Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

George P. Bush - Next-generation Bush defends uncle

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/local/16184642.htm

Posted on Thu, Dec. 07, 2006

Next-generation Bush defends uncle
    By AMAN BATHEJA
    STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER

GEORGE P. BUSHSix months after moving to Fort Worth from Dallas, presidential nephew George P. Bush on Wednesday addressed a local Republican group on the future of the GOP and defended an attack on his uncle's immigration policies.

Bush, son of Florida Gov. Jeb Bush and nephew of President George W. Bush, spoke at the Fort Worth Republican Women's annual Christmas luncheon at the Petroleum Club in downtown Fort Worth.

"Fort Worth is a very special place, and we are absolutely delighted to be citizens of this city," said George P. Bush, who has been touted as a possible contender to further the Bush political dynasty.

Bush is vice president of Charter Holdings, a real estate investment company in Dallas. About six months ago, he moved to Fort Worth with his wife, Amanda Williams Bush, who is an attorney at Jackson Walker in Fort Worth.

"My grandfather always said, 'Never ride on your name,' so I'm trying to distinguish myself in business and law," Bush said.

In discussing his grandfather, former President George H.W. Bush, he cited a recent speech in Florida in which the former president shed tears while talking about his son Jeb, the outgoing Florida governor.

"It was an example of the raw emotions in politics," Bush said. "It goes without saying that he is my hero."

Bush said his father, Jeb, is looking forward to private life although he plans to remain active in the Republican Party.

Bush described the political beating Republicans took nationwide and in Dallas County last month as "a wake-up call" for Republicans everywhere.

He attributed the defeat in part to the Democrats' portrayal of Republicans as creators of a "culture of corruption" in Washington, D.C.

"We didn't do a very good job in rebutting that argument," Bush said.

The Iraq war was also pivotal in this year's election results, Bush said, and he predicted that the confirmation of Robert Gates as defense secretary will mark the start of "a new strategy in Iraq."

Even though Republicans won most races in Tarrant County this year, Bush warned that the political shift in Dallas County could move westward quickly, and he urged local Republican activists to work harder on recruiting members.

"Something like this can happen in an election cycle," Bush said.

As a way of attracting more Hispanics, Bush said, Republicans should become more involved with groups such as the Fort Worth Hispanic Chamber of Commerce. Bush is expected to be named a board member of the chamber in January.

During a question-and-answer session after his speech, Cheryl Surber, a local Republican activist, strongly questioned Bush about the president's policy on illegal immigration. Surber, who supported President Bush as an elector for the 2004 presidential election, said many traditional Republican voters didn't support the GOP this year because the party appeared to be too soft on illegal immigration.

"I did not vote for a president and vice president who look the other way on illegal immigration," Surber said.

Bush defended his uncle's support for a guest worker program and insisted it is not, as Surber said, an amnesty program. "I know this is an issue that divides us as Republicans," Bush said.

After the speech, Surber expressed dissatisfaction with Bush's response.

"Their definition of amnesty is a whole lot different from Webster's," she said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Aman Batheja, 817-390-7695 abatheja@star-telegram.com
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"My grandfather always said, 'Never ride on your name,' so I'm trying to distinguish myself in business and law," Bush said.

Quotable quotes...yick!!!
    We are NOT a nation of immigrants!

I swear it seems they are coming out of the Bushes.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

COI,

Dang, you have been on a roll! I'm LMAO everytime I read something you've written.

gofer, if it were only that easy.

Dixie

Banned
    Just the thought of yet another Bush running for political office gags me. Haven't they done enough damage?

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie
    COI,

Dang, you have been on a roll! I'm LMAO everytime I read something you've written.

Dixie
    Dixie, I said the other day I was trying to get everyone in the Christmas spirit. I'm coming up on my 2nd year anniversary so am letting go. We have all been to serious to long, it's the seasons to kick back some. But I sure am having trouble with that cranky Sis

Ah yes - Young Bush. The same one who talks of "his people" when addressing a latino convention.

How perfect for the head of the NAU.
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee

Gofer!!!!!!!
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God

Quote Originally Posted by Charlesoakisland
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie
    COI,

Dixie
    Dixie, I said the other day I was trying to get everyone in the Christmas spirit. I'm coming up on my 2nd year anniversary so am letting go. We have all been to serious to long, it's the seasons to kick back some. But I sure am having trouble with that cranky Sis
    I think she will come around. She's got a bunch of new toys to play with. She's been posting images like there is no tomorrow.

Cheryl Surber, a local Republican activist You go get'm girl!

Dixie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast