Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

GOP seeks unity on immigration- at RNC chair meeting in CO

http://www.gazette.com/display.php?id=1317087&secid=1

May 05, 2006

GOP seeks unity on immigration

By ED SEALOVER THE GAZETTE

Republican National Committee Chairman Ken Mehlman urged his party Thursday to unite on illegal immigration and present a unified message by November’s election.

Headlining the first day of the Republican National Committee State Chairmen’s meeting at The Broadmoor hotel in Colorado Springs, Mehlman spoke to both sides of the immigration debate. He said the party must push to beef up border security but also must welcome legal immigrants.

“As Republicans, we believe in a strong defense because we understand that freedom is not free,” Mehlman said. “Well, who shows a stronger commitment to freedom than those who leave everything

and everyone to be part of our American democracy?”

The speech came as GOP representatives in Washington, D.C., and Colorado split over how tough to be on illegals and whether to offer a guest-worker program. The issue has become one of the hottest of the election season.

“We need to get this behind us,” Colorado GOP Chairman Bob Martinez said of the party’s internal differences on the subject. “We need to get the immigration debate constructed in a civil fashion.”

Democrats believe that with President Bush’s approval rating dropping to 34 percent and support for the war in Iraq waning, they can win back many congressional seats. Historically, when a two-term president is midway through his second term, his party suffers in congressional elections.

Democrats have portrayed Republican plans to charge illegal immigrants as felons or build a wall on the border as extremist.

Mehlman said Republicans must find a solution that rises above partisan politics. He noted that 44 percent of Hispanics voted for Bush in 2004 and said immigration issues give the GOP a chance to reach out more to them.

The three-day conference features representatives from 43 states, including 32 state GOP chairmen. Mostly a series of closed-door sessions, it is meant to bring the party leaders together and teach them how to get messages out.

Mehlman exuded confidence in exhorting Republicans to stick to issues and to let the Democrats use Bush’s poll numbers against him. He noted after his speech that Republicans tried to run against President Bill Clinton rather than on ideas in 1998 — and lost five House seats.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

It was the House Dems. that insisted that "felony" be put into HR 4437.

Now they blame the Reps.

I'm sick of politics on both sides, all they do is discuss, debate and more debating...and do nothing !
    Do not vote for Party this year, vote for America and American workers!

Mehlman is a slimy (stupid) opportunist, and will bury the Republicans if they take his advise. I'm forwarding this article to my Representative and my local RNC leader.

“As Republicans, we believe in a strong defense because we understand that freedom is not free,” Mehlman said. “Well, who shows a stronger commitment to freedom than those who leave everything
    and everyone to be part of our American democracy?”
    I guess "freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose after all."

I've been a Democratic voter my whole working life except for helping keep Jim Bunning in the Senate.

I've been for middle class working folks issues primarily. Still am. Since I now see my country being given away, I see the Democrats as disorganized lefties with a large helping of pro-business Demopublicans that prevents any kind view as to what they stand for. There is no plan from them, only holding up dead horses from the past. Clearly they all favor dismantling our sovereign nation for their own gain.

So now I'm an alien in that party needing a place to go. Guess where I found something I can live with?

By James R. Carroll
    jcarroll@courier-journal.com
    The Courier-Journal

During Senate debate last week over illegal immigration, Sen. Jim Bunning, R-Ky., said the unauthorized entry of people across U.S. borders "threatens our national security and our economic security."

He said the nation's first priority should be to secure the borders.

As for undocumented immigrants already here, Bunning reiterated that he opposes amnesty.

Instead, he would back a "program that would require illegal immigrants to return home to their country of origin after a set period of time."

"Once home, these workers could then apply to get on the path to come back here as a temporary resident and maybe even apply for citizenship," Bunning said. But those who took this option would have to "get in line" behind those already following the rules for legal admission to the United States, he said.

Bunning said that with Kentucky so reliant on agricultural industries, "I understand the need for temporary workers."

But a guest worker program "needs to be simple to use for both the employer and the employee."

Senate negotiations over an immigration reform measure broke down at the end of the week.
    OK, I'm all set, vote for men like this? Oh gee, I've become a Republican conservative in this radical enviroment. Well not quite. There's wackos like Jorge Bushbo and McCain in this party. I can't be a Republican either. There goes that plan.

Now what am I gonna do? These people need to become either the conservative Republican party or the Democratic party representing the working middle class again. How about a new fiscally conservative party without right wing religous zealots? I'm watching.
    Unemployment is not working. Deport illegal alien workers now! Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)