duck immigration as a midterm election issue and as immigration advocates file legal challenges a new Arizona law that makes being an illegal immigrant a state crime enforced by police.

Critics say James' idea is counterproductive in a state that has received substantial help from 358 foreign businesses to build a manufacturing base that includes Mercedes-Benz, Hyundai and Honda auto assembly plants. They point to 40 other states including every one in the Southeast that compete with Alabama for new industry give the test in multiple languages.

State officials don't have numbers tracking how many foreigners work in the state. Many of them are managers, engineers and other high-salary employees who may have non-English speaking spouses. In 2000, according to the last U.S. Census, there were 108,000 people in Alabama, or 2.9% of the state's population, who spoke a language other than English at home.

Bill Johnson, a Republican rival of James in the June 1 primary, said his opponent's ad is not good for business development.

"If Tim wanted to attack illegal immigration, I wish he would have just said so," said Johnson, who as a member of he current governor's Cabinet helped put together Alabama's industrial recruitment program. "Instead, I believe his ad sent the wrong signal and possibly insulted thousands of our legal international citizens and business partners." Johnson said.

Isabel Rubio, executive director of the Hispanic Interest Coalition of Alabama, says the change would reduce safety because people will continue to drive whether they pass the exam in English or not. It's in the best interest of all motorists for the state to license as many safe drivers as possible, regardless of their primary language, she said.

ProEnglish, an organization from Arlington, Virginia, that advocates English-only exams, sued the state three years ago to end the exam in multiple languages. Alabama's current governor and attorney general, Republicans Bob Riley and Troy King, successfully defended the state against the suit.

James' ad has resonated with voters concerned about illegal immigration and stood him apart from a crowded Republican field where all seven candidates are running on a standard Republican platform of low taxes and less government.

"We have definitely hit a nerve with Alabamians and people across the country," James said. "What's happening in Washington and Arizona has only amplified the people's awareness of the issue and their wariness of government to make the right decisions."

James did not originate the idea. A Republican legislator tried to pass an English-only bill in Alabama in 2008, but was blocked by Senate Democrats. Similar legislation is pending in Tennessee and Georgia, where the state Senate has already passed the measure.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Post a comment on the USA TODAY site @

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/201 ... bama_N.htm
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

One needs to be able to READ the signs to drive. Driving is not a right, it is a priviledge.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"This is Alabama. We speak English. If you want to live here, learn it," James says.

In James' view, it will make highways safer, save the state money, and hasten the assimilation of legal immigrants into Alabama society.
    I must be missing something here. I don't understand what's to debate. Sounds like common sense, as well as good fiscal policy to me! Another example of the political correctness which is destroying this country.

The ad by construction business owner and candidate Tim James viewed more than 500,000 times on YouTube since its release last week is also generating criticism from rivals and advocates that it could reverse years of economic development based on luring foreign companies, including carmakers from Germany, Japan and South Korea.
    I see...can I go to Germany, Japan, or South Korea and take my driver's license exam in English?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I like his ad. Rep. Eric Watson, Tennessee, tried to do this in the legislature. He got opposition from the business crowd, saying that Tennessee would offend Germany and Japan, and hurt future business draw to the state. Hopefully, he will try again.

The more that people introduce this type of action, the type of legislation similar to Arizona too, the more that it will catch fire in the hearts of Americans, and the more success we will surely see.

Revelation 3:20 (New International Version)
    It is written,... Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.
    Matthew 19:26
    But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Newmexican
    One needs to be able to READ the signs to drive. Driving is not a right, it is a priviledge.
    The signs in the US, Canada and Mexico are "universal" as they are in the rest of the world. One does not have to be fluent in any language to read the signage. A lame excuse

Quote Originally Posted by ccsingleton
    Quote Originally Posted by Newmexican
    The signs in the US, Canada and Mexico are "universal" as they are in the rest of the world. One does not have to be fluent in any language to read the signage. A lame excuse
    OMG!! You're right!! When I lived in Germany for 3 months EVERYTHING I saw was in English, because that is what I demanded from them! If you can't tell, I'm being sarcastic. Living in Texas, I can tell you that the only "universal" language here is Spanish. You can't get a job unless you speak it. What is this "universal" language that you speak of, cause it sure is hell isn't English!!!
    Don't think about all the things you fear, just be glad you're here.

Quote Originally Posted by ccsingleton
    ccsingleton, I couldn’t disagree more. There are plenty of signs that aren’t shaped like the normal stop, yield or one way types. There are all kinds of LED/LCD/whatever signs that change all the time. If we have troubles getting English speaking people paying attention to them, it’s madness to think non-English speakers will.

If you get busted by a police officer, he/she should be able to communicate with you. There are probably scores of languages spoken in my city. Should police be required to learn them all because people come here and don’t learn English? The same thing for if you have to go to the E.R.. It’s unreasonable.

When my sister and her husband moved to Germany, they studied German before they got there. They also took aggressive classes once they got there. They did it because it was needed to assimilate. Sadly, those that come to the U.S. don’t feel the same way. It’s a melting pot, not separate pots.

Read my tagline. It says it all.
    I would never be so arrogant as to move to another country and expect them to change for me.

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

English-Only Proposal in Alabama a Web Sensation

Saturday, 01 May 2010 12:39 PM

An "English-only" ad in the Alabama governor's race has drawn the state into the national debate over immigration.

The ad by businessman and gubernatorial candidate Tim James has been viewed more than 500,000 times on YouTube. In it, James says the state should give its driver's license exam in English only and drop the 12 other languages now being used. He says, "This is Alabama. We speak English. If you want to live here, learn it."

Some of James' opponents say he could reverse years of Alabama recruiting foreign manufacturers, including carmakers from Germany, Japan and South Korea.

The ad comes as Congress debates immigration reform and activists try to stop an Arizona law that makes being in the state without legal immigration status a crime.

http://newsmax.com/Newsfront/US-English ... /id/357512

I had to get a driver's licenses in Germany and at that time, they did not furnish me with a test in English.
    As far as the UN mandated universal signs are concerned, the only place that the signs were prominent in Europe was on the autobahn (freeway), they were not on the side roads.
    When you get off the interstate, you need to know the language. JMO
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn