Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

FBI: Thousands of PR children victims of ID theft

FBI: Thousands of PR children victims of ID theft

By DANICA COTO, The Associated Press
    12:29 p.m. March 31, 2009

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico — An identity-theft ring that catered to illegal immigrants seeking to establish themselves in the U.S. stole the personal data of 7,000 public school children in Puerto Rico, officials said Tuesday.
    Members of the ring broke into about 50 schools across the U.S. island territory over the past two years to steal birth certificates and Social Security numbers to sell to the illegal immigrants, the FBI and other agencies announced at a news conference.

The victims were largely unaware their information had been stolen – and likely would not have learned of the thefts until they became adults and tried to buy something on credit, said assistant U.S. Attorney Julia Diaz Rex.

"A kid is going to have a perfect credit history," Diaz said. "They reach 18, 20 years of age. They go buy a car and their credit is damaged."

The authorities did not disclose how they uncovered the ring but said seven people have been arrested and one more is being sought. At least some of them were illegal immigrants from the Dominican Republic.

Investigators determined the birth certificates and Social Security numbers were sold as a package in a number of states including Texas, Alaska and California, for up to $250, authorities said.

Two suspects are accused of possessing nearly 6,000 birth certificates and Social Security cards. One was accused of intending to sell 40 Social Security cards for nearly $3,000, while another was seeking the same amount for 12 cards.

The suspects in custody were being held on charges that include aggravated identity theft and social security fraud and face up to 15 years in prison, said U.S. Attorney Rosa Emilia Rodriguez.

One suspect had been previously arrested for the kidnapping of a Dominican man last year that led to the shooting of a police officer during an FBI raid, said Luis Fraticelli, special FBI agent in charge of Puerto Rico.
    It is unclear if other members of the ring are at large, and whether they received help from school officials, Rodriguez said.

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/ ... ndex=75302
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

FBI: Thousands of Puerto Ricans victims of ID theft

April 1, 2009 -- Updated 1348 GMT (2148 HKT)

FBI: Thousands of Puerto Ricans victims of ID theft

By Mayra Cuevas Nazario
    CNN

(CNN) -- As many as 12,000 Puerto Rican schoolchildren, teachers and school administrators are believed to be victims of an identity-theft ring that sold stolen personal documents to illegal immigrants in the mainland United States, according to the FBI.

A federal grand jury this week indicted eight people on charges of identity theft, aggravated identity theft and Social Security fraud.

"In search warrants, we found over 5,000 different types of identification documents -- originals and copies, Social Security cards and birth certificates," FBI spokesman Harry Rodriguez said in a telephone interview Tuesday from San Juan.

"They were selling them as a set; an original birth certificate and Social Security card sold for $150 or more. Copies sold for $40 or more," he said.

Rodriguez called it the biggest case of identity theft in his 15 years with the FBI in Puerto Rico.

The investigation began after a string of school burglaries swept the island in 2007, said Lymarie Llovet-Ayala, a spokeswoman for the U.S. attorney's office.

Authorities believe the suspects broke into about 50 public schools and stole personal files belonging to students, teachers and school administrators. In Puerto Rico, students must provide an original or a copy of their birth certificate to be registered in a school.

"They are children; they don't have credit cards or property so it is much harder to detect identity theft," Llovet-Ayala said. "We are in the process of identifying all the victims."

Llovet-Ayala said authorities have been able to identify buyers of stolen identification materials in Texas, Alaska and California, where ring members mailed documents to different contacts.

The seven men and one woman indicted Monday -- some from Puerto Rico and some from the Dominican Republic -- face up to 15 years in a federal prison, with fines up to $250,000 if they are convicted, she said.

The suspects had their first hearing Tuesday and are being held in a federal prison in Puerto Rico. Authorities are searching for another suspect, she said.

The Puerto Rican suspects will have their bail hearing Wednesday. The Dominican suspects will appear in court April 13. The agency for Immigration and Customs Enforcement will take over the latter group once they have been processed in Puerto Rico.

The U.S. attorney's office has asked potential victims to contact the FBI at 787-754-6000 or 877-324-7577.

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/ameri ... ico.theft/
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

When (or will we ever) are we going to crack down on the people who buy the stolen SSNs and birth certificates?
    Mexico likes to say that the U.S. is responsible for their drug cartels, because if Americans didn't buy the drugs, the cartels would be out of business. Is Mexico taking responsibility for their citizens who buy stolen SSNs and birth certificates, ruining the credit of American children?
    I had a child last spring. When I didn't receive her SSN in the mail by fall, I called Social Security, who told me the only thing they knew was it was mailed, they did have our correct address, and it was not returned. So I wonder if someone (I live in a neighborhood with a ton of people who don't speak English) is using her SSN and her name, the name we gave HER, not the person who has her original card. I know my mailbox didn't appear to have been broken into, I also know I was obviously pregnant, and anyone who lived near here could see that, and possibly wait for her SSN, but the only possibility I can come up with is the person who delivers mail. The cards come in an envelope marked that they are from Social Security, he knew I was pregnant, after I had her, I lost weight fast so it was obvious she had been born, and he is very friendly with the Spanish speakers in the complex. I asked Social Security if I could get her a new number. They said no. I asked if they can check to see if her number is being used for employment, and again they said no. Illegals who are caught working should get jail time and huge fines, not let go. They are not "just working" they are stealing identities. It makes me so angry thinking that some illegal may be calling herself by the name I gave my child. Illegals who use stolen ID aren't innocent victims, and should stop getting treated like they are. They are well aware that using someone elses SSN is the same as claiming citizenship (unless it's a green card holders SSN, which clearly states it's for employment only), they are lawbreakers, criminals, and thieves.

Correction

Just to correct the statement that green card holders have a social security card which says for employment only. This is not true. The printed endorsement you are referring to is only applicable to those who are on non immigrant visas which give them the right to work.

Green card holders can get a card that looks just like a citizens card. So they are not immune from the identity theft problem at all.