Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Gov Henry asked to watch terminology on immigration issue

http://www.newsok.com/article/2964377

By Judy Gibbs Robinson
    Staff Writer
    Because illegal immigration remains a hot issue, Gov. Brad Henry should set an example by using the right terminology, an advisory group said Monday.

The Governor's Advisory Council on Latin American and Hispanic Affairs voted unanimously to ask Henry to cease using the words "illegal immigrant" or "illegal alien" and instead to call those who are here illegally "undocumented immigrants."

"I feel insulted every time when I hear that word 'illegal immigrant,'" said council member Guillermo Rojas of Tulsa.

"And don't use 'alien' either. They're not from outer space," said Arthur Valdez of Oklahoma City.

Henry will continue using the terms "illegal immigration" and "illegal immigrant," Henry's spokesman, Paul Sund said.

"We do not plan to change," Sund said without elaboration.

Terms controversial
    Those fighting immigration prefer the official government term, "illegal aliens," and frequently shorten it to "illegals" -- to the annoyance of many immigration advocates.

"Using the word in this way is grammatically incorrect and crosses the line by criminalizing the person, not the action they are purported to have committed," the National Association of Hispanic Journalists says on its Web site.

In this war of words, one of the key battles is over the meaning of "illegal." While it is against the law to cross the U.S. border without permission, the violation is a civil -- not criminal -- offense.

"They're not illegal. They're not breaking any law," Rojas said.

Giovanni Perry of Norman, the council's acting chairwoman and an immigration lawyer, stopped short of agreeing with that interpretation.

"Obviously if somebody crosses the border without documents then they are breaking the law," she said after the meeting.

To Perry and other Hispanics, the language of the immigration debate is emotionally charged.

"I've heard others say that's just rhetoric and trying to be politically correct. But really, I can't keep the emotions out of the discussion," Perry said.
    Immigration reform should reflect a commitment to enforcement, not reward those who blatantly break the rules. - Rep Dan Boren D-Ok

Nice to see our Democratic Governor stick to his guns.
    Immigration reform should reflect a commitment to enforcement, not reward those who blatantly break the rules. - Rep Dan Boren D-Ok

"I feel insulted every time when I hear that word 'illegal immigrant,'" said council member Guillermo Rojas of Tulsa.
    Hey, I feel insulted every time I hear the word 'undocumented' because it is an outright attempt to undermined the fact that they are in the country illegally and are in fact 'illegal aliens'.

Re: Gov Henry asked to watch terminology on immigration issu

Quote Originally Posted by kniggit
    ...National Association of Hispanic Journalists says on its Web site.
    Ooh...

The "National Association of Hispanic Journalists".

Ooh. I am so scared when Leftwing fanatics make up yet another super-hyphenated group with the sole purpose of making a native born Anglo American like myself feel guilty so I will be sure to vote for higher taxation and more affirmative action.

Ooh. The "National Association of Hispanic Journalists"...

Its good to see the Governor hold his ground but I feel compelled to comment on the good immigration lawyer's understanding of the situation in this nation.

Giovanni Perry of Norman, the council's acting chairwoman and an immigration lawyer, stopped short of agreeing with that interpretation.

"Obviously if somebody crosses the border without documents then they are breaking the law," she said after the meeting.
    Obviously, chairwoman Perry like the majority of Americans and unlike the Mexican nationals, is unaware of the SPP terms that allow "migrants" to traverse the North American Continent before our current administration fully irradicates the United States into the North American Union.
    "Liberty CANNOT be preserved without general knowledge among people" John Adams (August 1765)

Quote Originally Posted by xanadu
    Obviously, chairwoman Perry like the majority of Americans and unlike the Mexican nationals, is unaware of the SPP terms that allow "migrants" to traverse the North American Continent before our current administration fully irradicates the United States into the North American Union.
    And the North American Union will probably "dip into the trough" when it comes to what our Founding Fathers warned about "taxation without representation", with the NAU crooks cynically telling us that our footing the burden with our taxes will "benefit us". This is what the Founding Fathers warned us about the US being turned into a dictatorship.

Re: Gov Henry asked to watch terminology on immigration issu

Those fighting immigration prefer the official government term, "illegal aliens," and frequently shorten it to "illegals" -- to the annoyance of many immigration advocates.

"Using the word in this way is grammatically incorrect
    OK everybody, let's act educated and not use the word "illegals". Instead use the word "invaders", or "foreign invaders". Plus that way nobody will mistake them for space aliens, who apparently are coming here to do the jobs humans won't do.

Nice to see our Democratic Governor stick to his guns.
    KNIGGIT

if you can find the good Gov's email, please post it so that we can send him our KUDDOS.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

couldn't find an email address but there is a link to post him a msg at --> http://www.governor.state.ok.us/contact.php

"Using the word in this way is grammatically incorrect and crosses the line by criminalizing the person, not the action they are purported to have committed,"
    I think the word Dog is looking for is 'semantically' & not 'grammatically.'
    I guess they don't teach about adjectives & adverbs in Revolution for
    Jouranlists 101.

And if it wasn't so sad, I would just laugh at these people & the
    transparency of the discussion. I can have more rational discussions
    with my teenagers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast