Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Frist wants vote on immigration bill

Frist wants vote on immigration bill
    WASHINGTON - Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist on Sunday said he wants a Senate vote soon on an immigration bill focusing primarily on border security, but acknowledged that quick passage is doubtful.

Frist, R-Tenn., said he's willing to push ahead with the bill favored by House Republicans, which is narrower than the version he and other senators favor. Even so, action may not be possible before the November elections, he said.

"If you're going to address immigration reform, you have to first and foremost secure our borders," he said on ABC's "This Week." "What I've done, and hopefully what we'll be voting on the floor of the Senate this week, is take the common parts of the House bill and the common parts of the Senate bill."

In December, the House passed legislation that concentrated on border security and enforcement of laws banning employment of undocumented workers. The Senate in May then passed a broader bill, generally endorsed by President Bush, that included provisions for a guest worker program and ways for the nation's estimated 12 million illegal immigrants to work toward legal status and eventual citizenship.

There's been no progress in efforts to reconcile the two bills.

With no prospects this year for passing broader immigration changes favored by the Senate, House GOP leaders said taking action to seal the border was a matter of urgency. But some lawmakers such as Sen. Arlen Specter (news, bio, voting record), R-Pa., have said he's not sure immigration could be addressed "on a piecemeal basis."

On Sunday, Frist said he would like to move forward with some kind of legislation as a first step if his opponents in Congress can get beyond election-year partisanship.

"I think the Democrats right now in this political season, they are obstructing everything," he said.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060924/ap_ ... mmigration
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Is First coming up for reelection in November, he sure his doing a bit of flip flopping. Well Lets hope those folks in Tennessee have it together and remove this pro illegal politician.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    Isn't Frist retiring at the end of his term, possibly so he can run fror President?

Quote Originally Posted by Kate
    Isn't Frist retiring at the end of his term, possibly so he can run fror President?
    If he is old flounder First will not get my vote.

All the Congressmen that voted for Comprehensive Immigration have shot themselves in the foot. They will be forever known in our heart and mind and probably history as traitors!

Boy, you said it CCUSA.

They should just put a red line through their names and write: "Not applicable".

I'll vote for Barney for President before voting for First, or whatever the hell his name is.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockfish
    I'll vote for Barney for President before voting for First, or whatever the hell his name is.
    Me too. He looked Bill O'Reilly in his face and said he would not support the Amnesty Bill that the Senate was going for, and the very next day he voted for the Amnesty Bill

He's a liar, and he talks out of both sides of his mouth!

Mr. Frist had his chance. After his trip to the White House just before the vote, he flip flopped. Before he did that I had really liked him, now I can't stand to see his face.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by Kate
    I just saw him speak at an event this week and he said he won't be running for another term. Initially, he promised that he'd only serve two terms and he says he's going to keep that promise.