Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Gomer Huckabee Picks Up Minuteman Founder Endorsement

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trai ... an_fo.html

COUNCIL BLUFFS, Iowa -- Mike Huckabee, under fire for some of his immigration stands while governor of Arkansas, picked up an endorsement in Council Bluffs, Iowa, from the ultimate illegal immigration opponent: Jim Gilchrist, founder of the Minuteman Project, the group that has roamed the border for the last several years operating effectively as an independent border patrol.

President Bush called the group "vigilantes" two years ago. But Huckabee seemed eager to announce the endorsement, as it came on a day when former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney started running an ad that slams Huckabee for backing a provision that would have allowed the children of illegal immigrants to receive in-state tuition in Arkansas.

"Frankly, Jim I've got to tell you there were times in the early days of the Minutemen I thought what are these guys doing, what are they about," Huckabee said. "I confess I owe you an apology." He said of Gilchrist, "nobody can question his commitment to his country."

Gilchrist, an ally of the candidate who has been most anti-illegal immigration in the GOP field, Colorado Rep. Tom Tancredo, said his endorsement of Huckabee stemmed from the former governor's recent statements on the issue, particularly a plan that Huckabee put out last week that would require illegal immigrants country in the country to go to their country of origin before trying to return. The plan also would build a border fence and increase fines on employers who hire illegal immigrants, similar to proposals offered by some of Huckabee's opponents in the GOP nomination process.

"It was a plan I myself could have written," said Gilchrist, who noted the Huckabee campaign reviewed the proposal with him before it was released.

To say Huckabee and Gilchrist have different tones on how they speak about immigration is an understatement; Gilchrist has used the term "invasion" to describe the increase in illegal immigrants in the country, Huckabee tried to reduce the college bills of their kids, a plan he still defends while proposing nothing of the kind nationally.

But illegal immigration has become to the GOP nomination process what health care is for the Democrats, an issue every candidate must speak about and present a detailed plan for how they would tackle the challenge if elected president. Huckabee yesterday started running an ad saying he would stop illegal immigrants from crossing the border just as Romney dialed up his anti-Huckabee rhetoric on the issue.

Polls in the early states have shown immigration is on the minds of voters in Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina, even though they are not border states. Both Republican and Democratic candidates find themselves constantly asked about the issue.

Republican crowds in particular like the sort of rhetoric Huckabee has adopted on immigration, focusing on making sure illegal immigrants don't enter the country. But the Coalition for Comprehensive Immigration Reform, a group that supports legislation that would create a pathway to citizenship for the estimated 12 million illegal immigrants already here, called Huckabee's plan "reckless, desperate and irresponsible policy" in a statement.
    How could Gilchrist endorse an open borders traitor like Gomer? Gilchrist has lost all credibility in my book.

I'm shocked... Huckabee is a fraud and a liar...

Makes me begin to question the Minutemen organization. Holding up any further contributions until I get to the bottom of this.

Jim Gilchrist is insane.

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Unfortunately I heard on either CNN or MSNBC that the Minutemen were under investigation related to accounting questions; i.e., where's the beef?

There is no way a legitimate anti amnesty group could possibly endorse Huckabee; so I sure do have an uneasy feeling about that organization.

Sounds like the group took a wrong turn somewhere, doesn't it?

That would be really bad.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

There really isn't a Minuteman Project group.

It's just crazy Jim and a a few sidekicks.

Gilchrist, an ally of the candidate who has been most anti-illegal immigration in the GOP field, Colorado Rep. Tom Tancredo, said his endorsement of Huckabee stemmed from the former governor's recent statements on the issue, particularly a plan that Huckabee put out last week that would require illegal immigrants country in the country to go to their country of origin before trying to return.
    Does or did Gilchrist know that Huckabee's plan would require illegals to only leave the country for days, before being allowed to return?! In other words, Huckabee's "plan" is a Mike Pence-like "touchback" amnesty scheme. I'm surprised that Gilchrist would be so naive on this.

Quote Originally Posted by ALIPAC
    Jim Gilchrist is insane.

W
    If he endorses Huckabee, he MUST be insane. Gilchrist must be getting some kind of payoff.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Jim Gilchrist is insane
    DITTO!
    Now I understand why there are two Minutemen organizations.

Just read the Minuteman endorsement of the HUCKAWACKER and his supporters are using NUMBERSUSA candidates rankings as supporting the HUCKAWACKER! If you "digg" the below article his supporters are ranting about support from NumbersUSA. NunbersUSA rank him good for the most part on "promises" and "political stances" but POOR on "PAST ACTIONS IN POLITICAL OFFICE". The HUCHAWACKER BACKERS are "cherry picking" the numbers!

http://www.mikehuckabee.com/?FuseAct...ew&Blog_id=878

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast