Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Families of Detained Workers Consider Legal Options

http://www.nebraska.tv/news/local/4909891.html

In little over a month, Marana Garcia will give birth to her first child. But her boyfriend may not be there, after a raid at the Swift packing plant.

"The truth is I think is was not fair," Garcia said through an interpreter.

Garcia enlisted an attorney in her search for her boyfriend Ricardo.

"I want to see if we can get information on where he's at, where they have him," she said.

Attorneys say federal agents will likely tell detained workers they don't have many choices.

"'We'll take you back right now if you sign the paper, or else we'll charge you with a crime.' I'm afraid people will be taken out that can't file something," attorney Derek Mitchell said.

Options are limited. Those with families could fight in court to avoid being deported. For now, lawyers say they just want to talk to detainees.

Mitchell said, "There's an 800 number we've tried to get through but it's full."

The government says these workers weren't just here illegally, they allegedly stole the identity of American citizens. That could make this more than an immigration issue, but a criminal matter.

"I think it was framed that way for a reason -- identify theft. But under Nebraska law what that is is criminal impersonation. If you earn more than $1500 using a false identity it's a class three felony," Michell said.

Marana knows her boyfriend may not get papers to work again. She says Ricardo's not a criminal, and deserves to a phone call.

"To at least let them call their families and let them know they're OK and where they're at," she said.

Families of detained workers say they're victims in this, that their families are being ripped apart at Christmas.

Government agents, however, say they knew they had false IDs, and say the victims are those whose IDs were stolen.

Reporter's Notes by Steve White:
    Milo Mumgaard, from Nebraska Appleseed said the government is trying to look tough by connecting immigration to identity theft. He said that "paints over the fact its enforcing a broken system." His group supports rights for immigrants. He said this effort to play up the identity theft angle, as he called it, doesn't deal with the demand for labor at packing plants.

Union officials tell NTV detained workers were taken to Iowa to be processed by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) the agency that was once part of the INS, the Immigration and Naturalization Service.

Banned
    Families of detained workers say they're victims in this, that their families are being ripped apart at Christmas.
    Yes, they are victims. They are victims of their family members who broke the law and got caught. They are also victims of their own poor judgment which led them to commit crimes or to consort with others who did so. I have less than zero sympathy, and I don't give a rat's skinny behind what happens to their little anchor ragamuffins. They can all rot for all I care, because they are not Americans, they are not honest and decent people, and even if someof them have somehow managed to wangle American citizenship, I don't consider anyone who aids foreigners invading our country to be a loyal American. What's more, when their own wretched country arrests an American for violating their laws, there is no kid gloves treatment. The jails are often as not more like medieval dungeons than modern penal facilities, and chances are that not only will the American or other foreign citizen not be flown or buses home, he will likely be held for ransom until his family can come up with exorbitant fines and other fees.

They committed fraud and they entered this country illegally, do they are absolutely criminals. Stealing or using fake Social Security numbers is a FELONY. These people like to ignore that word, just as they like to ignore the fact that they are ILLEGAL in the first place.

MW
    In little over a month, Marana Garcia will give birth to her first child. But her boyfriend may not be there, after a raid at the Swift packing plant.

"The truth is I think is was not fair," Garcia said through an interpreter.
    I assume, since the woman had to use an interpreter, she is an illegal immigrant. Her name is Marana Garcia - go get her ICE and send her home before she delivers her bundle of burden at our expense!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

The girlfriend, Garcia, is getting ready to give birth?! Another anchor baby. If she is illegal too, they should deport her along with her boyfriend before she gives birth. Not our responsibility. I am so sick of this. They are victims?! BS!!!!!
    Deportacion? Si Se Puede!

Having a fraudulent social security # has been the norm for so long with illegals they don't think there is anything wrong with it. I've heard too many nightmare stories about people's ss#'s being used by others and the mess they have to go through to get it resolved! Maybe this will happen to a relative of a Congress person, then we'd see action fast.
    And you know what? The feds don't mind these people putting into the social security system, it is money sent to the govrnment afterall.
    This situation burns me up so bad I could scream.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

That's what my children say, "It's not fair." Maria, let's sit down (bring your interpreter) and have a talk about what's fair or not...
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)