Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

GA House approves fee on illegal immigrants’ wire

I though I'd post this here too.

House approves fee on illegal immigrants’ wire transfers
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    By: Nancy Badertscher
    02/14/2006

After two hours of contentious debate, the Georgia House approved legislation today that would impose a 5 percent fee on illegal immigrants who use wire transfers to send money out of the country.

The “Illegal Immigration Fee Act,” the first bill focusing on illegal immigration to reach a legislative chamber, passed 106 to 60.

Supporters of HB 1238 billed it as a small step to recouping some of what state government spends on health care, mostly emergency room care, for illegal immigrants.

Detractors argued that it would penalize hard-working people, many of whom are doing jobs that Americans don’t want. They also suggested the fee on wire transfers could send more undocumented workers underground and harm U.S. companies.

State Rep. Tom Rice (R-Norcross), the bill’s chief sponsor, said the fee would allow illegal immigrants to pay back some of the costs they impose on the health care system.

“All it says is: If you are here illegally, and you seek to transfer money out of the country by wire, you will be asked to pay,” Rice said. “We’re not going to send you to jail or get the immigration bus after you.”

He said estimates show that about $1 billion is wired out of Georgia each year to Mexico.

The fee would not apply to anyone who can prove they are in this country legally by presenting one of more than a dozen documents, including a driver’s license or passport.

The bill was amended on the House floor to exempt the fee if the illegal immigrant can produce a pay stub or a tax return that shows they’ve paid taxes in Georgia.

Democrats lead the floor fight against the bill. But state Rep. Austin Scott (R-Tifton) was an exception.

Scott declared the need for immigration reform because of the impact that illegals are having on crime, public schools and even his personal comfort level. “It bothers me that the children of an illegal immigrant in this country will have the same rights to citizenship as my child,” he said.

But Scott said he believes Rice’s bill would “tax people who are doing the best they can to provide for their families.

“I’ve got a moral problem with that,” he said.

Scott said illegal immigration should be addressed at the federal level and said he feared, with Rice’s bill, the state is “headed down the road with piecemeal immigration reform, instead of meaningful immigration reform.”

Rep. Al Williams of Midway was one of several Democrats to denounce the bill as punishing those who are struggling to make a living and “good enough to pick our onions, gather our straw, wash our dishes.

“You cannot be a persecutor of the least of God’s people, and convince your people back home you love the Lord,” Williams said.

The bill now goes to the state Senate, where a comprehensive bill dealing with immigration, has been introduced.

Link

Detractors argued that it would penalize hard-working people, many of whom are doing jobs that Americans don’t want. They also suggested the fee on wire transfers could send more undocumented workers underground and harm U.S. companies.
    I'm going to get out my violin. I'm so sick of hearing this tune.

[quote]But Scott said he believes Rice’s bill would “tax people who are doing the best they can to provide for their families.

“I’ve got a moral problem with that,â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Lets all send this to our local NC Representatives. My is going out now.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

just sent it to Soles and Stiller, I don't think Soles has ever responded to any of my emails. Stiller has been good at responding (well at least Carla is) .

This is really good news. Poor Georgia !! The illegal situation there is unbelievable. I think they've almost become Florida II. Georgia !! You don't want to become like Florida. You REALLY don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlesoakisland
    Excellent idea Charles. We should send this out to everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlesoakisland
    Excellent idea Charles. We should send this out to everyone!

If ours can't lead by example, perhaps they can follow by example.

Isn't this something that should also be done at the federal level, to recoup federal income and social security taxes that are not being paid? Actually, if the low end of the federal income tax withholding is around 15%, and employee share of social security/medicare is around 7.5%, should not the federal government require money transfer agencies to withhold 22.5% of the money if the person cannot show either a US passport, foreign passport with valid visa or "green card", or a paystub showing that federal taxes are being withheld. Drivers licenses are generally worthless to prove legal redidence. States like Georgia would, in addition to the federal government, be able to withhold as in this legislation to recapture revenues for state and local costs.

This could make NC as much money as the lottery will.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast