Foreign-born kids become U.S. citizens in Old Sac ceremony
By Deia de Brito
ddebrito@sacbee.com
Published: Thursday, Jul. 1, 2010 - 3:01 pm
Last Modified: Thursday, Jul. 1, 2010 - 3:22 pm

Ten foreign-born children received U.S. citizenship papers in a special Old Sacramento ceremony today.

The children, ages 3 to 14, each received certificates of citizenship -- documents given to people who are foreign-born but have a parent who is a U.S. citizen.

"This is a day you will remember for the rest of your life," said Kathryn Radtkey-Gathier, the state undersecretary of education, to a crowd of families at the Old Sacramento Schoolhouse this morning.

Several countries were represented at the first citizenship ceremony ever held in the historic schoolhouse. Children whose families hail from China, Mexico, Pakistan, the Philippines, Poland, Singapore and Vietnam swapped their green cards for certificates.

"I feel good that I'm a U.S. citizen now so I can vote," said John Richard Sumo, 10 years old. His mother became a citizen in 2000. He arrived in the United States from the Philippines with his grandparents two years ago.

Eehza Naseem, 11, was born in Pakistan but her father is a U.S. citizen. She carried a green card until she was naturalized earlier this week.

"Everybody says we are Pakistani and not American. Now, nobody can say this is not your country," said Qaisera Naseem, Eehza's mother, who also is applying for citizenship. "Where we live, where your house is, that's your country."

http://www.sacbee.com/2010/07/01/286392 ... izens.html