Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Ft. Bragg is Bush's pick for speech

http://www.newsobserver.com/politics...-8938359c.html

Bragg is Bush's pick for speech
    Prime-time talk on Iraq to be delivered from N.C. base

President Bush tells Iraq's prime minister U.S. will complete 'an important mission.'

By ROB CHRISTENSEN, Staff Writer

President Bush, who will use Fort Bragg as a backdrop for a prime-time speech next week to rally the country behind the war in Iraq, ruled out Friday any timetables for withdrawal of troops from Iraq.
    In a meeting in the White House with Iraqi Prime Minister Ibrahim al-Jaafari, Bush said this was a critical moment in the war on terrorism and in establishing a democracy in Iraq.

"There's not going to be any timetables," Bush said. "We are there to complete a mission, and it's an important mission."

The White House has asked the television networks to broadcast his speech from Fort Bragg, scheduled for Tuesday night on the anniversary of the transfer of power from the U.S.-led coalition to Iraq's interim government.

President Bush is coming Tuesday to Fort Bragg to talk about Iraq. What would you tell him if you had the chance? Tell us, and we'll publish what some of you have to say. Send your thoughts to iraq@newsobserver.com. Please include your full name, address and a telephone number where you can be reached during the day.

WHAT'S AHEAD: TRACKING IRAQ

President Bush's view of the progress in Iraq involves a "two-track strategy."

One track is to support the establishment of a stable democracy in Iraq. That process started with elections in January for an interim government. The next steps are the drafting of a constitution by Aug. 15 and holding a national referendum to ratify it. If approved, the constitution will pave the way for general elections for a permanent government by Dec. 15.

The other track is training and equipping Iraqi security forces to defend the nation against the insurgency.

As part of that strategy, Bush said the United States would not set a timetable for departure of its forces.

The speech comes at a time when public support for the war in Iraq is declining. Even a few Republicans, such as Rep. Walter Jones of Farmville, have called on the president to set a timetable for the beginning of withdrawal.

In what is likely a preview of his remarks in North Carolina, Bush said the drumbeat of killings and roadside bombings by insurgents is designed to provide pictures on television that will discourage both Americans and Iraqis. But he said such carnage will not deter efforts to establish a democratic government to replace the fallen dictatorship of Saddam Hussein.

"The enemy's goal is to drive us out of Iraq before the Iraqis have established a secure, democratic government," Bush said. "They will not succeed. ... Our troops will continue to train Iraqi security forces so these forces can defend their country and protect their people from terror. And as Iraqis become more capable in defending their nation, our troops will eventually return home with the honor they have earned."

The president's Fort Bragg speech will take place in front of hundreds of troops, but the event will not be open to the public, according to the White House. The base is the home of the 82nd Airborne Division.

An anti-war group plans to sponsor a peace vigil Tuesday in downtown Fayetteville before the president's speech.

Bush said Friday that he plans to meet with the families of those soldiers killed.

"The hardest part of my job is to comfort the family members who have lost a loved one, which I intend to do when I do down to North Carolina on Tuesday," he said.

Dip in support

After he handily won the state in the 2004 election, Bush has found his popularity declining as the fatalities -- now at least 1,730 U.S. troops -- have continued to mount.

A statewide survey taken earlier this month by American Viewpoint, a Republican polling firm in Alexandria, Va., found that 49 percent of registered voters in North Carolina approved of the job the president was doing, while 46 percent disapproved. The June 6 through 8 survey of 800 registered voters had a margin of error of 3.5 percent.

Another poll, conducted by Elon University in March, found an increasing percentage of North Carolinians do not believe that Bush has a clear plan for bringing the war in Iraq to a successful conclusion. Fifty-six percent said Bush did not have a clear plan for ending the war, while 43 percent said the United States should reduce the number of troops in Iraq.

Seeking direction

"Folks want to know where we are headed," said Rep. Mike McIntyre, a Democrat who represents part of Fort Bragg. "Which is the way we can move forward to a conclusion? Not a specific timetable. We don't want to endanger our troops. But a plan for a success strategy in Iraq. It will be important for the president to address that."

