Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

FL: Slew of anti-illegal immigration bills introduced today!

Good news....especially since this is one of the biggest sanctuary states in our nation and home of McCain's amnesty amigo, Senator Mel MArtinez!

See, http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/flor ... 26&ref=rss

State Reps Offer a Slew of Bills To Combat Illegal Immigration

By LAURA WIDES-MUNOZ
    AP Hispanic Affairs Writer

TALLAHASSEE, FL (AP) -- State lawmakers on Tuesday unveiled a series of immigration-related bills aimed at making it tougher to hire illegal immigrants, limiting public services they can receive and penalizing anyone who brings them into Florida.

The last proposal comes in response to a unique problem facing Florida: the growing number of Cubans and others smuggled across the Florida Straits each month. But the majority of the half-dozen bills reflect similar measures proposed in states across the country, all backed by the national nonprofit Federation for Immigration Reform, which supports a freeze on nearly all immigration.

Rep. Gayle Harrell, R-Stuart, led the call for tighter immigration laws during a press conference at the state Capitol.

"We want to make sure the state of Florida can do everything in its power to deal with illegals," she said. "It's a federal issue, but there are things states can do."

Harrell has proposed a law that would make it illegal for any state funds to go to day labor centers where illegal immigrants are among those seeking work, usually in construction and gardening.

Those supporting the proposals, including Rep. Don Brown, R-DeFuniak Springs, represent the Republican Party's most ardent hard-liners when it comes to immigration, and it's unclear how much support they will generate from the rest of the Legislature.

Brown sponsored the most comprehensive bill (HB 73), much of which simply codifies existing practices or parallels federal law.

The bill would prohibit cities from restricting any efforts to enforce immigration laws, pre-empting municipalities from creating so-called "sanctuary cities" for illegal immigrants. The bill also requires drivers licenses to be issued only to U.S. citizens or those with legal status in Florida. Brown also wants verification of immigration status for those seeking certain public benefits but said he wasn't yet sure which benefits.

"I don't know that there will be anything," he said. "I've got some research to do myself on what services they are getting."

Brown argued the state doesn't know how much of its resources go to illegal immigrants because nobody ever asks. The law would provide this crucial information, he said.

The aspect of the bill that could have the greatest effect on Florida business is a requirement that anyone contracting with the state participate in the federal government's volunteer worker verification program. Under the program, employers run the names of prospective employees through Social Security and Department of Homeland Security databases.

The program has been criticized by Congress's investigative arm for its high rate of error. Immigrant advocates argue the state lacks the authority to require such participation.

Florida's largest construction association has already come out against that proposal.

"As Americans, and as Floridians, we all support the goals of these bills," said the group's chairman Mike Bruner in a statement, "but the bills create a tough choice for contractors: will they be willing to risk their businesses on the basis of a flawed federal program?"

The bills are being reviewed by committee and require approval before they can be considered by the full chambers.
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Another state, Florida is a good one on our side but we need some more in Middle and Northern U.S, as it shows the problem is moving across the United States.
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Another state, Florida is a good one on our side but we need some more in Middle and Northern U.S, as it shows the problem is moving across the United States.
    You left out the West Coast, Oh ya I forgot I am doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldogger
    You left out the West Coast, Oh ya I forgot I am doomed.
    Sorry "Bulldogger" please forgive me, I run amuk, I would never leave Cali out of the fight, your not doomed yet!!

It sure would be nice if North Carolina would finally wake up and start doing the same as other states have done and are doing. Will it ever happen?

Pennsylvania has had bills introduced twice over the last two years...Rep. Daryl Metcalfe's National Security Begins at Home package...but they've been stalled in "Committee" (SIC) by a bunch of cowardly Democrats who don't want to make this an issue in PA and dash any hopes of Gov. Rendell (Spendell) and his dreams of a cabinet position either with OBAMA or HIllary.