Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

GOP Conflicted Over Decision to Freeze Funding on Fence

Updated March 17, 2010

GOP Conflicted Over Decision to Freeze Funding on Virtual Border Fence

FOXNews.com

Though a host of technical glitches has undermined the effectiveness of a virtual fence securing the U.S. border, Republicans who are tough on border security appear conflicted by the Homeland Security Department's decision to divert cash away from the multibillion-dollar program.

Though a host of technical glitches has undermined the effectiveness of a virtual fence securing the U.S. border, Republicans who are tough on border security appear conflicted by the Homeland Security Department's decision to divert cash away from the multibillion-dollar program.

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano announced Tuesday that she will freeze all funds to expand the virtual fence program along the U.S. border with Mexico, Instead, she said, $50 million in stimulus money will be redirected to commercially available security technology, like remote video surveillance and mobile radios, cameras and laptops.

"Not only do we have an obligation to secure our borders, we have a responsibility to do so in the most cost effective way possible," Napolitano said in a press release. "The system of sensors and cameras along the Southwest border known as SBInet has been plagued with cost overruns and missed deadlines."

But some Republicans, including Rep. Harold Rogers of Kentucky, claim Napolitano is scrapping one plan without instituting another.

"I’m all for securing our border, but haphazardly pulling the rug out from underneath SBINet to fund some other unplanned projects suggests were back to throwing money at problems, not relying on strategic decisions on utilizing the taxpayers’ money," said Rogers, ranking member of the House Appropriations subcommittee on homeland security.

"I want to know what she plans to replace the program with," Rogers said in an interview with FoxNews.com on Wednesday. "She stopped this funding without notifying Congress, who appropriates the funds, with what she plans to do."

The virtual fence, unveiled by the Bush administration in November 2005 and known within the government as SBInet, was intended to monitor most of the 2,000-mile southern U.S. border by 2011; it currently covers only a portion of Arizona's boundary with Mexico.

The multibillion-dollar project, built by The Boeing Co., deployed a network of cameras, ground sensors and radar systems designed to let a small number of dispatchers watch the border on a computer monitor, zoom in with cameras to see people crossing and decide whether to send Border Patrol agents to the scene.

But technical glitches and delays have cast doubt on SBInet's effectiveness. The radar system, for example, had trouble distinguishing between vegetation and people when the weather was windy, and the satellite communication system took too long to relay information in the field to a command center.

Two months ago, Napolitano ordered a reassessment of the project. The House Homeland Security Committee will assess the program when it convenes on Thursday, and a GAO report expected later this week will review the cost and feasibility of the project that has so far cost the government $672 million.

William Gheen, president of Americans for Legal Immigration PAC, called the project "as dumb as a virtual prison or virtual fence around the White House."

But some lawmakers say they aren't giving up on the concept, especially in light of escalating drug-related violence along the Mexican border.

Rep. Dan Lungren, R-Calif., who advocates a virtual fence, said he's withholding judgment on Napolitano's decision until he and other Republicans on the committee meet with her early Thursday.

"I am aware of the fact that Boeing has had some difficulties in bringing this program together -- I don't think there's any doubt about that," Lungren said in an interview with FoxNews.com. "If what she is doing is saying we need to take a breath here and look at this, I don’t have a problem with that so long as it is not 'fait accompli.'"

Republican Sen. John McCain, meanwhile, has applauded Napolitano's decision, saying he was pleased that the homeland security secretary "has decided to instead turn to commercial available technology that can be used to immediately secure our border from illegal entries. I have been calling for congressional oversight and administrative action on this issue since it became clear that SBInet was a complete failure."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/03 ... der-fence/
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

We've known that the 'virtual fence' has been a sick joke money grab all along.

Now Napolitano is just stopping the payoffs. She has no intention of doing her job, enforcing our borders, or protecting American citizens from illegal immigration.

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

WHY WOULD ANYONE even suggest contacting Janet Napalitano is a wonder to me. She did EVRYTHING in her power to keep the flood gates of illegals into Arizona , she banrupted the state finacially before she left and soeone here wansts us to call her "hotline". WHY EOULD ANYONE waste their time , If writing and faxing hasnt worked in 20 years why would anyone think its going to work now ? I think it was Einenstein that said " To continue to do the same thing over and over again with the same results in INSANE, its way past letter writing , its time for pitch forks and shovels. the 11th hour past 10 years ago. I live in Az. ( And a leaving soon) and I have to tell you you havent seen a third world country come here. Pitbulls running neighborhoods , daily garage sales on front lawns, 57,000 cars stolen a year in this state. Home invasions are a daily event, this state is now the kidnapping state , No jobs , no unions, nothing is this state except illegals and more are coming regardless of what the propaganda tells you. I have been here 25 years , and I tell you now get out while you still can , THis state is now a banana republic. We have ONE person that has tried to make a difference and that is SHERIFF JOE ARPAIO and Washington and the likes of traitors like Napalitano will politically assianate him before this is all over , then what will be left ? NOTHING BUT A THIRD WORLD COUNTRY RIGHT HERE IN AMERICA. IT IS WAY PAST LETTERS FOLKS .

STORIES

People are going to continue to hear stories of aericans being brutalized by illegals , cause nothing is going to change , 20 years of fighting this issue and things have only gotten worse , the entire southwest is gone , simply gone AZATLAND is here . And we sre suppose to wrtie more letters to people who dont give a tinkers dan about what you think or what is destroying this country.People need to get a grip and know what they are dealing with and it is an entire congress that is corrupt as all of Washinton is. We have no represtation in DC. so why would anyone in their right mind keep writing letters ? This is about globalism and open borders both of which Napalitano is their enforcer. That is why she is head of homeland security because she gave the shadow govt exactly what they wanted here in Az. and now whe will follow that agenda to the rest of the country. Write letters , are ya kidding me?