Thread: GOP vs Amnesty

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

GOP vs Amnesty

GOP renews 'amnesty' defiance
    By Charles Hurt
    THE WASHINGTON TIMES
    Published January 25, 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Advertisement

House Republicans opposed to amnesty vowed yesterday to fight President Bush's proposal to legalize millions of illegal aliens as outlined in his State of the Union address on Tuesday.
    "The president worked hard to get a Congress that agrees with him on this and now he's got it," said Rep. Tom Tancredo, Colorado Republican, in reference to the Democratic takeover of both chambers of Congress in the November elections. "But we're still going to fight him on it."
    Mr. Bush on Tuesday reissued his call to welcome foreigners with a guest-worker plan, and he called for a path to citizenship for millions of those here illegally.
    "We need to uphold the great tradition of the melting pot that welcomes and assimilates new arrivals," Mr. Bush said in his speech to uneven applause. "We need to resolve the status of the illegal immigrants who are already in our country, without animosity and without amnesty."
    More Democrats than Republicans rose in applause.
    Mr. Tancredo, a longtime advocate of immigration reform, termed the refrain "same song, second verse."
    "It's the same thing we've been hearing from the president for a long time," he said.
    Rep. Sam Johnson, Texas Republican, called Mr. Bush's immigration proposal "empty and implausible."
    "I'm sensing a real lack of commitment to combating illegal immigration," he said.
    Mr. Johnson said he has seen little evidence in Texas that the administration's efforts to stop illegal entry are working.
    "Our borders are out of control," he said yesterday. "Illegal immigrants are running free across the borders."
    Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, Massachusetts Democrat, welcomed "the president's renewed commitment" to comprehensive immigration reform.
    "The president has been a leader on this issue and I am hopeful that he will continue his efforts with members of his party so that we can pass legislation that will solve the problem once and for all," he said after Tuesday's address.
    For House Republicans, Mr. Kennedy's stamp of approval was proof that Mr. Bush does not share their concerns.
    "Once again, we see the president is pushing amnesty," said Rep. Ed Royce, California Republican. "The president claims this is not amnesty, but the very definition of amnesty is changing someone's status from illegal to legal. As a matter of national security, we need an immigration system that is sound, and this one is not."
    As evidence of its stand against illegal entry, the administration has announced raids on businesses that hired illegal aliens.
    "I think they were just for the purposes of rhetoric so the president could say he was doing something," Mr. Tancredo said, adding that he has followed up with those employers and learned that the illegals have been almost entirely replaced with, presumably, legal citizens who had been looking for work.
    "If these raids prove anything, it's that we do not need a guest-worker program," he said.
    Mr. Tancredo said farmers are hiring illegals despite a federal guest-worker program already in place because of the cumbersome requirements to pay certain rates and provide certain living conditions.
    "Why shouldn't they ignore it?" Mr. Tancredo said. "Their own government ignores it."
    He said House Republicans have "lost a lot of momentum" since pushing through a bill last year to construct about 800 miles of fencing along the U.S.-Mexico border.
    "It's back to playing defense, I suppose, but that's a role I've played for six or seven years," he said.
    Mr. Tancredo has announced the formation of a presidential exploratory committee, which he considers a good vehicle to continue his crusade while in the minority party.
    He hopes to pull off a surprise victory on the presidential campaign trail and perhaps with an amnesty bill in the House.
    "There are enough [conservative Democrats] to create a pretty significant problem for the new majority," he said with a broad smile. "A lot of them campaigned on our side of this issue and would have a lot of explaining to do back home."

Copyright © 2007 News World Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
    THE POOR ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT IN MY AVATAR CROSSED OVER THE WRONG BORDER FENCE!!!

Banned
    "The president has been a leader on this issue and I am hopeful that he will continue his efforts with members of his party so that WE CAN PASS LEGISLATION THAT WILL SOLVE THE PROBLEM ONCE AND FOR ALL," he said after Tuesday's address.

Legislation that will solve the problem once and for all? If Kennedy means what he says, then he would be willing to put border security first and to ensure that the border is sealed prior to even discussing amnesty or guest worker programs. He must be held accountable for this statement, and called a liar if he is unwilling to consider such a staged approach.

"'The president has been a leader on this issue and I am hopeful that he will continue his efforts with members of his party so that we can pass legislation that will solve the problem once and for all,' he said after Tuesday's address."

Bad sign. Kennedy agrees whole-heartedly with el presidente.

"'There are enough [conservative Democrats] to create a pretty significant problem for the new majority,' he said with a broad smile. 'A lot of them campaigned on our side of this issue and would have a lot of explaining to do back home.'"

The Blue Dog Dems have done NOTHING to impress me thus far. I don't know if we can count on their help. I hope we can, but I will not hold my breath.

"We need to resolve the status of the illegal immigrants who are already in our country, without animosity and without amnesty."
    ROUND 'EM UP AND DEPORT THEM ALL. PROBLEM "RESOLVED".
    See jorge, that wasn't so tough now was it?

Kennedy should finally let that cut under his nose heal up, permanently!
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

I feel absolutely zero animosity to sending all the illegals home. Imagine that!

Re: GOP vs Amnesty

Quote Originally Posted by TyRANTosaur
    "We need to resolve the status of the illegal immigrants who are already in our country, without animosity and without amnesty."
    Fine, give them a Taco Bell (or Panda Express) lunch on the ride back to their home country. With a big smile!

"The president has been a leader on this issue and I am hopeful that he will continue his efforts with members of his party so that we can pass legislation that will solve the problem once and for all," he said after Tuesday's address.
    Sure Teddy, by eliminating the US that will solve the problem once and for all, you fried brain traitor.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)