www.washingtontimes.com

Forum: A nation of outlaws
Published August 28, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A citizen of the United States is a native-born, foreign-born, or naturalized person who owes allegiance to the United States and who is entitled to its protection.

-- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

America has been invaded by an army of illegal aliens who are quickly gaining more rights than Americans. Last week in Arizona, an American had to surrender his land to illegal aliens who claimed he had assaulted them. The two criminals were caught trespassing on his property after crossing the border in violation of federal law.

In return for our allegiance to the United States, we certainly don't get the protection we're entitled to. Illegal immigration costs American taxpayers billions of dollars every year. In California alone the cost is $10.5 billion annually. The price for the rest of the country, especially border states, is staggeringly incomprehensible. Illegal immigration is also a public safety risk because aliens undergo no medical screening before entering. As a result, diseases once eradicated or virtually eradicated have resurged. Where is the so-called protection we're entitled to?

According to the 2000 Census, an estimated 8 million illegal aliens were living in the U.S., and 1 million a year continue flooding across the border. Mexican citizens are required to have either a non-immigration visa or Border Crossing Card to enter the country, and no immigrant is to be admitted unless he has suitable and valid travel documentation. In violation of federal law, millions of foreigners don't possess these documents. Outlaws.

Detractors will ask, "Do you really expect the government to round up each illegal alien and kick him out?" In a word, yes. The money spent educating, imprisoning and providing health care to criminal aliens should be diverted to reinforcing the borders and enforcing immigration law.

But the federal government seems uninterested in enforcing the law. As a result, local governments are expending, illegally, public funds to alleviate damage from the invasion.

On Aug. 16, 2005, the Herndon, Va., Town Council in a 5-2 vote approved a plan to build an illegal gathering spot for "day laborers" so they can wait for lawbreaking employers to illegally hire them. More outlaws.

One group is trying to do what the U.S. government refuses to do. Judicial Watch, dedicated to protecting citizens from the government, will sue Herndon. "[N]o public official has any inherent power to authorize or facilitate unlawful acts using taxpayer funds. ... Law enforcement is in order, not taxpayer subsidies," said Tom Fitton, Judicial Watch president.

Because the federal government is indifferent to its problem, the Town of Herndon was essentially forced to break the law. I asked Council Member Dennis Husch, who voted against the plan, whether Herndon law enforcement officials were allowed to ask so-called day laborers about their citizenship status. "[Immigration Customs and Enforcement] has refused to enforce immigration laws in Herndon and has refused to allow Herndon police to enforce federal immigration laws," he said. I called the mayor for comment, but the call was not returned.

I wanted to know what Immigration Customs and Enforcement (ICE) had to say about the day labor center. I spoke with Jamie Zuieback, an ICE spokeswoman, who told me I would have to speak to a "local official in Herndon," on the matter.

"I thought I'd also speak to someone at ICE, the government entity charged with enforcing immigration law," I said. Miss Zuieback responded with a canned and not-so-accurate line: "We continue to work closely with law enforcement partners to enforce immigration laws, and I don't have anything to say about a local issue."

The federal agency responsible for enforcing federal immigration laws has nothing to say about the "local issue" of illegal immigration. Meanwhile, Herndon citizens will contribute to an illegal enterprise for illegal aliens who should receive deportation hearings instead of a brand-new building where they can wait for off-the-books jobs.

What would the Founders say about the state of our country? President John Adams, predicted the collapse of democracy. "It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide."

Illegal immigration has burdened America and changed our culture for the worst, and our own government refuses to do anything about it. We are no longer a nation ruled by the people and for the people.

We are a nation of outlaws.