Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

GOP Candidate's Call for Labor Camp Rebuked

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStor ... SFeeds0312

Republican Candidate's Call for Forced Labor Camp for Immigrants Angers
    Two GOP Lawmakers
    By JENNIFER TALHELM
    The Associated Press

WASHINGTON - A Republican gubernatorial candidate's call for creation of
    a forced labor camp for illegal immigrants drew rebukes Friday from two
    GOP lawmakers, who labeled it a low point in the immigration debate.

Don Goldwater, nephew of the late Sen. Barry Goldwater, caused an
    international stir this week when EFE, a Mexican news service, quoted
    him as saying he wanted to hold undocumented immigrants in camps to use
    them "as labor in the construction of a wall and to clean the areas of
    the Arizona desert that they're polluting."

The article described Goldwater's plan as a "concentration camp" for
    migrants.

Goldwater, a candidate for governor in Arizona, said in a statement
    Friday that his comments were taken out of context. He said he was
    calling for a work program for convicted nonviolent felons, similar to
    "tried and tested, effective and accepted practices" used by state and
    local jails.

But two Republicans, Arizona Sen. John McCain and Rep. Jim Kolbe, called
    Goldwater's comments "deeply offensive" and asked state Republicans to
    reject his candidacy in the Sept. 12 primary.

"That Mr. Goldwater is either unaware of or indifferent to the loaded
    symbolism, injustice and un-Americanism of his 'plan' to address the
    many serious issues caused by illegal immigration reveals his flaws as a
    candidate and a stunning lack of respect for the basic values of a
    generous and decent society," McCain said in a statement.

Kolbe said that if the comments are true, Goldwater "has demonstrated
    his complete unworthiness for public office, and I am confident he will
    be soundly rejected by Republicans from the party of Barry Goldwater,
    who consistently demonstrated his compassion and respect for all people.
    This is a sad day in the national debate on immigration policy."

McCain and Kolbe favor a guest-worker program for illegal immigrants.

Goldwater made a similar comment at an April anti-immigration rally.

"Build us that wall now!" Goldwater said, referring to a proposal to add
    700 miles of fences along the U.S.-Mexico border. He promised then that
    if elected, he would put illegal immigrants in a tent city on the border
    and use their labor to build the wall.

Barry Goldwater, the former Arizona senator, was the Republican
    presidential nominee in 1964.
    It's true I am only one, but I am one. And the fact that I can't do everything will not prevent me from doing what I can do

Edward Everett Hale

California or ground zero of the invasion
    I almost was going to post this in another thread. Has a little more specifics.

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/border/135087

Published: 06.24.2006

Goldwater lambasted for 'tent city' plan
    Candidate's call for entrant camp draws ire of top state Republicans

By Daniel Scarpinato
    ARIZONA DAILY STAR
    Top Arizona Republicans pounced Friday on gubernatorial candidate Don Goldwater's plan to build a "tent city" for illegal immigrants, who would be required to build a fence along the border and clean the desert.

The criticism came from Sen. John McCain and U.S. Reps. Jim Kolbe and Jeff Flake, who have all advocated for a moderate — or "comprehensive" — approach to immigration.

Goldwater's plan apparently incited controversy after the publication of a story by EFE News, a Spanish-language news agency.

Without attribution, the publication equated the tent city to a concentration camp, a comparison Goldwater says he has never made. There's no evidence he has ever used that description.

But his tent plan isn't a new one. He's talked about the idea since announcing his candidacy last fall. He even wrote a letter to President Bush last month advocating the idea.

"Either change the laws or uphold the laws," Goldwater said Friday. "When I go into another country, the minute I set foot in the country, I live by the letter of their laws. We should expect the same."

Goldwater, nephew of longtime Arizona Sen. Barry Goldwater, is seeking the Republican nomination for governor in a four-way race. A poll released in May showed Goldwater as the front-runner, although support for all the candidates was low.

Goldwater says what he has suggested is no different than what's being done by hundreds of correctional organizations throughout the country.
    Under his plan, illegal immigrants would be prosecuted through existing laws and they would serve time in a tented area near the border, cleaning the desert, building a fence and repairing ranches.

Goldwater said that he expects the three Republicans to pull back from their strong accusations.

"We are working with the Republican party to get the full story back to them so they can hopefully clarify their position," he said.
    But McCain, who could not be reached to elaborate on his written statement, used strong language in criticizing the plan.

"That Mr. Goldwater is either unaware of or indifferent to the loaded symbolism, injustice and un-Americanism of his 'plan' to address the many serious issues caused by illegal immigration reveals his flaws as a candidate, and a stunning lack of respect for the basic values of a generous and decent society," McCain said in his release.

McCain also attempted to paint Goldwater as out of touch with his famous uncle's legacy.

"I hope that Arizona Republicans, no matter how passionate they feel about the issue, will not want Barry Goldwater's Republican Party to be associated with such an obviously inappropriate messenger," McCain said.
    Kolbe said: "This is a sad day in the national debate on immigration policy. It is time for all people to renounce such abhorrent ideas and return the debate to a discussion of workable, reasonable and compassionate policy."

Goldwater has become known for tough talk about the border.
    During an April debate, Goldwater said, "Mr. Bush, build this wall now," putting an border spin on Ronald Reagan's famous Berlin Wall speech.

● Contact reporter Daniel Scarpinato at 807-7789 or dscarpinato@azstarnet.com.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

California or ground zero of the invasion
    http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/phoeni ... aily6.html

McCain blasts fellow Republican
    The Business Journal of Phoenix - 12:00 PM MST Mondayby Mike SunnucksThe Business Journal
    Arizona Sen. John McCain has come out against the Republican gubernatorial candidacy of Don Goldwater.

Goldwater -- nephew of late, former U.S. Sen. Barry Goldwater -- favors a hard-line approach to illegal immigration and border security. That includes construction of a border wall and putting some illegal immigrants who are arrested for crimes into work details to help build fences and walls.

McCain issued a statement Friday denouncing Goldwater's call for a border wall and work camps and urged fellow Republicans to take a similar stance.

The senator called Goldwater an "inappropriate messenger" for the GOP on the issue -- a major concern for Arizona's business community.

McCain -- who is eyeing a 2008 White House run -- favors a more moderate immigration approach including a business-backed guest worker program and legal path for some illegals already in the U.S. President Bush also backs that approach.

The Goldwater campaign said Friday it was disappointed that McCain did not contact them before issuing the official denouncement.

McCain could endorse conservative attorney Len Munsil in the September Republican primary for governor. Munsil is the former head of the Center for Arizona Policy, a socially conservative advocacy group and the main supporter of a proposed state ballot question banning gay marriage.

The Republican senator supports that state measure, but opposes a federal constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriages.

Democratic Gov. Janet Napolitano is heavily favored in this year's governor's race against potential Republican challengers such as Munsil, Goldwater and Scottsdale businessman Mike Harris.

Napolitano favors McCain and Bush's immigration and border security efforts despite their partisan differences.

There are 12 million illegal immigrants in the U.S. and Arizona is a top crossing point for Mexican migrants, drug smugglers and other traffickers.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Here's Goldwater's website:

http://www.goldwater4governor.org/

You can go to "click here to add your name" to show you endorse his policy.

What a bunch of morons. Why don't we just do away with all prisons because it will offend criminals?
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    Hmmm, let me see if I got this right. Non-violent American citizens be utilized in work-release programs, but illegal immigrants can't. Things are beginning to make less and less sense to me everyday!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn