Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

George Allen Splits with Bush on Immigration

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2006 ... 1737.shtml

Sunday, April 2, 2006 2:14 p.m. EDT

George Allen Splits with Bush on Immigration

Sen. George Allen split with President Bush over the illegal immigration crisis on Sunday, making him the only likely 2008 presidential candidate to back an "enforcement first" approach to border security.

"I think it's vitally important that we first and foremost recognize that there's a consensus in America that we need to secure our borders," Allen told ABC's "This Week."

"I don't think that we ought to be passing anything that rewards illegal behavior or amnesty," he said, before adding pointedly: "Is that different than the president's position? Apparently so."

Allen said that the Bush guest worker program would amount to "rewarding illegal behavior . . . It allows those who are here illegally then to get in line to become a citizen. If we have a reward for illegal behavior all we'll get is more illegal behavior. I want us to secure our borders."

On the possibility of a guest worker program, the 2008 presidential hopeful explained:

"It may be several years down the road or months down the road - we can get a consensus on how you handle a good temporary worker system."

To halt the flow of illegals into the country, Allen told "This Week" that he favored using more detention facilities, unmanned aerial vehicles and a border fence.

"I think you can have an actual fence in some places and in other places a virtual fence . . . Key areas, I think, need to have an actual fence."

But Virginia Republican warned: "We have neglected, as a government, the first responsibility - and that's to secure the border . . . first and foremost, we need to secure our borders."

Near the end of the interview Allen concluded: "We are a country of immigrants but we're also a country of laws."
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

HOORAH!!!

GO GEORGE ALLEN!!!!

That'll make some people happy in VIRGINIA!!!

And some Americans too, eh?

The others will start jumping ship now!!

We can H O P E!!

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Cautious Optimism

Hi Judy,

Exercising cautious optimism, maybe. If he should win the primary
    gotta keep in mind that he'll be going up against the
    "smartest woman in the world" - Hillary.

Coto

What part of "We don't owe our jobs to India" are you unable to understand, Senator?

down with Bush and UP WITH ALLEN!

WOW, this is a total 180 for this guy. This guy is usually very mediocre on immigration, but maybe he's feeling the heat and is starting to listen to his constituents. I've been hounding this guy for years on immigration. I hope this isn't just merely lipservice he's given, but so far he's saying the right things. Of course if he votes for guestworker and sells out, I'll rip him a new one.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I sent Sen Allen a letter to thank him for siding with us and not siding with President Bush. I figure we need all the help we can get and those Republicans who don't side with Bush need all the encouragement they can get from us so they don't feel the pressure to cave in and give Bush what he wants.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn