Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

FL:Who's Driving Without a License

LEE COUNTY: Unlicensed drivers are a problem that costs you money and puts your safety at risk. The NBC2 Investigators found out why so many people just ignore the law.

We went through law enforcement booking sheets for the month of January in Southwest Florida. We discovered 20-percent of the arrests were for driving without a license or on a suspended license.

Bob Marois was one unlicensed driver's victim.

"I stopped and I was trying to get out of the way when he backed out and hit me," said Bob Marois.

Marois did what any driver would do.

"I asked him for a license and at first he said no, and then he pulled out a Mexican driver's license," said Marois.

The driver was arrested.

We spent a day on the street with Collier County deputies as they arrested people like Emmanuel Reyes Hernandez - who was driving without a license.

Hernandez admitted to being in the U.S. illegally and driving to support his children.

"They have two choices: Not drive and go to work and lose their home, or support their children or simply drive. A lot of them drive," said defense attorney Donald Day.

Many violate the law time and time again.

Cornelio Garciasrosas, also an admitted illegal immigrant, has been arrested three times for driving without a license.

"Basically it's the same crime over and over and over," said Lieutenant Harold Minch of the Lee County Sheriff’s Office.

So who are these drivers?

NBC2 analyzed one day’s arrests for Lee, Collier and Charlotte counties.

In Charlotte County, everyone arrested for driving without a license or on a suspended license was an American citizen.

In Lee County, neither the sheriff's office nor Immigrations and Customs Enforcement could identify who was legal and who wasn't.

In Collier County, 59-percent of those arrested for driving without a license or on a suspended license were illegal immigrants.

Judge Mike Carr says illegal immigration is the root of the problem in Collier County.

"I think it's huge, it takes a huge amount of money and resources," said Carr.

Carr says until ICE deports the illegal immigrants driving without a license, the problem will only get worse.

"You almost have to commit a violent felony to have immigration do anything," said Carr.

While ICE wouldn't comment on camera, a representative says there's little proof this is an illegal immigration issue.

No matter what you believe, everyone agrees unlicensed drivers are a safety hazard.

"People that are not properly licensed are normally not properly trained. That's the big problem," said Minch.

Insurance companies and legal drivers are footing the bill.

"Sooner or later it affects you," said Jose Soto with State Farm Insurance.

Soto says if you get hit by someone without a license, they most likely won't have insurance either. That means your rates may go up.

"You're going to have to pay for your damages or your insurance company is going to have to pay for your damages," said Soto.

About the only way to protect yourself is to pay upfront by adding uninsured motorist coverage to your policy.

Either way, you will end up paying for someone else's negligence.

In the State of Florida, you can get insurance without a driver's license, but many companies still require one before they'll issue a policy. Therefore, many unlicensed drivers are also uninsured.

Story and video
    http://www.nbc2investigators.com/articl ... =17701&z=5

I would appear that all the counties ask could answer the question of how many illegal immigrants are busted for driving without a D/L except Lee County. Seems someone needs to be a little more diligent in their record keeping. How do you fix a problem if you can’t tell you have one?
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    You have to see it to believe it... Collier County and Naples Florida has gone to SH_T and this is the response we get from ICE...

If that ICE representative is that lost; it's time for him / her to be fired for gross incompetence
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

FL: Who's Driving

Many people WITH driver's license drive without insurance. I would like to see insurance dept. stats, in the states that still give illegal's a drivers license. How many are at fault in an accident, but have no insurance?

We have the same problem in Texas. There is also a loophole in the insurance law allowing "named excluded drivers" on the policy. The policy buyer promises not to let the excluded driver drive the car, and pays lower premiums. The named excluded drivers are not listed on proof of insurance cards, so if pulled over they have proof the car is insured. The BAD part is that the insurance company WILL NOT PAY any claim if the excluded driver causes an accident. So even if the policy holder breaks his promise to the insurance company, it is always the victim who pays.

up here in Ocala it's the Emg rooms . Hospitals have asked people to go else where . They're maxed out ! Wonder why ? Could it be the "Hard" working Illegal ? FWIW : I've never seen a Mexican legal or illegal out work an American . Americans know their jobs and get it done , they just don't care for slave wages while CEO'S balloon out with all the money . BS
    Sorry bout the rant . i just had to
    Nam vet 1967/1970 Skull & Bones can KMA .Bless our Brothers that gave their all ..It also gives me the right to Vote for Chuck Baldwin 2008 POTUS . NOW or never*

Many people WITH driver's license drive without insurance. I would like to see insurance dept. stats, in the states that still give illegal's a drivers license. How many are at fault in an accident, but have no insurance?
    That happens alot. A drivers license doesn't equal having insurance. In Florida they had alot of these dingy cheap auto insurance places like a half a block from where you got your tags and such. You could go down...sign up for 35 bucks, have your "proof" of insurance....get your tags, walk back down and cancell your insurance and you're good to go another 6 mos. That was before the ease of computers. All they did was look to see you had a card. I don't think they want to fix it because there's too much revenue to be gained.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)