Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Florida People, Officials Differ On Immigration

Florida People, Officials Differ On Immigration
    Published: Monday, February 25, 2008
    Second in a series of stories on major issues facing the Florida Legislature, which convenes March 4.
    By CAROL E. LEENYT Regional Media Group

Two-thirds of Florida voters say they want tougher government action against illegal immigration.

And, on the surface at least, the Florida Legislature is responding.

A dozen bills calling for stronger immigration enforcement and regulations have been filed in the Legislature this year - more than double the number last year. The movement is in step with dozens of other states, which are trying to confront illegal immigration themselves in the absence of federal reform.

But in a state with the third-largest immigrant population in the country - an estimated 3.5 million - these bills already face resistance from business- and immigrant-advocacy groups.

And top leaders in state government are not showing much support, either. Gov. Charlie Crist and House Speaker Marco Rubio, who have been at odds on many issues, have shown no signs of pushing tougher immigration laws.

"The agriculture and construction and hospitality industries in Florida would collapse without undocumented immigrants," said Rep. David Rivera, a Miami Republican and close friend of Rubio. "The prospects for success for these types of proposals are dim."

Some leading Republicans see a harsh stance on immigration as a losing position for the GOP, which has slipped in approval among the nation's fastest-growing voting bloc: Latinos, who now represent11 percent of registered voters.

"Politicians that use this as a wedge issue, it's a loser," former Gov. Jeb Bush said of immigration in an October interview with The Hoover Institution. "To totally disarm a group that is the only group that is growing in our country … we do it at our peril. It's wrong and it's stupid."

The bills in Florida's Legislature would, among other things, penalize farmers and government contractors caught hiring undocumented workers, place stricter regulations on public benefits, and require local police to notify federal authorities after arresting illegal immigrants.

Currently, certain regulations, such as having state contractors participate in a federal program to verify their employees' legal status, are voluntary. These bills seek to make them mandatory and allow Florida to levy penalties for violations.

Supporters of the bills say they address the concerns of Florida voters, two-thirds of whom said in a December Quinnipiac University poll that they favor stricter enforcement of immigration laws over integrating illegal immigrants into the United States.

The bills' supporters say stopping illegal immigrants from moving to Florida will save money for legal residents and citizens, and make competition more fair for businesses.

"The state needs to level the playing field for lawful businesses," said David Caulkett, vice president of Floridians for Immigration Reform. "The frustration is just built up."

But Floridians' positions on immigration are not clear-cut.

Exit polls in the state's Jan. 29 presidential primary showed that nearly 60 percent of voters would allow illegal immigrants to stay as temporary workers or gain a path to citizenship.

Critics of the immigration bills say they would force businesses to increase wages and to pay more for benefits, which would make it difficult for them to afford workers and would raise prices for consumers.

"People need to think very carefully about what they want because of the economic consequences," said Sheila Hopkins, associate director for social concerns at the Florida Catholic Conference. "In Florida particularly, we are very vulnerable because of agriculture and tourism being our two biggest industries."

Florida's influx of immigration bills this year follows a national trend.

Nationally, the number of immigration laws adopted by states last year nearly tripled since 2006, from 84 to 240, according to a 2007 report by the National Conference of State Legislatures.

Most aspects of immigration policy, such as border control, are handled by the federal government.

Immigration debates in legislatures across the country largely focus on identification issues, such as driver licenses, employment and public health and education benefits.

The most comprehensive bill under consideration in Florida this year was modeled after a package adopted in Oklahoma last year. The bill, filed by Rep. Don Brown, R-DeFuniak Springs, targets businesses who hire illegal immigrants and requires law enforcement to determine the legal status of those arrested for drunken driving or boating.

It would also force local law enforcement to share information with federal agencies about the legal status of immigrants.

Opponents say the legislation could result in racial profiling and discourage immigrants from reporting crimes.

Proponents say it would encourage deportation of illegal immigrants.

Brown said he decided to focus on immigration after receiving a "vehement response" to an e-mail cartoon he forwarded last year that said, "Don't forget to pay your taxes on April 15. 12 million illegal aliens are counting on you." (He later apologized to legislators for the e-mail).

"It became more apparent to me that there was a more of a problem there than I had realized," said Brown, adding that he does not expect his bill to pass easily.

"Florida's not Oklahoma," Brown said. "It's going to be up to every member of the legislature to act according to their conscience and their constituency."

Except for a bill to prohibit the use of the term "illegal alien" in state documents, all of the immigration bills in the Florida Legislature this year have been filed by Republicans, who control both chambers of the Legislature and the governor's office.

But in this demographically diverse state, one Republican legislator's illegal immigration crackdown is another's political minefield.

