Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

GOP Candidate's Call for Labor Camp Rebuked

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStor ... SFeeds0312

I FOUND THIS ON THE DRUDGE REPORT THIS MORNING

Republican Candidate's Call for Forced Labor Camp for Immigrants Angers Two GOP Lawmakers
    By JENNIFER TALHELM
    The Associated Press
    WASHINGTON - A Republican gubernatorial candidate's call for creation of a forced labor camp for illegal immigrants drew rebukes Friday from two GOP lawmakers, who labeled it a low point in the immigration debate.

Don Goldwater, nephew of the late Sen. Barry Goldwater, caused an international stir this week when EFE, a Mexican news service, quoted him as saying he wanted to hold undocumented immigrants in camps to use them "as labor in the construction of a wall and to clean the areas of the Arizona desert that they're polluting."

The article described Goldwater's plan as a "concentration camp" for migrants.

Goldwater, a candidate for governor in Arizona, said in a statement Friday that his comments were taken out of context. He said he was calling for a work program for convicted nonviolent felons, similar to "tried and tested, effective and accepted practices" used by state and local jails.

But two Republicans, Arizona Sen. John McCain and Rep. Jim Kolbe, called Goldwater's comments "deeply offensive" and asked state Republicans to reject his candidacy in the Sept. 12 primary.

"That Mr. Goldwater is either unaware of or indifferent to the loaded symbolism, injustice and un-Americanism of his 'plan' to address the many serious issues caused by illegal immigration reveals his flaws as a candidate and a stunning lack of respect for the basic values of a generous and decent society," McCain said in a statement.

Kolbe said that if the comments are true, Goldwater "has demonstrated his complete unworthiness for public office, and I am confident he will be soundly rejected by Republicans from the party of Barry Goldwater, who consistently demonstrated his compassion and respect for all people. This is a sad day in the national debate on immigration policy."

McCain and Kolbe favor a guest-worker program for illegal immigrants.

Goldwater made a similar comment at an April anti-immigration rally.

"Build us that wall now!" Goldwater said, referring to a proposal to add 700 miles of fences along the U.S.-Mexico border. He promised then that if elected, he would put illegal immigrants in a tent city on the border and use their labor to build the wall.

Barry Goldwater, the former Arizona senator, was the Republican presidential nominee in 1964.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
    Equal rights for all, special privileges for none. Thomas Jefferson

"That Mr. Goldwater is either unaware of or indifferent to the loaded symbolism, injustice and un-Americanism of his 'plan' to address the many serious issues caused by illegal immigration reveals his flaws as a candidate and a stunning lack of respect for the basic values of a generous and decent society," McCain said in a statement.
    There's the pot calling the kettle black. Like McCain has any footing to be calling somebody else un-American.

Re: GOP Candidate's Call for Labor Camp Rebuked

Read the disgusting comments from McCain & Kolbe & the rest of the traitorous clowns.

-----Send a short Email to Goldwater showing your support.....
    actionpage@goldwater4governor.org

Quote Originally Posted by Virginiamama
    http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=2112878&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312

I FOUND THIS ON THE DRUDGE REPORT THIS MORNING

Republican Candidate's Call for Forced Labor Camp for Immigrants Angers Two GOP Lawmakers
    By JENNIFER TALHELM
    The Associated Press
    WASHINGTON - A Republican gubernatorial candidate's call for creation of a forced labor camp for illegal immigrants drew rebukes Friday from two GOP lawmakers, who labeled it a low point in the immigration debate.

Don Goldwater, nephew of the late Sen. Barry Goldwater, caused an international stir this week when EFE, a Mexican news service, quoted him as saying he wanted to hold undocumented immigrants in camps to use them "as labor in the construction of a wall and to clean the areas of the Arizona desert that they're polluting."

The article described Goldwater's plan as a "concentration camp" for migrants.

Goldwater, a candidate for governor in Arizona, said in a statement Friday that his comments were taken out of context. He said he was calling for a work program for convicted nonviolent felons, similar to "tried and tested, effective and accepted practices" used by state and local jails.

But two Republicans, Arizona Sen. John McCain and Rep. Jim Kolbe, called Goldwater's comments "deeply offensive" and asked state Republicans to reject his candidacy in the Sept. 12 primary.

Kolbe said that if the comments are true, Goldwater "has demonstrated his complete unworthiness for public office, and I am confident he will be soundly rejected by Republicans from the party of Barry Goldwater, who consistently demonstrated his compassion and respect for all people. This is a sad day in the national debate on immigration policy."

McCain and Kolbe favor a guest-worker program for illegal immigrants.

Goldwater made a similar comment at an April anti-immigration rally.

"Build us that wall now!" Goldwater said, referring to a proposal to add 700 miles of fences along the U.S.-Mexico border. He promised then that if elected, he would put illegal immigrants in a tent city on the border and use their labor to build the wall.

Barry Goldwater, the former Arizona senator, was the Republican presidential nominee in 1964.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

That Mr. Goldwater is either unaware of or indifferent to the loaded symbolism, injustice and un-Americanism of his 'plan' to address the many serious issues caused by illegal immigration reveals his flaws as a candidate and a stunning lack of respect for the basic values of a generous and decent society," McCain said in a statement.
    Mr McCain, the savior of the illegals and their voting block. There is a word for people like McCain and it usually involves money.

I emailed him

If you ask me, Goldwater's plan amounts to TOUGH LOVE...I'd vote for him in a heart beat.
    Keep the spirit of a child alive in your heart, and you can still spy the shadow of a unicorn when walking through the woods.

I heard Goldwater on the Lars Larson radio talk show yesterday and he didn't say anything about a, "forced labor camp." What he said was that illegals convicted of crimes should be put on prison work crews to build a border wall. Prisons oftentimes have prisoners on work crews to do things like mow lawns, etc. This would just be an innovative use of the work crew. It's a similar idea to having people who are convicted of doing graffiti go and clean it up as part of their punishment.

He also said in the interview that he's a Minuteman and has spent time with them on the border. I'm no expert on the guy, but he seemed like a good candidate to me. Based on what I heard, I'd vote for him if I lived in AZ.
    All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke