Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Fears Surface Over Bill Denying Citizenship to Some US Born

http://news.ncmonline.com/news/view_art ... 33f0d67ee4

Fears Surface Over Bill Denying Citizenship to Some U.S.-Born Babies

Eastern Group Publications, Inc., News Report, Selene Rivera, Feb 27, 2006

LOS ANGELES – Legislation denying citizenship to children born to undocumented immigrants residing in the United States, sits quietly in Congressional subcommittee while the Senate gears up to debate a second law, HR 4437, that immigration right's groups say unfairly hurts undocumented immigrants.

And although the citizenship legislation, HR 4437, the "Border Protection and Anti-Terrorism and Illegal Immigration 2005 Control Act," does not appear to be moving quickly, many undocumented immigrants say they fear that situation could quickly change.

"At my age, my biggest dream is to have a child, but I don't want him to suffer what I've suffered as an illegal," says Los Angeles resident, Cecilia Ruiz.

"I know that for now such an initiative is not law, but I worry about my future and having to leave my child behind if I'm ever deported," says the 30-year- old woman.

Introduced last year by the author of HR 4437, Republican James Sensenbrenner, and endorsed by other Republican elected officials including Tom Tancredo, Nathan Deal, J. D. Hayworth and Jack Kingston, "The Citizenship Reform Act" proposes that only children born to American citizens, naturalized citizens or permanent residents be given U. S. citizenship.

Currently, the U.S. automatically grants citizenship to all those born in the country, except children born to diplomats subject to international treaties.

Alleging that close to 300,000 undocumented woman cross the border every year to give birth to children in the U. S. as a ploy to get US citizenship and that the cost to taxpayers for medical and prenatal care is too high, Republicans endorsing the anti-citizenship measure say they will not rest until they see the legislation become law.

A possible reemergence of the proposition keeps activists pro-immigrant groups worried and alert, with some saying they are prepared for its return due to the recent anti-immigrant wave of "vigilantes," extremists" and "unconstitutional laws" being pushed in the country.

"An initiative that denies citizenship to children of undocumented immigrants goes against the Constitution," says Angela Sambrano, president of the Central America Resource Center.

According to the 14th Amendment, "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States."

"The legislation would change the U. S. Constitution. That's why it hasn't advanced to the Senate. But we know the Republicans in favor of this act will come back to try and take away the rights to citizenship and we will be there to fight them," says Sambrano.

According to the reform's sympathizers, not only prenatal care to undocumented immigrants is expensive, but the automatic citizenship to those children is an invitation for immigrants to cross the border illegally looking for citizenship through their "anchor babies" who, at the age of 21, according to the law, can apply residency status for their parents and siblings not born in the U.S.

To deny a child the right to be a citizen because his mother is undocumented is something we [activists] will not tolerate," says Michelle Waslin of National Council of La Raza.

"Most women don't plan to get pregnant so that in 21 years they can become residents," said Ruiz. "That's crazy... if I wanted it that way, then I would be getting married to a 'gringo,' so I don't have to wait that long for my legal residence..." she says.

Sambrano points out that it is important Senators not let the proposal advance to the Senate's judicial committee, and she urges the immigrant community and supporters of human rights to fight the anti-immigrant wave in the country. Their voices, she says, also need to be heard.

Sympathizers of the measure argue that implementation of the "Citizenship Reform Act" is necessary because undocumented families with citizen children benefit from too many taxpayer supported benefits, such as access to hospitals, medical care, food stamps and other services, without contributing enough to the financial cost.

Pro-immigrant organizations such as the Coalition of Humane Immigrant Rights of Los Angeles, Hermandad Mexicana and Centro Azteca, say they will continue to fight for fair immigration reform.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

To deny a child the right to be a citizen because his mother is undocumented is something we [activists] will not tolerate," says Michelle Waslin of National Council of La Raza.

What wont be tolerated is any more of your freeloading. That's right, we're going to take back our country, and get laws that protects us. This legislation is an idea whose time has come and it will come no matter what you try to do about it.

And when it happens, you can thank yourselves for it. It never would have happened if the present situation had not been abused to support freeloaders who have babies to get freebies and citizenship.

That's crazy... if I wanted it that way, then I would be getting married to a 'gringo,' so I don't have to wait that long for my legal residence..." she says.
    Sure, there are many who will marry to get papers - desecrating the Holy State of Matrimony. I live in the Hispanic community and I see it all the time. Common putas and putos. And if you think back, there was a time when an illegals could marry an American and get a work permit immediately.

But WE GOT A LAW AGAINST THAT, DIDNT WE? Why, because of all the abuses of the situation. Now its alot harder to get an alien spouse papers. Why - because SIN VERGUENZAS ran the situation into the ground, cheapening marriage and cheapening themselves.

You are morally bankrupt and we do not want you here!! We are tired of paying for your babies and were NOT gonna tolerate it anymore!! FREELOADERS - SIN VERGUENZAS - leave while you still can still retain the right to come back in when we get a guestworker program (AFTER WE SECURE OUR BORDERS AND FULLY EMPLOY AMERICANS).

If you are here after the law goes through, you will be deported and lose all rights to come back in here.

La Raza, we have every one of your funders in our targets. They will feel the wrath of our boycott. Your traitorous and racist lobbying will not be forgotten. Now we know what you are, we will work against you. Every day, and every way we know.

This "anti-immigration wave" is PERMANENT. Its not going away any time soon, so get used to it.
    http://www.soldiersangels.com Adopt a Soldier

"This is our culture - fight for it. This is our flag - pick it up. This is our country - take it back." - Congressman Tom Tancredo

"At my age, my biggest dream is to have a child, but I don't want him to suffer what I've suffered as an illegal," says Los Angeles resident, Cecilia Ruiz.
    You need to be deported. Is it also "your biggest dream" to have a baby that will cost taxpayers hosptals, doctors care, food, and education for the rest of its illegal life?
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn