Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

George W Bush's biggest disappointment: failure to pass CIR

http://www2.macleans.ca/2010/08/16/how- ... on-reform/

How partisan politics are hurting immigration reform

by John Parisella on Monday, August 16, 2010 7:03pm - 81 Comments

Last October, I had a public conversation with President George W. Bush in Montreal during which I had the privilege of asking him questions about his presidency. When I asked him what was his biggest disappointment, he answered without hesitation it was his failure to enact comprehensive immigration reform. Along with Republican Senator John McCain and the late Democratic Senator Edward Kennedy, he had tried to forge a bipartisan consensus to secure the country’s borders and develop a path to citizenship for anywhere between 12 to 20 million undocumented immigrants. It was in the later stages of the Bush presidency and politics, especially within the Republican party, rendered a consensus on reform impossible. The problem hasn’t disappeared. In fact, it has just gotten worse.

Enter Arizona. The problem along the Arizona border with active Mexican drug cartels soon transformed the debate into one about law and order and border security. The law enacted by Gov. Jan Brewer brought in stringent measures, including giving police a near-universal right right to round up illegal aliens. Just recently, a federal judge upheld most parts of the law, but blocked key provisions that could have led to widespread racial profiling. The battlelines have therefore been drawn between hard line Republicans who want to secure the border above all else and blame Obama for worsening the problem, and Democrats who see obvious political advantages in mobilizing the Latino and progressive voters pushing them to enact reforms.

The polarization is now more intense than ever. Facing a primary challenge from the far right, McCain no longer argues for comprehensive reforms and has joined the hardliners in Arizona. A recent political commercial closes with McCain telling an agent he’ll “complete the danged fenceâ€

but it was one of America's greatest moments.
    because the people spoke up and said "HELL NO" to the elected politicians who thought this was a good thing. we called so many times that the Capitol Hill phone system COLLAPSE. no out going or incoming calls

Comprehensive immigration reform....amnesty. Been there done that and all it got us was 12-20 more illegals. We don't trust our government to stop this.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Deport all illegal aliens

GEORGE W. BUSH: YOU COULD NOT DO IT BECAUSE AMERICANS DO NOT SUPPORT AMNESTY FOR ILLEGAL ALIENS. AND NOW IN 2010, WE DO NOT SUPPORT IT EITHER. JUST ENFORCE CURRENT IMMIGRATION LAWS AND ILLEGALS WILL LEAVE.

He's still trying to push amnesty for his beloved illegal invaders!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I honestly don’t understand how anyone can forgive the deceit and lies of George Bush.

You see…we all knew what to expect from the left/Democrats/Progressives, but George came in praying and saluting and fooled us all.

I have seen a couple of the victims of the Mexican invaders and have read about thousands more. I don’t know but I believe the God Bush claims to pray to frowns upon someone who was so instrumental in unleashing millions of savage drug cartel members and their support groups into a country whose society had and has lived by and under a rule of law for centuries. We were in no way prepared for the barbarism we have seen; and we are in no way prepared for the savage violence we can expect in the future.