Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 10:00 pm

Colton Campbell/Times-Georgian

A Carroll County judge said he wasn't "going to let them out" as he denied bond Friday to two defendants, including one who is accused of breaking into a girl's room and raping her.

Juan Onan "Junior" Gomez, 34, was scheduled to go before Judge Quillian Baldwin for a bond hearing, but Baldwin denied bond without the inmate appearing.

Gomez was one of two inmates scheduled for bond hearings who required the use of a translator. Baldwin denied both of them without hearings, citing their being charged with sex crimes and their having Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) holds.

Gomez is accused of entering a 13-year-old's room through her bedroom window and raping her in early June. He's been charged with burglary and rape for the incident, occurring on South Street in Carrollton.

Public defender Joseph Roberto called each of the cases and gave the judge some of the specific circumstances, at which point Baldwin said he would not be awarding a bond.

"I'm going to deny bond, so there's not much sense in have a bond hearing," the judge said. "I'm not going to let them out."

Baldwin explained that Gomez has an ICE detainer pending, which means that, even if Baldwin granted the man a bond and he made that bond, he would still be subject to that hold. An immigration detainer is used to notify a specific law enforcement agency — in this case, Carrollton Police Department — that ICE intends to assume custody of an alleged alien in the agency's custody once the person is no longer subject to the agency's detention.

"I'm going to do everything I can to keep [him] in," Baldwin said. "If [he's] found not guilty I'm sorry, but you can forget about bond."

Assistant District Attorney Anne Allen said the case was being prepared to be presented to the grand jury in August for possible indictment.

If indicted, Gomez will presumably appear before Baldwin in September for arraignment.

http://www.times-georgian.com/news/l...9bb30f31a.html