Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Farmers fear tighter supply of immigrant workers this year

Farmers fear tighter supply of immigrant workers this year

March 15, 2006

OMEGA, Ga. (AP) -- Farmers in Georgia and other farm states believe their immigrant labor may be tighter this year. Some believe their regular workers were lured away to the Gulf Coast by the promise of higher wages for jobs associated with hurricane recovery.

Other farm workers have switched to local factory and construction jobs. Some farm groups also believe increased enforcement along the Mexican border also may have curbed the number of illegal immigrants with false documents that get "entry-level" jobs like picking fruits and vegetables.

There are also indications anti-immigrant civilian groups such as the Minutemen have discouraged farm workers who could enter the country legally.

Vidalia onion growers in south Georgia noticed the shortage during the planting season in November and December. Citrus growers in Florida, fruit growers in Washington and vegetable growers in California's Imperial Valley all reported a tighter supply of farm workers last harvest season.

And some wonder if that could be a sign of even greater problems this year. The president of the 60-member Georgia Blueberry Growers Association -- Joe Cornelius -- says the farm labor supply seems tighter this year.

But growers will have to wait until harvest in eight to ten weeks before they know for sure.

(Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.) APNP-03-15-06 0816EST

I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

There are also indications anti-immigrant civilian groups such as the Minutemen have discouraged farm workers who could enter the country legally.
    BS! I doubt very seriously LEGAL farm workers are deterred by Minutemen since they aren't sneaking in thru the desert in the first place.

These "poor farmers" need to get of their back pockets in order to keep their legal workers since the construction creeps are willing to pay them better.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I don't give a damn about those 'illegal' farmers, their farms can rot for all I care.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I grow my own vegetables every year just so I don't have to buy cheap tomatoes picked by illegal immigrants. And what the hell's wrong with putting prisoners out into the fields to pick tomatoes and onions? By gosh, we have to pay to feed them, let them earn their upkeep. I know, some will argue that we would need extra guards to watch over the convicts, but would it not be a whole helluva lot cheaper to hire a few extra guards that pay for the services we are providing MILLONS OF ILLEGALS? I'm so fed up with the whining of these people!
    "My ancestors gave their life for America, the least I can do is fight to preserve the rights they died for"