Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: First of 8,000 stranded Cuban migrants cross into US

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

First of 8,000 stranded Cuban migrants cross into US

First of 8,000 stranded Cuban migrants cross into US

By Maria Verza | AP January 15 at 7:22 PM

MEXICO CITY — The first of 8,000 Cuban migrants recently stranded in Central America have crossed the Mexican border into the United States.

Some 180 migrants flew from Costa Rica to El Salvador, and have been making their way to the U.S., with the first reaching Laredo, Texas, on Thursday night.

“I’m a Cuban who has just acquired the American Dream,” said Daniel Caballero, one of the first to cross into Laredo, according to a Facebook posting of the sponsoring non-profit group, Cubans in Liberty.

“It is the greatest happiness,” said Liliande Gonzalez, 20, according to the same video.

The migrants spent several months in Costa Rica after Nicaraguan authorities closed the border on Nov. 13.

With the bottleneck, both Ecuador and Costa Rica stopped issuing visas to Cubans, who want to reach the U.S. before it changes its migration policy with the thawing of relations with Cuba.

Cubans currently only need to set foot on U.S. soil to gain entry. The Nicaraguan government criticized the U.S. policy for causing a big wave of migration.

After several tries, Central American leaders finally agreed to deal with thousands of Cubans in makeshift camps and shelters by agreeing to fly them to El Salvador on Tuesday, where they went overland to Mexico. They were given permission to cross Mexico for humanitarian reasons.

The initial 180 traveled together to Mexico as part of a pilot program, then went in smaller groups to the U.S. border.

“I’m anxious to get there,” Alexei Oliva told The Associated Press at the airport in Mexico City as he was about to fly to the border city of Matamoros before crossing into Texas.

He left Cuba Oct. 27 for Ecuador, where he did computer work to earn money for the trip.

“Imagine, three months to achieve what’s about to happen. It’s exciting,” Oliva said.

The Cubans said they were treated well in Mexico, a contrast to the stream of Central American migrants fleeing poverty and violence in their home countries who are hit by extortion, robbery and kidnapping by organized crime groups and immigration agents. Some die or disappear along the route.

Cubans paid for their own trips, including the flights from Costa Rica to El Salvador. Many of them cashed in all their belongings and traveled with their life savings to reach the U.S.

Central American governments will evaluate the pilot program in the next few days for the rest of the migrants, said Kathya Rodriguez, Costa Rica’s migration director.

She estimates they will need 28 more flights to move all the stranded Cubans out of shelters.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...432_story.html

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    This is just madness! The U.S. Coast Guard has the authority to catch and return Cuban's back to Cuba. Actually that is exactly what they do. So, why can't our border patrol visually observing their entrance catch them for immediate return to Cuba? The wet foot, dry foot, policy just doesn't make logical sense. We know they're coming and we can't do anything to stop it?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

So thoughtful of Ecuador, El Salvador and Costa Rica to be so accommodating to the migrants and offering them
    air travel to the U.S. Border.

I want to know why these Cubans are supposedly stranded????

The Cuban migrants obviously have plenty of travel money on them, suitcases, cell phones etc - so why the hell don't you
    just send them back to Cuba?

At this point, I have no doubt the Obama Administration is behind this and secretly collaborated the entire plan with Ecuador, El Salvador and Costa Rica.

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me 6 month's down the road we find out U.S. Taxpayers paid for the Cuban migrants air flights.

Obama is purposely trying to destroy America by importing millions of unskilled, uneducated migrants from third world countries.

Taxpayers cannot afford to take care of these people. Social Security is already insolvent and Obama just
    wants to add hundreds of thousands of people to it who have never paid into it.

Healthcare cost have skyrocketed, hospital closings, depressed wages, millions unemployed, endless traffic all day long, crime exploding and our schools are
    atrocious... our children are being cheated and held back from a good education because they are forced to
    sit in over crowded classrooms with non-English speaking migrants who have no education.

I can rant for hours but I don't want to give myself a headache....

The Wet Foot, Dry Foot Policy goes back to 1995, the Clinton era.

Wet feet, dry feet policy

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cuba is 90 miles (145 kilometers) south ofFlorida

The wet foot, dry foot policy is the name given to a consequence of the 1995 revision of the Cuban Adjustment Act of 1966 that essentially says that anyone who fled Cuba and entered the United States would be allowed to pursue residency a year later.

After talks with the Cuban government, the Clinton administration came to an agreement with Cuba that it would stop admitting people intercepted in U.S. waters.

Since then, in what has become known as the "Wet foot, Dry foot" policy, a Cuban caught on the waters between the two nations (with "wet feet") would summarily be sent home or to a third country.

One who makes it to shore ("dry feet") gets a chance to remain in the United States, and later would qualify for expedited "legal permanent resident" status and eventually U.S. citizenship.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet_feet,_dry_feet_policy

Last edited by JohnDoe2; 01-20-2016 at 02:19 PM.
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

NO AMNESTY

MW
    lorrie wrote:

I can rant for hours but I don't want to give myself a headache....
    Yep, I get a headache just thinking about it!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Last edited by JohnDoe2; 01-19-2016 at 01:36 PM.
    NO AMNESTY

Cuban migrants arrive in U.S. after months in limbo

"This trip has been really tough, but, thank God, we are here," says one Cuban migrant, who after months of being stranded in Central America, arrives with a small group of Cuban migrants to the United States. Gavino Garay reports.

Cuban migrants arrive in U.S. after months in limbo | World | Thanh Nien Daily

Quote Originally Posted by lorrie View Post
    . . . I want to know why these Cubans are supposedly stranded???? . . .
    "The migrants spent several months in Costa Rica after Nicaraguan authorities closed the border on Nov. 13."
    (From the first article.)
    NO AMNESTY

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoe2 View Post
    "The migrants spent several months in Costa Rica after Nicaraguan authorities closed the border on Nov. 13."
    (From the first article.)
    The video i posted just this morning on Cubans arriving in US is showing nice people and smiling walking out their boat but as far i know a majority of Cubans are rough illegal migrants most of time they have criminal past some kind of people to avoid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast