Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Ex-Mexican President: End Bloody Drug War Through Legalizing

Ex-Mexican President: End Bloody Drug War Through Legalization.

By Ruxandra Guidi.

April 8, 2011

SAN DIEGO — Former Mexican President Vicente Fox believes the current strategies employed against Mexico's drug cartels are not working and he is advocating a different approach.

Speaking passionately about the issue, Fox said he has a team of experts tracking drug-related violence in Mexico. He is concerned the government crackdown and cartel violence that has left about 34,000 dead in the past 4 years is also affecting trade, investment, and tourism.

Fox said he's looking at other countries for possible solutions. One is Portugal, which decriminalized all drugs 10 years ago and has since seen a 25 percent decrease in drug consumption .

"We might have an answer there because we have to separate the health problem (caused) by consuming drugs, and the crime and violence associated with it to distribute in the black market," he said.

His comments on drug violence and legalization were first published in the Mexican media a couple of months ago. Now Fox said he's eager to debate it with American audiences.

Fox said Mexico is losing young lives at an alarming rate as a result of the drug war. The fear and the violence is destroying Mexican society, Fox said. He adds that the U.S. has as much as Mexico at stake in the drug war.

He criticizes US officials for disagreeing with his push to legalize drugs and stop the violence.

"If they don't support (legalization), why then they don't (reduce consumption) of it? It's their job, it's their responsibility, and it's not happening," Fox said. "What I read everywhere is growth, growth, growth of consumption - in both sides, in Mexico and in United States."

Fox's successor, Mexican President Felipe Calderon, has waged a military fight against the cartels since 2007. The drug war is expected to be a top campaign issue in Mexico's next presidential election in 2012.

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2011/apr/08/vi ... alization/
    When you aid and support criminals, you live a criminal life style yourself:

This is about the only think Mr. Fox and I agree on.

I'm not so sure that legalizing drugs would do anything except let the Cartels go legit. They would be able to sell drugs openly, so I don't see how that would stop or even slow down Cartels. Heck, they could put weed smokes next to the cigars at wal-mart. Dime bags next to the skittles, etc.

It wouldn't stop them selling it on the black market either. The Gov. would tax it sure but all that would do is give the Cartels incentive to keep selling drugs the same way they are now and they would be able to open up Crack Marts in every city.

So all his HOMIES get rich. Evil b@st@rd

We can culitvate our own if needed Mr. Flax
    You cannot dedicate yourself to America unless you become in every
    respect and with every purpose of your will thoroughly Americans. You
    cannot become thoroughly Americans if you think of yourselves in groups. President Woodrow Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by sugarhighwolf
    I'm not so sure that legalizing drugs would do anything except let the Cartels go legit. They would be able to sell drugs openly, so I don't see how that would stop or even slow down Cartels. Heck, they could put weed smokes next to the cigars at wal-mart. Dime bags next to the skittles, etc.

It wouldn't stop them selling it on the black market either. The Gov. would tax it sure but all that would do is give the Cartels incentive to keep selling drugs the same way they are now and they would be able to open up Crack Marts in every city.
    I agree Sugarhighwolf legalizing illegal substances would become a nightmare for Mexico and the U.S.

Isn't every drug bust entering the US related to this article?

President of another country lobbying for the drug trade?

Where is Hamid KARZAI lobby? WAKE UP people. This is a big time takeover.
    cannot become thoroughly Americans if you think of yourselves in groups. President Woodrow Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by TakingBackSoCal
    Isn't every drug bust entering the US related to this article?

President of another country lobbying for the drug trade?

Where is Hamid KARZAI lobby? WAKE UP people. This is a big time takeover.
    A person do not support something, unless they will gain something for their support.

And the solution is to fend for US citizens.

All the work produced by them.

I can rant on yet we, as a country have all the workers ready at any moment to supply any legalized drug.

AMERICANS need jobs and illegals removed.........

Quote Originally Posted by Pisces_2010

I agree Sugarhighwolf legalizing illegal substances would become a nightmare for Mexico and the U.S.
    Ask yourself WHO would stand to gain by the legalization of drugs and you have your answer. Follow the money.
    ...I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid...

William Barret Travis
    Letter From The Alamo Feb 24, 1836

I agree, bad idea. Maybe if we decriminalize murder, less of it will happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast