Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Feds check 100 at D.M. workplace

http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs. ... 40388/1033

The temporary EDS Corp. employees skip work after their Social Security numbers' authenticity is challenged.

By PATT JOHNSON
    REGISTER BUSINESS WRITER

August 24, 2006

About 100 temporary workers at an EDS product fulfillment center in Des Moines failed to show up for work Wednesday after federal officials questioned the validity of their Social Security numbers.

The officials' challenge brings into question whether the workers at Electronic Data Systems Corp. had proper documentation allowing them to work in the United States.

EDS, which employs about 900 people at its fulfillment center on Army Post Road, said workers involved are employees of Kelly Services, a temporary employment services company.

U.S. immigration officials would not comment on whether they would take action.

"We don't talk about our activities unless there are charges filed," said Tim Counts, a spokesman for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

The investigation into improper Social Security numbers comes at a time when a growing number of employers are checking the status of their workers because of the national debate over immigration.

That debate centers on what to do about 12 million people who are in the United States illegally - and comes at a time when some Iowa business leaders say the state needs an influx of workers to compete in a global economy.

Kelly spokesman Jim McIntire, who is based in Detroit, confirmed that about 100 workers assigned to EDS in Des Moines were identified as having a discrepancy in the Social Security numbers supplied on their employment forms.

Government officials provided Kelly with a list of workers whose names had not matched up with Social Security numbers.

"We don't know how or why they are on that list," McIntire said.

On Tuesday, Kelly gave the workers until Friday to resolve the discrepancies or provide proof they were working to fix the mismatch. If they didn't, they would be terminated, McIntire said.

Most of those workers did not show up for work Wednesday, McIntire said.

The Kelly employees whose Social Security numbers were challenged all worked in the Des Moines facility's distribution center, where products for a variety of national clients are prepared and shipped to customers.

About 400 people work in the distribution center, EDS spokeswoman Liz Bonet said, but she declined to say how many of those are Kelly employees.

The EDS Des Moines center fulfills orders for products sold by TV infomercials, telemarketers and other direct-mail sources.

The number of workplace investigations and arrests being conducted by immigration officials is rising, according to Counts.

In Iowa, the agency's efforts in June resulted in the owners of two Chinese restaurants in Atlantic and Harlan being charged with hiring undocumented immigrants.

Also in June, immigration agents detained at least 36 undocumented immigrants during a raid on DeCoster egg farms in Wright County. The workers were hired by an outside firm to work at DeCoster.

McIntire, of Kelly Services, said some workers may be able to resolve their discrepancies. Some problems could involve transposed numbers or incorrect spelling of names, as well as fraud.

"We are working to maintain production" at the EDS center in Des Moines, he said.

The Des Moines EDS center, which handles customer service calls as well as filling product orders, said in June that it plans to add 350 workers.

The company said it would be a challenge to find new hires because of the metro area's low unemployment rate, which in May was 2.8 percent.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

We already found out this EDS outfit was corrupt at the top. Not surprised to see it filter all the way down.
    Unemployment is not working. Deport illegal alien workers now! Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"......we need these workers to compete in the global community." These business owners no longer have a patriotic bone in their body, they no longer have loyalty to their American employees......

Have any of them actually thought, that if they keep hiring cheap labor, American's go without work and pay, therefore no one will purchase their cheaply made products!

It's all about them, and I'm so fed up with it.

We need to start putting business owners like these, to shame! Actually shaming them with signs in front of their businesses. Something like, This business hates American workers.
    Do not vote for Party this year, vote for America and American workers!

Re:
    The temporary EDS Corp. employees skip work after their Social Security numbers' authenticity is challenged.

By PATT JOHNSON
    REGISTER BUSINESS WRITER

In this news item, it states that, "business leaders say they needs these workers to compete in the global world."

We now have business owners that are no longer patriotic or loyal to the American worker. Who do they think will purchase their Chinese made products, handled by illegal aliens, if many American's are out of work?

It's time all Americans write their Representatives, demand a change for our business to be able to profit, keep Americans on the payroll and pay a decent living wage!

This cannot and should not continue! We have lost too many good paying jobs already.

===============================================
    I emailed them the above....
    Send them a letter here:

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/p ... P/40507010
    Do not vote for Party this year, vote for America and American workers!

Maybe we could just not buy the products of these illegal employers.

Once when we were travelling for my husband's work, I decided I would try working for one of the temp agencies. They needed people to work at the college bookstore during a 3 week registration period.

When I received my check from them, they had my SS# wrong. I dropped by to make sure they corrected it and they were very rude about it. I haven't a clue why they were nasty.

Now when they got my SS# wrong, I made them fix it - why would an employee just not show up rather than clear up the situation??? Well, we know but.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)