"For some people this is a real winner, but for a lot of Republicans in this state immigration is not a real winner," said Rep. Keith Fitzgerald, D-Sarasota. "I just don't know if this is an issue the speaker and some of his closest allies want to see debated on the floor of the House."
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KEY PLAYERS AND BILLS:

Rep. Don Brown, R-DeFuniak Springs, chairman of the Committee on Insurance and vice chair of the Jobs & Entrepreneurship Council. Brown's bill (HB 73) would:

Allow public employees to report people's immigration status to federal authorities and other local and state agencies.

Require that local law enforcement verify the immigration status of people arrested for drunk driving or boating. Those found to be in the country illegally would be reported to federal authorities and would be considered flight risks when a judge set their bail.

Require public employers and state contractors and subcontractors to participate in a federal program to verify the legal status of new employees.

Prohibit municipal and county governments from adopting so-called sanctuary policies.

Make it a first-degree misdemeanor for someone to knowingly shelter or transport an illegal immigrant.

Sen. Mike Fasano, R-New Port Richey, chairman of the Transportation and Economic Development Appropriations committee. Fasano's bill (SB 124) would:

Punish farmers who employ illegal immigrants by taking away their agricultural land classification for 2-10 years and fining them $25,000 for each worker.

Another Fasano bill (SB 38 would:

Ban contractors from doing business with the state if they do not participate in a federal program to verify the legal status of their employees.

Require state agencies and political subdivisions to verify the legal status of those over age 18 who apply for state, local or federal public benefits.

Sen. Mike Bennett, R-Bradenton, has filed SB 1086 that would stiffen penalties for someone who committed a crime after illegally returning to the United States following deportation. It would also offer shortened prison sentences to illegal immigrants in exchange for voluntary deportation.

http://www.theledger.com/article/200802 ... 50378/1039
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Critics of the immigration bills say they would force businesses to increase wages and to pay more for benefits, which would make it difficult for them to afford workers and would raise prices for consumers.
    Any business who hires illegals should not be in business period.

"People need to think very carefully about what they want because of the economic consequences," said Sheila Hopkins, associate director for social concerns at the Florida Catholic Conference. "In Florida particularly, we are very vulnerable because of agriculture and tourism being our two biggest industries."
    Yes, let's talk about economic consequences of illegals already here.

1. Paid substandard wages, bringing pay back to the where it was in the 70's.

2. Breeding like rabbits and freeloading from our social services system.

3. Overcrowding homes, depreciating nearby homes values.

4. Overburdening our schools, which WE pay for.

5. Using emergency rooms for primary care medical, which WE pay for.

6. Stealing identities of US citizens, causing said citizens financial harm.

7. NO respect for our laws or customs.

8. Drunk driving.

9. Uneducated drivers cause accidents and they don't have insurance.

So tell me again what are the economic benefits of illegal aliens?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

with the lib dem senators we have in Fl . I see no hope at all . Not to mention our very own gay gov who supports McAmnesty . There are only a handful of state reps that are doing their oath of office . Those few against the many = No Chance imo
    Nam vet 1967/1970 Skull & Bones can KMA .Bless our Brothers that gave their all ..It also gives me the right to Vote for Chuck Baldwin 2008 POTUS . NOW or never*

with the lib dem senators we have in Fl . I see no hope at all . Not to mention our very own gay gov who supports McAmnesty . There are only a handful of state reps that are doing their oath of office . Those few against the many = No Chance imo
    I have to agree.

If we all contact the Florida legislator in support of these bills I think they may have a chance to pass.

Floridians are FEDUP and are complaining and I hope all of you out there will do the same or we will become another California.
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

Don't miss understand my earlier post . It's only truefull of our mess with our Fl elected officals . I try everyday to shake their souls and tell them money ain't everything . But it seems most love to tap dance to the almighty dollar and promises of Elite power .
    It just gets harder every day for me . God have Mercy on our Country and our once great state .
    Nam vet 1967/1970 Skull & Bones can KMA .Bless our Brothers that gave their all ..It also gives me the right to Vote for Chuck Baldwin 2008 POTUS . NOW or never*

Quote Originally Posted by tencz57
    Don't miss understand my earlier post . It's only truefull of our mess with our Fl elected officals . I try everyday to shake their souls and tell them money ain't everything . But it seems most love to tap dance to the almighty dollar and promises of Elite power .
    It just gets harder every day for me . God have Mercy on our Country and our once great state .
    I understand.... but I will go down fighting even if Rep Connie Mack and our 2 Senators ignore me. I just keep thinking about getting them thrown out of office and how sweet that will be.
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by USPatriot
    Quote Originally Posted by tencz57
    I understand.... but I will go down fighting even if Rep Connie Mack and our 2 Senators ignore me. I just keep thinking about getting them thrown out of office and how sweet that will be.
    I’ve approached Rep Connie Mack a couple of times on this. You get the standard lip service, “I’ll have to look in to it and I’ll get back with you.â€
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!