Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: First protected DREAMer is deported under Trump

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

First protected DREAMer is deported under Trump

First protected DREAMer is deported under Trump

Alan Gomez and David Agren
    Published 4:45 p.m. ET April 18, 2017

Federal agents ignored President Trump's pledge to protect from deportation undocumented immigrants brought to the United States as children by sending a young man back to his native Mexico, the first such documented case, a USA TODAY examination of the new administration's immigration policies shows.

After spending an evening with his girlfriend in Calexico, Calif., on Feb. 17, Juan Manuel Montes, 23, who has lived in the U.S. since age 9, grabbed a bite and was waiting for a ride when a U.S. Customs and Border Protection officer approached and started asking questions.

Montes was twice granted deportation protections under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program created by President Barack Obama and left intact by President Trump.

Montes had left his wallet in a friend's car, so he couldn't produce his ID or proof of his DACA status and was told by agents he couldn't retrieve them. Within three hours, he was back in Mexico, becoming the first undocumented immigrant with active DACA status deported by the Trump administration's stepped-up deportation policy.

"Some people told me that they were going to deport me; others said nothing would happen," Montes told USA TODAY in his aunt and uncle's home in western Mexico where he's been staying. "I thought that if I kept my nose clean nothing would happen." He asked that the exact location of their home be withheld.

Since taking office, Trump has followed through on his campaign pledge to crack down on illegal immigration by signing executive orders to step up enforcement against the estimated 11 million undocumented immigrants living in the U.S. The new policy calls for expanding the criteria for detaining and deporting undocumented immigrants and hiring thousands of new agents.

Yet Trump declined to revoke the DACA protections Obama had granted to more than 750,000 undocumented immigrants, repeatedly saying he had a soft spot for these young people who are leading productive lives and have few, if any, ties to the countries of their birth.

"They shouldn't be very worried," he told ABC News in January. "I do have a big heart."

Even so, DACA enrollees are being targeted by immigration authorities.At least 10 are in federal custody, according to United We Dream, an advocacy organization made up of DACA enrollees and other young immigrants.

The group's advocacy director, Greisa Martinez, who has DACA protection, said Montes' case is proof that people like herself are at risk despite what Trump said.

"We've seen Trump and (Department of Homeland Security Secretary) John Kelly say, 'The DACA program is alive and well.' We've seen (House Speaker) Paul Ryan look straight into the eyes of one of our members and say, 'You have nothing to worry about,'" she said. "And then this happens."

Customs and Border Protection said Tuesday it could not discuss Montes' case because of the department's privacy policy.

A group of attorneys filed a lawsuit in federal court in California on Tuesday requesting that a judge force Customs and Border Protection to release details of the agent's encounter with Montes.

Marielena Hincapié, executive director of the National Immigration Law Center, part of Montes' legal team, said it has requested information for months but has gotten no response.

"Even in this administration, because of Trump's comments about loving these people, the integrity of the government's promises are at stake," Hincapié said. "How does an immigrant family today know that this is not going to happen to them?"

The shy Montes was never a poster child for the DACA program. He wasn't his high school's valedictorian or a prominent advocate for fellow DREAMers.

He suffered a traumatic brain injury as a child that left him with learning disabilities that meant a constant struggle to keep up in school and everyday conversations, according to Hincapié. Despite those challenges, he made it through special education courses and graduated high school in 2013. He started taking welding classes at a Southern California community college and paid for it by picking crops in California and Arizona.

He lived with his mother, who remains an undocumented immigrant and did not want to be identified, and a younger brother, who was born in the U.S. and, thus, is a citizen.

Court records show he has four convictions: one for shoplifting in January 2016, and three for driving without a license, most recently three months ago.

Those convictions are not serious enough to disqualify him from DACA protections, according to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, the federal agency that approves DACA applications.

Montes received renewed DACA protections in January 2016, which keeps him enrolled through 2018. That is why Montes was confused when he was approached by the federal officer in February.

"They detained me, they took me to a center, they asked me a lot of questions, and I signed a lot of papers," he said.

Montes said he couldn't understand anything he was signing and was not given any copies. Officers walked him to the U.S.-Mexico border and released him into Mexicali.

There, he found a friend who put him up for the night. He called another friend, who drove across the border to return his wallet and bring fresh clothes. Then things got worse.

Montes said he was jumped from behind, mugged and beaten. At that point, he decided he needed to get back home. He saw some people using a rope to climb over a section of the border wall and joined them. He was quickly captured by federal agents, questioned again and deported again.

Today, Montes has reconnected with his estranged father and works in a gas station and a tortilla mill. But he's counting the days until he can return to the U.S. and continue building his life.

