Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

FBI Arrests Suspect in Slaying of Marine

FBI Arrests Suspect in Slaying of Marine

By ESTES THOMPSON – 1 hour ago

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — A Marine wanted for the brutal slaying of a pregnant colleague who had accused him of rape was arrested Thursday night in Mexico after a three-month international manhunt, authorities said.

FBI agents and Mexican authorities arrested Marine Cpl. Cesar Laurean around 7 p.m. EDT. He is charged with murder in the death of Marine Lance Cpl. Maria Lauterbach, whose burned remains were found in January in the back yard of his home near Camp Lejeune.

Magdalena Guzman, a spokeswoman for Michoacan, Mexico, state prosecutors office, said Laurean was detained by Mexican police on a street in the small town of Tacambaro, Michoacan. Police said Laurean matched a description circulated by U.S. authorities, Guzman said.

The FBI said Laurean is awaiting extradition to the U.S.

"Laurean's swift arrest in Mexico was due to the diligence and dedication of the Mexican government and our law enforcement partners," Nathan Gray, the special agent in charge of the FBI's Charlotte office, said in a statement.

"This was truly an international effort, and we will do all we can to ensure Laurean is brought back to Onslow County (N.C.) as quickly as possible to answer the charges against him."

Onslow County District Attorney Dewey Hudson said after Laurean's arrest was announced that "it could be a year or two" before authorities are able to bring the personnel clerk back to North Carolina if he decides to fight the extradition process.

"The extradition process is one where you have a right to appeal," Hudson told The Associated Press. "I have no idea whether he would waive extradition."

Authorities believe Laurean killed the 20-year-old Lauterbach, an Ohio native who was eight months pregnant when she died, in mid-December. Detectives have said he left behind a note for his wife in which he denied killing Lauterbach but admitted to burying her remains.

In the note, Laurean said Lauterbach committed suicide by cutting her own throat.

Authorities rejected the assertion, saying evidence indicates Lauterbach died of blunt force trauma to the head.

Tipped by the note, and not long after authorities went public in their search for the Lauterbach, detectives discovered the charred remains of the missing Marine and her fetus in a shallow grave in Laurean's backyard.

Phone messages seeking comment left at Lauterbach's parents' home in Vandalia, Ohio, with Lauterbach's uncle Pete Steiner, and with family attorney Chris Conard were not immediately returned late Thursday. A woman who answered the phone at the home of Laurean's father-in-law, Bruce Shifflet, near Prospect, Ohio, hung up without commenting when told of the arrest.

Should Laurean be returned to North Carolina to stand trial, it would be unlikely he would face the death penalty. Hudson agreed not to seek an execution in order to win the cooperation of Mexico authorities, who refuse to send anyone back to the U.S. unless provided assurance they won't face a death sentence.

"We had intel that he had gone back to America to visit his family in Las Vegas and I was hoping they would arrest him in America," Hudson said. "But they didn't. This is a case that certainly is deserving to be tried as a capital case."

Associated Press writer Mark Stevenson in Mexico City contributed to this report.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jLAx ... gD8VVDA4G1
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

They got him finally. Good.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Apr 11, 12:23 AM EDT

Mexico Catches Suspect in Marine Killing

By TRACI CARL
    Associated Press Writer

MORELIA, Mexico (AP) -- Chained at the wrists and ankles, the American Marine wanted in the brutal slaying of a pregnant colleague stared straight ahead Thursday night, but his eyes occasionally filled up with tears as he answered a reporter's questions.

Cpl. Cesar Laurean was presented by police in the small town of Tacambaro, in western Mexico, hours after Mexico authorities arrested him.

Appearing a bit disoriented, he spoke briefly with The Associated Press while being held at the Michoacan state Attorney General's Office in Morelia, the state capital.

"You know my name. You know who I am," said the bearded Laurean, who was wearing a red Aeropostal shirt. Asked if he wanted to say anything, Laurean simply said "Proof," but wouldn't explain.

Questioned on what he would do next, he replied, "do I have a choice?... I don't know."

Laurean had told police that he had been sleeping in fields and eating avocados and other fruit he found there.

He faces first-degree murder charges in the death of Marine Lance Cpl. Maria Lauterbach.

Magdalena Guzman, a spokeswoman for Michoacan state prosecutors, said police carrying out an anti-kidnapping operation stopped Laurean as he wandered on a street because they thought he looked suspicious.

When they realized he didn't speak Spanish well, they became even more suspicious. After running his name through a computer - and recognizing his distinctive tattoos - they realized that the United States wants him extradited to face charges in the death of Marine Lance Cpl. Maria Lauterbach.

U.S. Ambassador Tony Garza said in a statement that the arrest "is a clear message to all would-be fugitives from U.S. law that Mexico will not provide them refuge."

The arrest caps a three-month international manhunt after Lauterbach's burned remains were found in January in the back yard of his home near the Camp Lejeune military installation in North Carolina.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/ ... 1-00-23-35

U.S. Ambassador Tony Garza said in a statement that the arrest "is a clear message to all would-be fugitives from U.S. law that Mexico will not provide them refuge."

But we are expected to give refuge to their illegal invaders..

AE

Fox news stated that Mexico wants us to not give him the death penalty as he is considered a Mexican citizen. Now if he is a Mexican citizen, then how, and why was he in the Marines, and in what manner did he and his family come here and was it all legal?

When they realized he didn't speak Spanish well, they became even more suspicious.
    So they can "profile" down there, but our police can't? Seems like a huge double standard to me.
    “In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot.â€

If the DA is thinking on his feet he is holding the murder charge of the the unborn baby till they get this peace of.... back in NC.. Up yours Mexico
    [/img]
    **Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "man, what a rid

AE

Very good point Harleycritter, if they did, then would that mean, if found guilty by a jury (like that is going to be a tough thing to do..), then they could give him the death penalty? I truly hope this is the case, it would be real justice for this woman and her child.
    “In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot.â€

My understanding so far is he gets amnesty from the death sentence on Maria. Nothing has been said in a long time about the baby. I have a gut feeling the DA is keeping his cards close to his chest on this for now. But I sure hope he is thinking about frying him on the baby. If I recall correctly she was due at the time she came up missing.
    **Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "man, what a rid

AE

Yes she was.