Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Florida Gubernatorial Hopefuls Talk Immigration...

http://www.tbo.com/news/metro/MGBNA3DGTOE.html

Gubernatorial Hopefuls Talk Immigration, Education

By WILLIAM MARCH The Tampa Tribune

Published: Jun 24, 2006

ST. PETERSBURG - The four leading candidates for governor of Florida on Friday differed sharply on immigration, Jeb Bush's legacy and education policies, and on stories about their own personal lives.

Jim Davis and Rod Smith, the Democratic contenders, and Republican candidates Charlie Crist and Tom Gallagher spoke and took questions from reporters in a debate sponsored by the Florida Society of Newspaper Editors.

'Earned Citizenship'
    On immigration, Davis, Smith and Crist all said they support the "earned citizenship" approach to immigration reform, like that contained in a bill passed by the U.S. Senate, sponsored in part by U.S. Sen. Mel Martinez, R-Orlando.

Crist, who has been endorsed by Martinez, said he approves of the senator's approach, though Crist also said securing the border is his "first and foremost" goal.

But Gallagher, who has pitched his campaign to the conservative side of the Republican Party, disagreed and used tougher rhetoric on containing illegal immigration.

"We must stop the illegal immigration before we even look at anything else," he said. He said he opposed any plan that would make illegal immigrants think they could obtain citizenship by coming to the United States illegally.

Three of the candidates - Crist, Gallagher and Smith - have seen their personal lives involved in news coverage, political attacks or both.

Davis has been the only one not affected by such coverage.

Noting that he is "married to a stay-at-home mom," Davis said his marriage and family are "who I am. … You all [media] will judge us, and so will the voters."

"Parents need a voice," he added. "Some folks have said they want a governor with a wife and kids in the governor's mansion. That works for me."

The others said such stories were irrelevant - even in the context of a race and a political arena heavily focused on family values and moral issues.

"The reason most people hear about this is because it's an easy story to write about," said Smith. "Folks out there don't care about that as much as you care about writing about it."

Religious Right
    Gallagher has heavily courted the religious right, saying he has changed from younger days when he was known for a fun-loving life style in Tallahassee, said he has learned from mistakes he has made.

"I've probably learned more from the mistakes I've made than I have from the things I've done that have been successful.'

Crist said, "Public decisions are much more important and much more relevant." His opponents, he said, "are good people - I'm proud to be running with them."

On education, both the Republicans praised Jeb Bush's education policies and said they should be continued, while both the Democrats said Florida schools have been allowed to languish underfunded while the state's students slip behind those in other states.

Gallagher and Crist both praised use of the Florida Comprehensive Achievement Test, and Crist said education spending has increased by $1 billion a year. Gallagher noted improvement in reading skills of elementary-level students.

But the Democrats said Florida schools have been forced to focus only on testing.

Bush Legacy
    Smith said Bush's "legacy in terms of education will be his low point," and sharply disputed the Republicans' contentions that they've increased education spending - those claims don't take account of inflation and increases in student population, he said.

Davis said the Bush administration has failed to invest in education to "build the work force" to bring high-paying jobs to Florida.

Contact William March at wmarch@tampatrib.com or (813) 259-7761.

Letter to the Editor Linkhttp://tampatrib.com/opinion/lettertotheeditor.htm
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Tom Gallagher seems to be the most promising out of this group. But who knows what his stand is on illegals already here? I havn't heard anything about it yet from any of them.
    I'm really glad that Jeb Bush will soon be gone though. Damn tired of hearing him speaking Spanish every chance he gets.
    <div align="center">"IF it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight-Dial 1-800-USMC"</div>

Web561, I agree with EVERYTHING you just said. I'm happy now because now we know WHO we will be supporting.

TOM GALLAGHER FOR GOVERNOR !!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by LegalUSCitizen

TOM GALLAGHER FOR GOVERNOR !!
    Yeah, LegalUSCitizen, I second that motion!!!!
    <div align="center">"IF it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight-Dial 1-800-USMC"</div>