"There I worked and studied at the same time. I only had six more months to finish (my studies)," he said. "I liked it there more than here."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ump/100583274/
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Keeping your nose clean is not driving w/o a license nor shoplifting. Home is where you are now, your native country that you are a citizen of and your mother should be following you home soon.

Court records show he has four convictions: one for shoplifting in January 2016, and three for driving without a license, most recently three months ago.

Those convictions are not serious enough to disqualify him from DACA protections, according to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, the federal agency that approves DACA applications.
    And they still gave him DACA status and showed him and every other current illegal alien in the US, and potential illegal alien around the world, that you can break into America... commit other crimes... and still be given protection and job access by our own government in direct violation of numerous US laws!

DACA NEEDS TO END IMMEDIATELY!

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Apparently they were serious enough to get him deported, and rightly so.

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"Within three hours, he was back in Mexico, becoming the first undocumented immigrant with active DACA status deported by the Trump administration's stepped-up deportation policy."

--------------------------------

BING, BING, BING

GET THEM ALL OUT...LOAD UP THE BUSES FULL AND DROP THEM AT THE BORDER!!!
    ILLEGAL ALIENS HAVE "BROKEN" OUR IMMIGRATION SYSTEM

DO NOT REWARD THEM - DEPORT THEM ALL

Yep.

Bing! Bing! Bing!

Rapid Deport every single one you can find as quickly and quietly as possible.

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I do think the President needs to talk truth to the illegals and tell them if they are here illegally, they are subject to deportation. This country doesn't need a reason, other than their illegal status, to deport them. He needs to tell them that is sufficient.

Well, this is refreshing, he wasn't just this wonderful young man, etc., etc. But of course, he is brain damaged, and he didn't really do anything wrong, and he had no idea what was going on -

Those stories are getting old.

When they say they have no ties to any other country, that is most often a total lie. Most of them still have families where they came from - hence all the millions going out of the country each year.

Could it be traumatic - of course. The answer is to send Momma with him and the anchor baby as well.

Another question I always want to ask - Where's Daddy?

USA Today Gets It Wrong, DHS Did Not Deport DREAMer

ALEX PFEIFFER

Reporter
    6:46 PM 04/18/2017

USA Today reported Tuesday that an illegal immigrant protected by Barack Obama’s amnesty was deported in February after spending an evening with his girlfriend.

However, a Department of Homeland Security spokesman told The Daily Caller that this story is false because Juan Manuel Montes Bojorquez did not receive amnesty and was caught climbing over a border fence when he was detained.

The USA Today story said that Bojorquez, 23, was apprehended by Customs and Border Protection (CBP) agents while he was waiting for a car ride to pick him up.

According to the article, he told the officers he left his wallet in his friend’s car and, because he didn’t have his ID or proof of his Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status, he was deported.

“Within three hours, he was back in Mexico, becoming the first undocumented immigrant with active DACA status deported by the Trump administration’s stepped-up deportation policy,” the USA Today reporters wrote.

The Trump administration has said it will continue honoring the over 750,000 illegal immigrants who receive DACA, but this incident, if accurate, would have been a departure of that policy. David Lapan, a DHS spokesman, told TheDC, “Juan Manuel Montes Bojorquez was apprehended by the Calexico Station Border Patrol after illegally entering the U.S. by climbing over the fence in downtown Calexico. He was arrested by BP just minutes after he made his illegal entry and admitted under oath during the arrest interview that he had entered illegally.”

The spokesman added, “His DACA status expired in Aug. 2015 and he was notified at that time. In addition, he has a conviction for theft for which he received probation.”

This incorrect story from USA Today received a swift reaction on Twitter. Sean McElwee, a policy analyst at Demos Action, said it was “absolutely horrifying.” MSNBC host Christopher Hayes said, “This is profoundly messed up.” Gizmodo staff writer Libby Watson tweeted, “the lack of due process and basic decency for immigrants is really astounding. can’t be covered enough.”

Earlier Tuesday morning, DHS Secretary John Kelly condemned false news stories in a speech at George Washington University. “So I make my way up the Beltway every day, and I use that hour or so to read the news clips about DHS. It’s one of the first two things I do every day—the other is the daily intelligence briefing,” Kelly said. “In one, I read what other people are saying about me—and more important, what they’re saying about my people. In the other, I learn about what’s really going on.”

http://dailycaller.com/2017/04/18/us...#ixzz4eeG3P1ve
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

So is PolitiFact going to give them the Truth-o-Meter?

Our media is totally 100% corrupt. They had to fabricate that story. Same fake news as the story about the Vinson "steaming" to North Korea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast