Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Good Samaritan Could Face Deportation

http://dailybulletin.com/news/ci_3590664

Man who taped Carrion shooting could face deportation
    Cameraman vows to testify for Carrion family at trial

By Sara A. Carter, Staff Writer
    Inland Valley Daily Bulletin

CHINO - Jose Luis Valdes never imagined that being a good Samaritan could render up past ghosts that he never knew existed, he said.
    Valdes, who videotaped the shooting of an Air Force senior airman by a San Bernardino County sheriff's deputy, is facing a single aggravated assault charge in Florida that could send him to prison for 15 years or lead to his deportation back to Cuba, he said.

The 10-year-old assault charges, which included an accusation of Valdes wielding a gun and threatening two victims, are false, the Chino man said.

"I feel like my life is ruined," he said. "I swear to you I never assaulted anyone in my life, and I believe this is being done so that I won't be able to testify. Even if I'm dead, I will find a way to testify for the Carrion family. I will do whatever it takes to testify. The only person who should serve time is the sheriff that almost took that young man's life."

He denies all the charges against him.

The aggravated assault charge is based on an incident that occurred when Valdes lived in Florida nearly 10 years ago. A warrant was issued for Valdes after an alleged victim accused him of pointing a gun at him and an elderly woman on July 5, 1997 during a dispute over a vandalized car, according to Hialeah police officials and court documents.

The 38-year-old Cuban immigrant, who is free on $17,500 bail, did not attend a hearing held Thursday in Florida, instead Valdes was represented by Maritza Alvarez, his attorney. Prosecutors dropped one of the assault charges because one alleged victim died, Valdes said.

Because the crime involved the use of a gun, Valdes could be deported, Alvarez said Thursday. If the charges are reduced to simple assault it would not happen, she added.

Valdes, who escaped Cuba on a makeshift boat in 1992, said he never imagined that what has happened to him could happen in the United States.

He is in the process of refinancing his home, in Chino, just to cover the financial losses he's incurred since the shooting, he said.

"I'm two months behind on my mortgage," Valdes said. "I've missed work, and the stress on my family is unbelievable."

On Jan. 29, Valdes videotaped the incident in which sheriff's Deputy Ivory J. Webb Jr., 45, shot and injured 21-year-old Elio Carrion, who had recently returned from a tour of duty in Iraq.

Carrion was shot three times by Webb but survived the incident. After being released from the hospital, Carrion returned home, where he is continuing rehabilitation for his injuries.

Valdes visited Carrion at the hospital after the incident, he said.

"It was a very emotional experience," Valdes said. "I feel terrible for the Carrion family, and I would do everything again if I had too."

Carrion, who spoke publicly for the first time in a video taped by his attorney's office on Thursday, said he is having trouble walking.

"My physical therapy continues to progress, and I still have difficulties walking," Carrion said. "I'm sorry I haven't been able to speak publicly, but right now I'm focused on my physical therapy and healing."

The FBI has opened a civil rights case regarding the shooting and is continuing to investigate.

"We are continuing to investigate whether or not Mr. Carrion's civil rights have been violated," said Laura Eimiller, spokeswoman with the FBI.

The night of the shooting, Valdes turned over his original tape to sheriff's investigators.

Shortly after the incident when Valdes went to renew his visa at a local immigration office in Pomona, the assault charges were discovered and he was arrested, Pomona police officials said.

"Valdes claims that this warrant came up as the result of him videotaping the incident," said Frank Gonzalez, spokesman for the Hialeah Police Department. "The fact is there was a warrant for his arrest and when he went to INS the same old warrant showed up. It's just a coincidence." Valdes said he will continue to fight the charges at his trial, which is scheduled for April 24 in Miami.

"I did the right thing," Valdes said. "These assault charges are a story invented by this person. Why would I assault someone? Why would I come out to the public if I was hiding from police? Why was I never arrested until now?"

Sara A. Carter can be reached by e-mail at sara.carter@dailybulletin.com or by phone at (909) 483-8552.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

ovell.......
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)