Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

With fewer jobs, fewer illegal aliens

With fewer jobs, fewer illegal aliens

The US recession and stricter law enforcement are keeping many Hispanics from coming.

By Brian Whitley | Contributor to The Christian Science Monitor
    from the December 30, 2008 edition

The economic downturn – along with more aggressive enforcement – is reducing the flow of illegal immigrants to the United States.

Not only are fewer people – mostly Hispanics – slipping into the United States, they're getting fewer jobs. New data shows that Latino participation in the labor force – normally among the highest – has dropped along with a decline in new arrivals.

"The picture has definitely changed," says Randy Katz, a demographer at the Migration Policy Institute in Washington, though he cautions that it's too early to say whether the changes are permanent. "Unauthorized Hispanic immigrants are fairly responsive to job markets."

Tougher enforcement and the construction of a new border fence may also be playing a role. The number of illegal aliens removed or returned home this year rose 20 percent compared with a year ago, according to a Department of Homeland Security statement. There was also a 27 percent increase in arrests made while raiding workplaces by the US Immigration and Customs.

The Border Patrol, which added 6,000 agents since 2006, has seen a steady decline in the number of people it has caught trying to cross the border.

Exactly how far-reaching the current shifts in the Latino immigrant population are is unclear, and may turn on the extent of the recession and the immigration policies of the new administration.

Downturn hits Latinos hard

A recent report by the Pew Hispanic Center, a nonpartisan research group in Washington, found that the proportion of Latino immigrants employed or seeking work in the US fell for the first time since 2003. It declined from 72.4 percent in the last quarter of 2007 to 71.3 percent in the last quarter of 2008.

The drop is "small but significant," says the report's author, Rakesh Kochhar. As a percentage, more Hispanic immigrants are active in the labor force than other Americans.

The report also found that the unemployment rate for all Latinos was 7.9 percent in the third quarter of 2008, compared with 5.7 percent during last year's third quarter. The unemployment rate for the total US workforce is 6.1 percent.

It's not clear whether immigrant workers who have dropped out of the labor force are returning home or have just temporarily given up looking for jobs.

The decline in labor force participation is strongest among Latinos who arrived since 2000, according to Pew. Mexico's central bank reported in early 2008 that remittances had flatlined at about $24 billion after several years of large increases.

On the other hand, the number of passengers flying from the US to Mexico fell 4 percent in the past few years, according to the International Air Transport Association. Carlos Rico, Mexico's undersecretary for North American affairs, told the Associated Press last month that applications by emigrants to move their possessions back across the border haven't notably increased.

A long-term shift?

For many years now, the number of Hispanic workers entering the US has been growing at a remarkable pace, dramatically shifting the country's cultural makeup. In the past two years, that pace has slowed.

It's the inflow of undocumented workers that is falling, as legal immigration remains steady, says Mr. Katz, the Washington demographer. A Pew report released earlier this year found that the number of illegal immigrants arriving in the US had dropped to below that of legal arrivals, reversing a decade-long trend.

The report also found that illegal immigration from Mexico has leveled off since last year.

Latinos are increasingly exploring destinations that don't require treacherous desert journeys, says Patricia Mendez, a Honduran immigrant who came to the US five years ago and who heads Centro Presente, a Latino immigrant advocacy group outside Boston. Her brother, she says, recently emigrated to Spain, one of the most popular recent choices.

"Foreign born Hispanic workers are in a state of transition," Mr. Kochhar says. "Are we now going to see a drop in the population itself?"

At the very least, a long downturn could mean that the shift away from illegal immigration toward visa holders gains momentum.

If the trends continue, they could even alter the distribution of Latino immigrant communities in the US. A slowdown in arrivals could erode communities with more fragile, less-developed networks, says Irene Bloemraad, a sociologist at the University of California in Berkeley.

And those who do come may increasingly follow jobs to far-flung, recession-resistant agricultural areas like the upper Midwest, Katz says.

For now, those possibilities remain speculation – immigration policy reform led by the Obama administration, for instance, could change trends.

But the longer the downturn lasts and the more severe it is, the more uncertainty colors the future of Latino immigrants. "As far as I know, nobody knows where the light is at the end of this tunnel," says Kochhar.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2008/1230/p03s07-usgn.html
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

April
    But the longer the downturn lasts and the more severe it is, the more uncertainty colors the future of Latino immigrants. "As far as I know, nobody knows where the light is at the end of this tunnel," says Kochhar

The lights are out!

The problem is that their numbers keep increasing through the never ending bankrupting birth of anchor babies. These people are not leaving the US because the free benefits they get with each birth are an incentive to never leave.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"Fewer ILLEGALS" isn't good enough. "NONE" would be a whole lot better.

In this CONFUSING article, notice how they intertwined the words, "illegal immigrants, Latino immigrant population, and this doozy...UNAUTHORIZED HISPANIC IMMIGRANTS and this confusing phrase.... "As a percentage, more Hispanic immigrants are active in the labor force than other Americans."

Other Americans?? Which are they? Hispanic immigrants? Illegal immigrants? Unauthorized hispanic immigrants, then they throw them into the same bag as AMERICANS??? They ARE NOT Americans!

This articles does a Mexican hat dance all the way around the issue here! THEY are supposedly talking about illegal aliens, but they call them everything else, but that!!! Even going so far as to call them Americans! These Berserkly-ites are STOOPID!
    I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies.
    ~Thomas Jefferson (1743 - 1826)

I am getting tired of these stories. Can any person here legitimately tell me that illegal immigrants are leaving your town in noticeable numbers? I would like to know where this is occuring so I can move there. It's just getting worse here in Texas!
    We see so many tribes overrun and undermined

While their invaders dream of lands they've left behind

Better people...better food...and better beer...

Why move around the world when Eden was so near?
    -Neil Peart from the song Territories&

Quote Originally Posted by jshhmr
    I am getting tired of these stories. Can any person here legitimately tell me that illegal immigrants are leaving your town in noticeable numbers? I would like to know where this is occuring so I can move there. It's just getting worse here in Texas!
    I haven't noticed "fewer" illegal aliens in California. As a matter of fact, in the area where I live there was a rise in their population here immediately after Oklahoma took away their freebies and Oregon decided not to issue them drivers licenses.

It seems like new ones come in about every week. I think they're just hunkered down waiting for Lord Obama to wave his magic wand and grant them amnesty right after his inauguration.
    I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies.
    ~Thomas Jefferson (1743 - 1826)

A recent report by the Pew Hispanic Center

Pew...says it all, doesn't it?