Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

English-only cheesesteak fight goes on

http://www.courierpostonline.com/apps/p ... 08004/1006

English-only cheesesteak fight goes on

By PATRICK WALTERS
    Associated Pres

The battle over an English-only ordering policy at one of Philadelphia's signature cheesesteak joints is apparently far from over.

The city's human relations commission found evidence that the owner of Geno's Steaks may have discriminated against immigrants by posting a sign telling customers, "This is AMERICA: WHEN ORDERING 'PLEASE SPEAK ENGLISH,' " according to a letter sent to owner Joe Vento last week.

Vento's attorneys had hoped the matter would be dropped, but the commission said in the Jan. 31 letter that it found probable cause that discrimination occurred and was moving forward with the case. The commission also suggested that the matter could be resolved through mediation.

Vento's legal team would not rule out some sort of mediation, but they said Vento, the fiery grandson of Italian immigrants, would not take the sign down.

"Any effort to save the resources of taxpayer-funded government is a good idea, but not at the cost of free speech," said Todd Young, policy director for Atlanta-based Southeastern Legal Foundation, a public interest law firm that has joined the case.

After extensive publicity over the sign in June, the commission began investigating whether Vento was violating the city's Fair Practices Ordinance. That law prohibits discrimination in employment, public accommodation and housing on the basis of race, ethnicity or sexual orientation.

Vento and his attorneys maintain that no one has ever been turned away at the South Philadelphia shop. Geno's, along with bitter cross-street rival Pat's King of Steaks, forms the epicenter of an area often described as ground zero for cheesesteaks.

"They could have found out in one day that nobody has ever been refused service," Vento said Wednesday.

Albert Weiss, Vento's Philadelphia attorney, said he was shocked that the city was not dropping the case because he hadn't heard from anyone in weeks.

"I felt they were just letting it die a quiet death," Weiss said.

A message left with the human relations commission was not immediately returned Wednesday.
    Published: February 08. 2007 6:53AM
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Re: English-only cheesesteak fight goes on

"Any effort to save the resources of taxpayer-funded government is a good idea, but not at the cost of free speech," said Todd Young, policy director for Atlanta-based Southeastern Legal Foundation, a public interest law firm that has joined the case.
    Free speech? I always thought that the first amendment existed to prevent the government from stifling political speech. I never knew it meant you didn't need to learn English.

If I was taxpayer in Phil I would be concerned

about the waste of funds by the city in this case. If the man never refused service to anyone then there is no discrimination. If the city wants to waste money, maybe they should look at their taxi drivers. Odds on that they refuse to pick up clients who have dogs and also they should look at some hispanic cafes which will not serve you unless you speak spanish.

If a business owner wants only English spoken on the premises of a business that s/he 100% owns, I can't see how the government should be allowed to get involved.
    "We have a sacred, noble obligation in this country to defend the rule
    of law. Without rule of law, without democracy, without rule of law being
    applied without fear or favor, there is no freedom."

Senator Chuck Schumer 6/11/2007
    <s

What about restaurants that have signs saying "no shirt, no service." Are they discriminating also?

If you can't speak English than I don't know what your ordering. So please don't blame me that you keep getting the wrong order!!!!!! I'll understand if you don't come back and don't let the door hit ya in the A$$ on the way out! This man should be allowed to run his business how he wants to!

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffdid
    If you can't speak English than I don't know what your ordering. So please don't blame me that you keep getting the wrong order!!!!!! I'll understand if you don't come back and don't let the door hit ya in the A$$ on the way out! This man should be allowed to run his business how he wants to!
    I think you've got it Cliff. If someone ordered in a language I don't understand, what would I deliver? I'd just be standing there looking at their mouth move. The Human Relations people could do better? Nuts everywhere.
    Unemployment is not working. Deport illegal alien workers now! Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

So what are they saying, a restaurant owner should keep someone on staff to translate just in case some guy comes in to order that can't speak English???? So Vento can be sued if someone from Norway comes in there, doesn't speak English and he doesn't accommodate him??? Do they realize how goofy they sound???
    What a bunch of idiots!
    Vento has already said he's never turned anyone away. Where the heck is the descrimination??? Asking people to speak English??
    This country is going nuts. God help us!
    Oops, I didn't mean to use the "G" word.
    <div>Thank you Governor Brewer!</div>

Please let Mr Vento and the gang know that we continue to support them!

http://www.genosteaks.com/contact.html

[b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee

Good for Mr Vento for standing behind what he believes in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast