Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Fear of foreigners drives immigration debate

An article calling us xenophobes by Ruben Navarrette Jr on May 1st, what a total surprise!

FYI we're not xenophobes, because we aren't afraid, Americans just have rights to sovereignty, security and safety.

It's perfectly legitimate for Americans to exercise them which is the opposite of those who are demanding we give them our rights.

It's OUR choice to make, not foreign nationals.

Commentary: Fear of foreigners drives immigration debate
    By Ruben Navarrette Jr.
    Special to CNN
    SAN DIEGO, California (CNN) -- This week marks the first anniversary of a series of major demonstrations over immigration reform. And while an entire year has gone by, Americans really haven't learned that much about the subject matter.

For instance, some immigration restrictionists are still playing pretend. They are still insisting that the only thing that people are concerned about is illegal immigration and that, with regard to legal immigration, America is as welcoming as ever.

What? Maybe that's true ... if we agree that -- despite the brochure -- America has never really welcomed immigrants, even the legal kind.

Those who insist otherwise point out that the United States takes in about 2 million legal immigrants annually.

Big deal. In a country of 300 million people that bills itself as the land of immigrants, taking in less than 1 percent of your population in legal immigrants is nothing to brag about.

Besides, the history is clear. In the late 1700's, Benjamin Franklin fretted over Pennsylvania becoming "a colony of aliens" thanks to German immigrants. In the mid-1800's, concerned that immigrants from the Far East wouldn't assimilate, Congress passed the Chinese Exclusion Act to keep out ... guess who. And in the early 1900's, Congress targeted Italians, Jews and Greeks by creating quotas that limited immigration by country of origin.

In each of those cases, those who tried to shut the door didn't care a whit that the people they were keeping out were coming legally. All they cared about was that the immigrants on the other side of that door were foreigners with weird languages, strange religions, and peculiar customs.

Not much has changed. Much of what's driving the current debate is the same fear of foreigners and the changes they bring.

Some groups pushing the restrictionist agenda -- such as NUMBERS USA, the Federation for American Immigration Reform and the Center for Immigration Studies, all of them started with the help of nativist John Tanton -- want to limit legal immigration as well. And Congress can't seem to debate immigration reform without declaring English the national language, even though one has nothing to do with the other.

In public opinion polls, a majority of Americans now say they want to limit all immigration, including the legal kind.

Some pundits claim that legal immigration leads to illegal immigration because, once people come to the United States legally, their relatives will follow even if it means coming illegally. On the flip side, there are those who oppose offering illegal immigrants a path to legal residency because it could make it easier for millions of additional immigrants to come into the country legally through policies that push family unification.

Others insist that the cultural concerns that come with having too much immigration -- people not learning English, changing neighborhoods, etc. -- don't go away when the immigrants in question come legally.

So let's stop pretending that it's only illegal immigration that has Americans worked up. It's immigration -- period. Along the way, we should have at least learned that much.

Ruben Navarrette Jr. is a member of the editorial board of The San Diego Union-Tribune and a nationally syndicated columnist.You can read his column here.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of the writer.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/05/01/navarr ... eref=yahoo

In public opinion polls, a majority of Americans now say they want to limit all immigration, including the legal kind.
    Which poll is this loser talking about? I've never seen a poll which asks if ALL immigration should be limited, let alone halted. As usual, Navarette spews out lies and illegitimate "facts".
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

Some people think that denigrating the opposing point of view is the way to debate an issue. Others, at least try to stay focused on such trivial things as: facts, laws, procedures and regulations.

The Americans I know - native citizens and legal permanent residents alike - are not buying the notion that those wanting strong enforcement are necessarily: <select your derogatory term dujour here>
    (ie. xenophobe, racist, "nativist", etc). After all, we already ARE a country of great diversity, already have some of, if not, the most generous, immigration laws and policies in the world. And, OUR 'immigrants' are treated much better than those in many other nations of the world.

If the author wants to live in a place where borders are few and far between, and the rule of law is a mere afterthought... I'd suggest Somalia or Afghanistan might be a more suitable country for his tastes.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

All immigration should be limited as it always has been. We especially need to limit it now until we can get control of the problem we have.
    Immigration reform should reflect a commitment to enforcement, not reward those who blatantly break the rules. - Rep Dan Boren D-Ok

My world according to Ruben Navarrette Jr.

Yea, my sister-in-law is a legal resident and citizen of another country. She scares the hell out of me. My brother in-law and another sister-in law were born in Mexico and they are real scary. My in-laws from the Philippines and China are the worst. OMG! I can't stand family gatherings, they are all out to get me! Even my Italian son-in-law. Ahhhhhhh!!!!!!! I'm doomed! Help! Help MMMMMEEEEEEE! My family is being infiltrated by Americans!!!!!!!!!!

I better get to a therapist for my xenophobia. It's chronic!

Really Navarrette, get a clue dude! It's about illegal and not race or nation of origin. Once again, your weak support of criminals relegates you to hide behind unjust accusations and name calling.

We really should stop posting his crap on this forum. It's such a waste of ban-width.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

We really should stop posting his crap on this forum. It's such a waste of ban-width.
    Bingo! - We have a winner.

MW
    kniggit wrote:

All immigration should be limited as it always has been. We especially need to limit it now until we can get control of the problem we have.
    You're absolutely right, ALL immigration is limited. Unfortunately though, the open borders crowd would prefer open borders with no limits on immigration. Of course allowing that to happen would defeat one of the reasons immigration is limited and that is assimilation. It's also limited to protect American jobs, health, and our environment. It's no secret that hundreds of million of the worlds population, between 6 and 7 billion people, would appreciate the opportunity to reside in our great country - would Navarrette have us let them all in?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

And so this validates taking the decision out of 'the peoples' hands?

Americans are now to be determined so rabid that we're unable to judge for ourselves?

Ruben Navarrette Jr attempts to disguise his rabid racism by posing as an "objective" reporter. Unfortunately, his hatred for Anglos keeps bubbling up.
    <div>Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself. Mark Twain</div>