Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Florida's Federal Real ID Act of 2005 for Drivers Licenses

My Mother who lives in Florida for over 20 years spent many hours last Friday gathering 50 years of documentation to renew her Florida drivers license under the new drivers license law implimented January 01, 2010.

Mexicans can go to Catalina Island and get an ID in a matter of minutes without any proof of who they are. That is sickening and the fact the Federal Government allws this and allows them to take refuge in a church and cite the Vienna Convention as a protective cover to perpetuate their blatant attempt to circunvent US laws by assisting their illegal aliens to come and remain in the US is the most abusive misuse of their privilige to have a consualte in the US.

Whats even worse is I have read that there are 17 states who currently accept this matricular card as a valid form of identification. I am trying to locate that list of states so if anybody knows please post it here for me.

Below is what I found on Florida's website regarding the new drivers license law. I hope they don't accept the Mexican fake ID card.

The federal REAL ID Act of 2005 sets new standards for the issuance of driver licenses and identification cards.

The Department of Homeland Security has released its rules to implement the requirements of the REAL ID Act:

REAL ID Good to Know Facts
    The REAL ID Act became effective nationwide on May 11, 2008. Florida began issuing REAL ID compliant credentials after January 1, 2010. The new credentials have a single gold star in the upper right corner of the card, as shown in the sample license example on the left.

Your current Florida license or ID card will continue to be valid as identification for federal purposes until December 1, 2014 for individuals born after December 1, 1964 and December 1, 2017 for everyone else.

After the 2014 and 2017 dates, Federal agencies will no longer accept a driver license or ID card unless it is Real ID compliant. This means you will not be allowed to board commercial flights or enter federal facilities unless you have a REAL ID compliant document.

Florida has met the 18 material compliant requirements of REAL ID.
    REAL ID Act - Frequently Asked Questions

Question: What is REAL ID?
    Answer: REAL ID is a nationwide effort to improve the integrity and security of State-issued driver licenses and identification cards, which in turn will help fight terrorism and reduce fraud.

Question: Does Florida plan to issue REAL ID licenses and ID cards?
    Answer: Yes, Florida began issuing REAL ID licenses and ID cards on January 1, 2010.

Question: Do I need to get a new license on May 11, 2008, if I intend to fly or enter federal facilities?
    Answer: No, your current Florida license or ID card will remain valid and acceptable for official federal purposes.

Question How long will federal agencies continue to accept my non REAL ID compliant Florida license or ID card for air travel and other official federal purposes?
    Answer: Federal agencies will continue to accept your valid, unexpired Florida license or ID card for official purposes until December 1, 2014 for individuals born after December 1, 1964 or December 1, 2017 for everyone else.

Question: What documents do I need to bring with me when I apply for a REAL ID compliant license or ID card?
    Answer: You will need to bring one of the following to establish your identity, proof of legal residence and date of birth: For a detailed list of required items, please visit, www.gathergoget.com

For U.S. Citizens:

Valid, unexpired U.S. passport

Original or Certified copy of a birth certificate

Consular Report of Birth Abroad

Certificate of Naturalization issued by DHS

Certificate of Citizenship

Court or marriage/divorce documents that provide proof of a change in name that differs from your primary identity document
    For Non-Citizens:

Valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card – I-551 for Lawful Permanent Residents

Valid Passport for non-immigrants except for asylum applicants and refugees

Other government issued document showing your full name

Department of Homeland Security document showing proof of lawful presence

If your name has changed by marriage/divorce, you must have your name changed on your Citizen and Immigration Services (CIS) documents.
    Both Citizens and Non-Citizens will need to bring:

Your Social Security Card or proof of your social security number.
    A list of documents that provide proof of the social security number can be found on our website at:
    www.flhsmv.gov/ddl/address.html
    Two documents that show your principal residence
    A list of these kinds of documents can be found on our website at: www.flhsmv.gov/ddl/address.html

Question: Will I still be able to renew my license online after January 1, 2010?
    Answer: You are allowed to renew one time by a convenience method (Internet or mail). Your next renewal must then be in a driver license office. For example, if you renewed your license online in March 2009, you will need to visit a driver license office for your next renewal.

Question: Will the new card look significantly different?
    Answer: No, expected changes will be minor. The new cards will have a gold star in the upper right corner to make them easily recognizable as Real ID compliant.

Question: Will I be able to have both a REAL ID driver license and a REAL ID identification card?
    Answer: No, the final Rule specifies that each individual can only hold a REAL ID driver license or a REAL ID identification card, but not both simultaneously. If you currently hold both, one will be cancelled during your next card issuance.

