Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

Fate of immigration reform hinges on election

Obama: Fate of immigration reform hinges on electionBy Michael O'Brien - 10/25/10 12:27 PM ET
    The fate of comprehensive immigration reform hinges in large part on Nov. 2's elections, President Obama said Monday in an appeal to Latino voters.

The president said that he was short on votes to pass immigration reform in Congress, and that major Republican victories on Election Day could further imperil his ability to pass a bill that reforms the immigration system and provides a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants.

"If the Latino community decides to sit out this election, then there will be fewer votes and it will be less likely to get done," Obama said on the "PiolÃ*n por la Mañana" program on Univision Radio.

The warning from Obama comes as part of a broader effort by the administration in recent weeks to drive up turnout among voting blocs that are considered typically supportive of Democrats. Obama has made appeals to young and first-time voters from 2008, as well as African-American voters, in order to help House and Senate Democrats stave off the kinds of heavy losses that would hand Congress to Republicans.

Obama said he understood Latinos' frustration that he hadn't been able to follow through on his promise to push for immigration reform. But the president said that since he couldn't even get all Democrats on board, he'd need Republicans help.

"First of all, on immigration reform, I can't get 100 percent of Democrats. I can get 90 percent of Democrats, but I can't get 100 percent," he said. "Right now on immigration reform, we're eight votes short or 10 votes short, so we have do the work behind the scenes to build the groundswell of support that can get us then over the finish line."

"I'm not asking for 100 percent support from Republicans. I'm not asking even for 50 percent support from Republicans," Obama later added. "I just want a little bit of support so that I can actually get this thing passed."

The president pointed to one Republican candidate — Nevada Senate candidate Sharron Angle, who's challenging Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D) — as an example of a GOP candidate who, if they win, would make comprehensive immigration reform more difficult.

Obama's comments could weigh heavily on some races in the closing days of the campaign, motivating Democrats and Latinos to vote, but also Republicans as well. Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer (R) saw a surge in support after she led her state to enact one of the toughest laws against illegal immigrants earlier this year. Other races in the West and Southwest — in states like California, Arizona, Nevada and Colorado — could see immigration become a salient factor in voters' decisions.

Latino voters, the president said, would have an opportunity to send a message to Republicans, who Obama accused of "politicizing" immigration reform and the border security debate. Obama said "pressure has to be put on the Republican Party" if immigration reform is to become a reality.

"And if Latinos sit out the election instead of saying, we're gonna punish our enemies and we're gonna reward our friends who stand with us on issues that are important to us, if they don't see that kind of upsurge in voting in this election, then I think it's gonna be harder — and that's why I think it's so important that people focus on voting on November 2," he said.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... n-election

Obamadinejad makes me sick. How the hell did he get elected? That's just what this country needs, illiterate people/ These people fled a country that was oppresive and does nothing for its citizens, you would think that they would embrace America and try to assimilate and not vote for the same type of people that run their country. They should no by now that handouts don't work and the government CAN"T take care of you.

I just read my post. I am trying to watch Dancing with the stars and I am not watching my spelling. You are probably saying talk about illiterate!!!!!

Obama wants their votes so he won't be investigated plane and simple. He is using them and when will they wake up and smell the deceit.
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

Latino voters, the president said, would have an opportunity to send a message to Republicans, who Obama accused of "politicizing" immigration reform and the border security debate. Obama said "pressure has to be put on the Republican Party" if immigration reform is to become a reality.

"And if Latinos sit out the election instead of saying, we're gonna punish our enemies and we're gonna reward our friends who stand with us on issues that are important to us, if they don't see that kind of upsurge in voting in this election, then I think it's gonna be harder — and that's why I think it's so important that people focus on voting on November 2," he said.
    What Obama doesn't understand is that this is the election where Americans are sending messages to each other to remind us all that what's good for one is good for another, and illegal immigration isn't good for any of US, no matter what your ethnic heritage may be.

Why would voter-registered US citizens who are described by these idiot pro-illegal politicians as "Latino" want a neighborhood or a work place or a shopping center, street corner, park, hospital, school, or welfare office full of illegal aliens? Isn't it way past time Latinos stood up and said I'm an American who wants my job, neighborhood, streets, parks, stores, hospitals, schools and tax dollars protected against the ravages of illegal immigration the same as any other American Citizen?

I would certainly think so. How degrading it must be for our fellow citizens of Hispanic, Hispano, or Latino descent to have to listen election after election, campaign after campaign to a bunch of treasonous politicians separate them from America and isolate them in a class with illegal aliens to gain support for the legalization of illegal aliens so these lawbreakers can steal their jobs, put them out of business, raise their taxes, mooch off the welfare state, create work and expense for the police state and steal the futures of their children the same as any American?
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn