Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Flake acknowledges erroneous web video attack on Cardon

I wonder if this retraction was printed on the very last page of the Arizona Republic, or just buried in the on line blogs.

Flake acknowledges erroneous web video attack on Cardon

Rep. Jeff Flake, the front-running Republican in Arizona's Senate race, is acknowledging that a claim made against GOP Wil Cardon in a web video released Friday was wrong.

The web video has been re-edited to remove the attack, which erroneously accused Cardon of failing to file "his insurance company's income taxes" and causing the IRS to revoke the company's tax status.

Cardon's campaign pushed back hard on Friday that Cardon, a Mesa investor, has never held an ownership interest in the company called Eagle Gate Insurance Ltd., which according to documents on the Arizona Corporation Commission's website at one time shared the same Mesa address with Cardon's business The Cardon Group. (Other websites list a different address for the company.)

"Cardon has never invested a dollar in Eagle Gate," the Cardon campaign said. "Nor has Cardon ever had anything to do with paying the Company's income taxes or its IRS filings."

A 2001 special warranty deed found on the Pinal County Recorder's website identifes Elijah A. Cardon as Eagle Gate Insurance's director.

Here is Flake's statement to The Arizona Republic on the embarrassing development:

“I want to be sure that each communication from my campaign is accurate. When it was brought to my attention that Wil wasn’t responsible for filing the 990 for Eagle Gate Insurance, as my web video claimed, I had it corrected immediately. Because Eagle Gate operates out of the Cardon Group’s headquarters along with other British Virgin Island Insurance Companies the Cardons are involved in, we believed he was responsible for that company as well.”

Alyssa Pivirotto, Cardon's campaign spokeswoman, demanded that the Flake campaign apologize for accusing Cardon of violating the law.

"Since Day One, the Flake campaign has lied about Wil, his business and his conservative credentials, but this is a new low," Pivirotto said. "To simply make up facts and accuse Wil of failure to file income taxes -- a crime -- is beyond shameful."

She added: "Slandering people is not conduct becoming a U.S. senator, though this sort of utter lie is consistent with what we've seen from a career Arizona voters absolutely should not trust."

The Flake campaign's gaffe came in a web video ridiculing a Cardon TV ad that Photoshopped President Barack Obama into a photo with Flake. A Flake insider stressed that Flake took action to fix his web video as soon as he learned it contained erroneous information, but that the Cardon campaign didn't take any action to pull the commercial with the doctored Obama photo or other Cardon web videos that have been criticized as misleading. One web video falsely identified two Republican U.S. congressmen talking to Flake as "lobbyists" while another uses The Arizona Republic's masthead in a misleading way.
    Here is the corrected version of the Flake web video:
    Last edited by working4change; 06-11-2012 at 10:08 AM.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn