Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Farmers Branch, TX - Immigration vote has two sides racing

Posted on Mon, May. 07, 2007

Immigration vote has two sides racing
    By PATRICK McGEE
    Star-Telegram staff writer

Opponents of Farmers Branch's actions against illegal immigration get out the vote at Cuquitas Restaurant on Saturday afternoon. They called residents to remind them to vote and car-pooled voters to City Hall to cast their ballots.

FARMERS BRANCH -- Political activists are hustling to get out the vote as a high-profile municipal election approaches on how to deal with illegal immigration.

On Saturday's ballot are two City Council seats and an up-or-down vote on an ordinance that would ban people from renting apartments in Farmers Branch if they cannot show proof of citizenship or legal residency.

Two candidates strongly support the council's stand against illegal immigration, and three oppose it. Residents and outside groups have divided into two intensely busy armies laboring to get like-minded voters to the polls.

The council voted 5-0 in November to make English the city's official language and to have a police officer trained to coordinate with federal officials on the enforcement of immigration laws. The council also voted unanimously to ban illegal immigrants from renting apartments in the city.

The moves drew the attention of immigration activists and have attracted four lawsuits. The council has since tweaked the rental ban and put off its implementation unless voters approve it.

Political action committees on both sides were born. Their coffers swelled by thousands of dollars. Their leaders pledged victory at the ballot box.

Both sides say they've planted hundreds of campaign signs, stuffed envelopes, worked the phones and walked many blocks going door to door to talk to residents.

For the ordinance

In early voting, the number of ballots cast has already more than doubled the total of the last election. Supporters of Ordinance 2903, the only referendum on the ballot, said they're hopeful but are pushing forward as if they do not have a vote to spare.

"I am working as if I am well behind, but I am encouraged by the size of the turnout," said Tim Scott, a candidate for Place 1. "I am cautiously optimistic." He faces Jose Galvez and Berry Grubbs, both of whom oppose the ordinance.

Robin Bernier, treasurer of Support Farmers Branch, which is pushing for the ordinance's passage, takes the same approach.

"I know we're going to win, but we can't relax," she said.

Her group has raised $6,185.

Frank Mages thinks voters will approve the measure in a landslide that will reverberate beyond the city.

As the owner of a plumbing company, Mages goes to many Farmers Branch homes, and says he constantly hears support for the ordinance. He thinks it will pass and snowball into something stronger.

"I think 2903 will become House Bill 2903. I think it should start here," he said. "We should give an example."

Against the ordinance

Opponents were a little more guarded in predicting victory; some foresee outright defeat.

"I don't think we're going to win the 2903," resident Rick Lyon said.

Lyon has spoken out against the ban at council meetings. But after talking to many other residents, he says he believes he's in the minority.

Candidate Tony Salerno, another opponent of the ban, is a bit more optimistic. "We definitely made up some ground," he said. "I think we started behind. I think it's going to be a close election; I just think we need to have a good turnout."

Salerno is running for Place 4 against David Koch, who supports the ordinance.

Activist Paul Heller also said his side spotted the other a head start. "We started from a point that was way down and now I think we're competitive, so I'm hopefully optimistic," Heller said.

Christopher McGuire said he "got all kinds of hell" from activists on his side after he told the media that he thought his side would lose 2-to-1.

But there's still room for hope, said Travis Carter, treasurer of Let the Voters Decide, which opposes the ordinance.

"We're optimistic that if the people who are opposed to this ordinance will get to the polls, we will win," he said.

Carter is the president of Carter Public Relations, which was hired by Bickel & Brewer, a law firm that has filed two of the four lawsuits against Farmers Branch. The two Dallas businesses ran a successful petition drive to put the ordinance on the ballot. The law firm gave $40,000 to Let the Voters Decide, according to campaign reports. Carter Public Relations donated $2,500 and later made a $9,258.46 no-interest loan.

Patrick McGee, 817-685-3806
    pmcgee@star-telegram.com

http://www.star-telegram.com/189/story/93592.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Don't take anything for granted!

WHO'S VOTING WHO'S DEAD or ILLEGAL?

The ILLEGAL ALIEN supporters play DIRTY.
    After all, isn't that how it's done south of the border?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Two votes on the pro side are going in this Saturday (my boyfriend and I)!!!

EVERY VOTE COUNTS!!!

I'm amazed that we're already at around 1,600 votes with EARLY voting!! (The last local election had 800 total votes). I'm going to be biting my nails to hear the results on late Saturday night or Sunday morning!!!

What no one has said is whether or not the lawsuits will continue if the PEOPLE of Farmers Branch vote FOR Prop 2903!! If the people speak out, will the lawsuits be dropped, or will they continue to try to bleed our poor little city dry of funds!! (And I've heard that the city council can vote AGAINST the new ordinance, which is also why it's so important to get Tim Scott and David Koch elected.)

NOTE FOR ALIPAC SUPPORTERS WHO LIVE IN DALLAS:

Looks like there will be a debate on Prop 2903 this Thursday, May 10th in the Farmers Branch area.

I know the location (a local hotel), and I'll soon know the time (that evening). If you're interested, please PM me and I'll give you the information. (Sorry, but I just got a quick phone call message about it and it went so fast I didn't get it all. I'll have to call to find out the info at lunch today). Tim Scott and David Koch will be there, along with several other speakers. I have no idea whether this is a true debate with the FOR's vs. the AGAINST Prop 2903 or not. I don't want to post all the info here, just in case the AGAINST group tries to crash the event and cause trouble.

It would be great to have a few local ALIPAC supporters there!! (I hope I can make it, as I have a 5pm doctor's appointment that I can't cancel that day. Grrr!!)

TexasGal

My aunt and uncle live in FB and they are so happy to vote on this.
    I want to know the number of registered voters vs the number of actual votes cast. Also how many new registrations have occurred since this was decided to go to the voters?

Quote Originally Posted by Dagmar
    My aunt and uncle live in FB and they are so happy to vote on this.
    I want to know the number of registered voters vs the number of actual votes cast. Also how many new registrations have occurred since this was decided to go to the voters?
    BINGO