O'Hare brings his message to GOP in Irving

Both sides of illegal immigration debate express concerns at talk

Video
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... &catId=513

08:01 AM CDT on Wednesday, March 28, 2007
By KATHERINE LEAL UNMUTH / The Dallas Morning News
kunmuth@dallasnews.com

Farmers Branch City Council member Tim O'Hare crossed city lines Tuesday night to bring his message of fighting illegal immigration locally to an enthusiastic audience of Irving Republicans.

"What I'm doing I think is needed in our city, and I think it's needed in cities and states across the country," Mr. O'Hare told the crowd.

Irving has experienced a huge influx of immigrants, mainly Hispanics, in recent years, and roughly a third of its residents are foreign-born.

At one point, Mr. O'Hare poked fun at Irving Mayor Herbert Gears, who has said he would oppose similar efforts in Irving and would like to raise funds for politicians opposing ordinances proposed in Farmers Branch.

Elections 2007: Read the latest stories, learn about the issues facing the next Dallas mayor, access candidate Web sites and more.
"I understand that I won't be getting a Christmas card from Herbert," Mr. O'Hare told the audience, prompting laughter. "But I did not come here to tell Irving what to do."

Instead he urged residents to vote politicians out of office if they don't share their stance on the issue. Voters in Farmers Branch will decide in May whether to ban apartment owners from renting to most illegal immigrants.

Mr. O'Hare addressed about 100 residents at a Greater Irving Republican Club meeting at the First Church of the Nazarene.

"I think it's important for communities to stand in solidarity with one another on issues of national security," said Sue Richardson, the club's vice president, who extended the invitation.

Before the meeting, a group of about 20 residents walked around the church shouting, "Tim O'Hare, go home." Among them was Pedro Portillo, pastor of a Lutheran church in Irving, Santa Maria de Guadalupe.

"I'm here to support all immigrants. They are humans, not criminals," said Mr. Portillo, an immigrant from El Salvador.

Inside, the meeting opened with a prayer led by resident Lucia Rottenberg, who praised Mr. O'Hare for his courage, and the singing of "The Star-Spangled Banner." Many in attendance wore clothing depicting American flags.

"I do feel you can be a Christian and feel this way about this issue," Mr. O'Hare said.

Several Farmers Branch residents opposed to the ordinance also attended. Among them was Jim Manning, a leader of Uniting Farmers Branch, who said the issue had divided his community. When several handed out leaflets opposing the ordinances, a number of Irving residents ripped up the fliers.

At the close of the meeting, residents expressed their frustrations on a number of issues.

T.J. Franklin complained about the impact on the schools.

"My wife and I are in our mid-80s and we're paying school taxes for these illegals to feed them lunch, and we don't think that's fair," he said.

Irving City Council member Beth Van Duyne thanked Mr. O'Hare for attending the event and criticized Mr. Gears' comments to The Dallas Morning News that he would like to help raise money for people running for office in Farmers Branch who opposed the ordinance.

"I think it's irresponsible to call out another city," she said. "What I would like to see in Irving is an open and honest discussion about the issue."

Ms. Van Duyne said she would like to see Irving find its own solutions, though she stopped short of saying she wanted Irving to consider the same ordinances as Farmers Branch has.

Mr. Gears has said he does not want anti-illegal immigrant sentiments to spread to Irving and divide it as they have Farmers Branch.

On Thursday, an Irving City Council meeting grew contentious when residents voiced support and opposition for Irving's joining a federal immigration enforcement program. A pair of dueling petitions has circulated. Council members decided last fall against joining the program.

dallasnews.com