Rep. Robin Hayes, a Republican who also represents Fort Bragg, said the administration has already outlined a strategy, ticking off dates for Iraqi elections and adoption of a constitution. As Iraqi security forces are trained, Hayes said, U.S. troops can begin turning over control.

"There is a very clear exit strategy," said Hayes, who this week helped form the congressional "Victory in Iraq Caucus" to support U.S. policy.

Jerry Meek, the state Demo-cratic chairman, practices law in Fayetteville, the home of Fort Bragg. He said he would like to see more candor from the president.

"I hope for once he will be honest with the American people about what led us to war and about the planning, or lack thereof, that was done and on how we are going to get out of the mess he created," Meek said.

Staff writer Rob Christensen can be reached at 829-4532 or robc@newsobserver.com.

?

Should ALIPAC plan any type of silent objection somewhere that the motorcade can view us with signs or something saying "what about the illegal aliens" or "Secure our Borders" or something like that?

Should we try to coordinate with other groups to make it a BIG although SILENT objection to Bush's handling of the illegal alien issue?

We certainly don't want to be perceived as anything other than law abiding citizens trying to get a point across. True?

Just curious as to anyone's thoughts on this.

Every time I read about picketing Bush, I see that people are put in Free Speech Zones with fences around them out of the view of King George. He doesn’t like to see negative things about him.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

~

Every time I read about picketing Bush, I see that people are put in Free Speech Zones with fences around them out of the view of King George. He doesn’t like to see negative things about him.
    I can dig that. I don't like it either. No one likes it.

I was thinking we could maybe line the road like the abortion protesters holding hands with the signs attached to our bodies or something like that. Like a human guardrail, ya know. Long as we don't sing Cum-ba-ya or shout or anything, we should be okay. Maybe have flags on the signs because we are all about saving the USA!

I do not advocate turning our backs on him, however. That's just rude!!! Mama didn't raise me like that. She'd beat me to death. She's over 6 ft. tall! I try not to make her angry too often, know wut I mean, man?

Just my opinion....I don't think we want to get mixed in with the anti-war crowd. I want our troops home immediately and on our borders but not because I'm opposed to the war. While I am very disappointed about alot of things in Iraq, I am not opposed to the mission and believe it is a great gift that we have given Iraq...which will one day in turn be a gift to our future generations who will have an ally in the Middle East. I also believe that we need to send more of our troops home as the issues now in Iraq are law and order issues and our troops are the targets.

It isn't necessary for us to train Iraqis on how to deal with insurgents. They know better than we do how to control this within Iraq...IMHO. We need a force there, but not the large force we have now. I also hope the Iraqis will invite us to have a military base there as I believe this would be useful to both nations.

What I would like to see following the President's Speech is a post of the speech so we can address it...you know with posts.

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Judy

Just my opinion....I don't think we want to get mixed in with the anti-war crowd.
    It never occured to me we might get confused with the anti-war people, Judy. You're absolutely right about that. We don't want our message to be anything other than anti-illegal aliens and Secure our borders -- NOW.

Not Anti-war.

You're right. Thanks for pointing that out!

Way to go, JUDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Judy,
    We don’t want to be part of the Anti-war crowd whether we agree with it or not. I can tell you one thing that our country has given IRAQ, they have been forced to give up their natural seeds for GM Seeds that they have to purchase from a US company each year.

http://100777.com/node/1022
    http://www.commondreams.org/views05/0315-26.htm

Protesting Bush is a waste of time. We have to go after the senators to get any work done. JMHO
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

~

Protesting Bush is a waste of time. We have to go after the senators to get any work done. JMHO
    And as the Saturday Night Live crowd would say "And that's the truth"!!!

By the way, our elected officials are all sick of me!!! We're pretty much on a first name basis at this point. They've started answering my emails as, "Dear Cathy".

I'm not sure if that's a good sign or not!!

I guess that depends on what your real name is.

I don’t think my senators like me that much, well at least Senator Dole, because never responds to me. I guess my vote doesn’t matter to her. If she only knew that the 10 or so web sites that I have get in excess of 4,000,000 unique visitors per year. And I like to talk to them all.

~

I guess that depends on what your real name is.
    Why, it's Mrs. Blake Carrington. But you can call me Kristle. Shall I tell Alexis you said hello?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast