Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Farmers Branch to Consider Illegal Immigration Measure

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/state/15323358.htm

Farmers Branch to consider illegal immigration measureAssociated Press
    FARMERS BRANCH, Texas - A city councilman wants to follow the lead of other towns by making it tougher for illegal immigrants to live and work in this Dallas suburb.

City Councilman Tim O'Hare blames undocumented immigrants for much of the city's problems. He wants the City Council to consider prohibiting landlords from leasing to illegal immigrants, penalizing businesses that employ undocumented workers, making English the city's official language, ceasing publication of any documents in Spanish and eliminating subsidies for illegal immigrants in the city's youth programs.

"The reason I got on the City Council was because I saw our property values declining or increasing at a level that was below the rate of inflation," O'Hare said. "When that happens, people move out of our neighborhoods, and what I would call less desirable people move into the neighborhoods, people who don't value education, people who don't value taking care of their properties."

Advocates say adopting such an ordinance would be racist.

"I'm sure the Statue of Liberty must be crying right now, knowing some of our subjects in this great democracy of ours are conjuring up to make life more miserable for those who are here trying to eke out a living, contributing to our great country through their sweat and tears, only looking for what our forefathers were looking for when they came here," said Hector Flores, immediate past national president of the League of United Latin American Citizens.

City council members were scheduled to discuss the tough immigration-related measures on Monday, but no formal decision would be made at the meeting.

The provisions to be discussed echo a strict illegal immigration ordinance passed by Hazleton, Pa. last month. That city's ordinance inspired nearly a dozen other local governments throughout the nation to consider their own laws targeting illegal immigration.

The ACLU, the Puerto Rican Legal Defense and Education Fund and other groups filed a lawsuit challenging Hazleton's ordinance. The suit contends the ordinance is discriminatory and unworkable. It also said the Constitution gives the federal government exclusive power to regulate immigration.

Farmers Branch Mayor Bob Phelps said he fears the city could get sued if the measures O'Hare wants are enacted.

"We have a council member or two that want to push this, but I don't think now is the time," Phelps said. "Until we get some clear understanding of what can be done, or what the United States is going to do, it's hard for us in Farmers Branch, being a little town of 27,000, to do anything."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Information from: The Dallas Morning News, http://www.dallasnews.com

AAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm doing the happy dance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

steelerbaby,
    That's home of the Dallas Cowboys!!!!!!!!! Na na na na Ha ha ha ha

This news made my day. This is great!!!!!!!

Hey, our Titans are not scheduled to clash this year.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Dixie: Must share a story with you. My dear mother was a die hard Steeler fan as was her dad (third generation die-hard here). She absolutely hated the Oilers and especially Bum Philips After a bitter loss to them, my brother-in-law called and starting singing, "we're the Houston Oilers" fight song and my mom screamed, go to hell and slammed down the phone. This from a woman who rarely raised her voice and hardly ever cussed I'm glad she lived to see the 4 superbowl victories in the 70's and I have a feeling she saw the 5th victory from heaven

I felt the same way about the Houston Oilers. I didn't even like shareing the same state with them.

OMG, I'm so conflicted. I love football and I'm anxious for the season to kickoff. I got so excited about the FB city council that I forgot Valley Ranch is the home of the Dallas Cowboys. Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

The illegals are not going to interfere with my football. I'm going to have to switch them off!

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    Dixie wrote:

I felt the same way about the Houston Oilers. I didn't even like shareing the same state with them.
    Oh no! After my Dallas Cowboys, the Houston Oilers were my team!

I actually played against Earl Campbell during my high school football years (once). I wasn't in the Tyler district (I can't remember if the high school was John Tyler or Tyler Lee, but it was one of them), but we did play them in a pre-season game. Earl was a man-child in high school and extremely difficult to stop - of course his history in professional football speaks for itself. Another famous player I had the opportuity to play against in high school was Billy Simms, whom played for Hooks High School (actually it wasn't a game, but a scrimmage). I attended Texas Senior High (Tigers) in Texarkana, TX. Oh, and I played against C&W singer Charlie Pride's son too - his son wasn't a football great, but I thought it was cool playing against him (pre-season game). He played for Dallas Jesuit (Charlie sang the National Anthem before the game). Darn, I have a lot of great memories from my high school football days and the mention of the Houston Oilers brought them flooding back. Thank you.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW: Glad you enjoyed the trip down memory lane We will over look the fact that the Oilers were your second favorite team. I understand that not everyone can be a PITTSBURGH STEELER fan

Dixie: I hear you about football season. Pre season blows I am glad that I am a Nascar fan to divert my attention until football season. My boy Jeff Burton had a horrible race yesterday. Blew an engine on lap 18 and finished 42 Dropped to 9th in points. I miss going to the Richmond race twice a year. I'll make a deal, I'll root for the Cowboys this year if you will root for the Stillers. They don't play each other, unless they make it to the Superbowl and God help us if that happens

The ACLU, the Puerto Rican Legal Defense and Education Fund and other groups filed a lawsuit challenging Hazleton's ordinance. The suit contends the ordinance is discriminatory and unworkable. It also said the Constitution gives the federal government exclusive power to regulate immigration.
    Gee, I don't know you could sue someone for having an "unworkable" plan. As for regulating immigration, the city is not trying to regulate immigration, just illegal acvtivity. Besides, federal law defines them as illegal aliens, not immigrants. Therefore, stopping illegal activity is not related to immigration. What legal standing does the ACLU or PRLDEF have in Hazleton anyway? Their suit should be thrown out of court.
    REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER!

MW
    Steelerbabe wrote:

MW: Glad you enjoyed the trip down memory lane We will over look the fact that the Oilers were your second favorite team. I understand that not everyone can be a PITTSBURGH STEELER fan
    Especially not a Dallas Cowboy fan of the 70's!!!!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

That's home of the Dallas Cowboys!!!!!!!!!
    Dallas Cowboys?? I've heard of them. Are they a football team?

I guess we will find out on Sept 17th.
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee

Artist/Band: Daniels Charlie
    Lyrics for Song: In America
    Lyrics for Album: A Decade of Hits
    Well the eagle's been flying slow and the flag's been flying low
    And a lot of people are saying that America's fixing to fall
    But speaking just for me and some people from Tennessee
    We got a thing or two to tell you all
    This lady may have stumbled but she ain't never fell
    And if the Russians don't believe that they can all go straight to hell
    We're gonna put her feet back on the path of righteousness
    And then God bless America again