Question: After Florida begins issuing REAL ID licenses and ID cards, can I get mine before the expiration date on my current license or ID card?
    Answer: Yes, a normal Class E license can be renewed up to 18 months prior and a Commercial Driver License up to 12 months prior to the card's expiration date.
    "Where is our democracy if the federal government can break the laws written and enacted by our congress on behalf of the people?"

I used myself as an example and this is my check list of what I need to renew my driver's license.

http://www.gathergoget.com/checklist/index.php

You told us that your current license or ID expires on this date: September 27, 2016
    Be sure to renew online or visit an office before this date. You can renew a Class E license up to 18 months before the expiration date.

Original Driver License or Identification Card Florida law requires identification, proof of date of birth, proof of residential address, and proof of social security number (if issued, Chapter 322, Florida Statutes, requires the Department see proof of social security number for the issuance of driver license and identification cards) from all customers before a driver license or identification card can be issued. The name assigned to the social security number must match the name that will appear on the Florida driver license or identification card. If you have recently changed your name, update your records with the Social Security Administration before you apply for your license or identification card.

Each Non-U.S. Immigrant renewing or applying for a new driver license or identification card in person after January 1, 2010 must submit:

(You will not be required to present these document for subsequent renewals unless your information - last name, address etc - changes)

1 Primary Identification
    Gather one original or certified copy of the following documents:

Valid Alien Registration receipt card, (Green card, Form I-551)
    I-551 stamp in passport or on I-94
    Immigration Judges Order, with the customer's A-number, granting asylum
    I-797, with the customer's A-number, stating the customer has been granted asylum
    I-797 or another form from the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services, with the customer's A-number, stating the customer's application for Refugee status is approved

2 Proof of Social Security Number
    Gather one original of the following documents that show your complete social security number:

Social Security card
    must be an original in your current full name
    W-2 form
    Pay check/stub
    SSA-1099
    Any 1099 (not handwritten)
    None - see note below
    I don't have a Social Security Number

3 2 Proofs of Residential Address
    Gather TWO different documents from the following list showing your residential address: (internet printouts or faxes of these documents are acceptable)

Deed, mortgage, monthly mortgage statement, mortgage payment booklet or residential rental/lease agreement
    Florida Voter Registration Card
    Florida Vehicle Registration or Title
    Print a duplicate registration at www.gorenew.com
    Florida Boat Registration or Title (if living on a boat/houseboat)
    Print a duplicate registration at www.gorenew.com
    Two proofs of residential address from applicant's parent, step-parent, legal guardian or other person with whom the applicant resides, along with (see next)
    A statement from a parent, step-parent, legal guardian or other person with whom the applicant resides, combined with two proofs of their residential address (see above)
    A utility hook up or work order dated within 60 days of the application
    Automobile Payment Booklet
    Selective Service Card
    Medical or health card with address listed
    Current homeowner’s insurance policy or bill
    Current automobile insurance policy or bill
    Educational institution transcript forms for the current school year
    Unexpired professional license issued by a government agency in the U.S.
    W-2 form or 1099 form
    Form DS2019, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) status
    A letter from a homeless shelter, transitional service provider, or a half-way house verifying that they receive mail for the customer. The letter must be accompanied by the Certification of Address Form (see next)
    Certification of Address Form combined with a letter from a homeless shelter, transitional service provider, or a half-way house (see above)
    Utility bills, not more than two months old
    Mail from financial institutions; including checking, savings, or investment account statements, not more than two months old
    Mail from Federal, State, County or City government agencies (including city and county agencies)
    Transients – Sexual Offender/Predator/Career Offender: - FDLE Registration form completed by local sheriff’s department
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

At the end of the day we all know that illegals will drive without a valid driver's license. In South Florida we have all kinds of hit and run accidents on a regular basis some of which are fatal. Many of those drivers are never caught.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by swatchick
    At the end of the day we all know that illegals will drive without a valid driver's license. In South Florida we have all kinds of hit and run accidents on a regular basis some of which are fatal. Many of those drivers are never caught.
    My auto insurance just went up and they told me it is because of unlicensed and uninsured drivers. FL. has a serious problem.

About the Real ID. Act. Haven't several states refused to comply ? If so then no state should have to comply.
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

I have coverage incase I get hit by an unlicensed driver as you really need it i Florida. At one point 1 in 17 drivers in Broward County had either a suspended license or no valid license and in Miami Dade it is much worse.