Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Feds raid may boost turnout

Feds' raid may boost turnout
    (http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/3650 ... 01.article)

May 1, 2007

BY ESTHER J. CEPEDA Staff Reporter/ecepeda@suntimes.com
    Immigrant rights activists will lead a march to Grant Park today to demand a stop to deportations and raids, legalization for the estimated 12 million illegals in the United States and comprehensive immigration reforms designed to keep families together and offer an affordable path to citizenship.

Activists say turnout will be more than the original estimate of 5,000 because of community outrage after last Tuesday's raid on a Little Village shopping center where federal agents seized alleged leaders of a fake document ring.

"We really don't know how many people will go," said Jorge Mujica, a lead organizer. Several Chicago Public Schools will have feeder marches proceeding to the step-off point at Union Park, 1501 W. Randolph. Though CPS had a previously scheduled half day, local immigrant rights groups were calling on students whose classes were in session -- mostly in suburban districts -- to walk out of school to march.

Other community organizations and businesses from largely Hispanic city neighborhoods and suburbs scheduled free bus service to Union Park.

Last year 400,000 to 500,000 people took to Chicago's streets in response to the Sensenbrenner bill -- federal legislation that would have criminalized anyone "assisting" illegal immigrants and which called for a 700-mile fence on the Mexican border.

This year -- after the Democratic takeover of Congress -- most immigrant rights groups turned their attention from marches and rallies to pushing for legislative change.

One woman who wasn't sure whether she'd be out today echoed the sentiments of many in the Hispanic community. "I don't think the marches are doing any good anymore, but I don't know what else we can do to help the immigrant cause, our cause."

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"I don't think the marches are doing any good anymore, but I don't know what else we can do to help the immigrant cause, our cause
    The marches may not be doing your cause any good, but they certainly are boosting ours, so please, keep marching!
    And this is strictly my opinion, but if you were to do anything to "help" your cause, upsetting Americans isn't really a good way to gain support. But that's just me!
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.