Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Graham Wins Against Anti-Illegal Immigration Candidate

Graham wins GOP primary
    Published Tue, Jun 10, 2008 8:22 PM
    COLUMBIA -- U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham looked like he would fend off a Republican challenge during primary elections Tuesday that tested what South Carolinians thought about his strong ties to John McCain and their work on a failed illegal immigration measure.

Challenger Buddy Witherspoon, a retired orthodontist and former Republican National Committee member, criticized the one-term incumbent as too liberal for this conservative state. Graham even took heat on the immigration reform from the Democratic side of the ballot; two newcomers to state politics were seeking their party's nod for the seat Tuesday.

With 17 percent of precincts reporting, Graham had 71 percent of the vote, compared with 29 percent for Witherspoon. Graham has a dominating war chest and name recognition and few observers believed his re-election bid was in danger. McCain, after all, did win the January primary here and Graham has used his endorsement in television ads.

"My re-election, I think, will benefit South Carolina because if he gets to be president, South Carolina's interests will have a receptive audience due to our relationship," Graham told The Associated Press in a recent interview. "I want to help him do the hard things."

It's a description that fits the immigration measure, which would have provided a path to citizenship. At the state GOP convention a year ago, the crowd booed and shouted "No" at Graham's explanations of the bill. He became the butt of criticism from conservatives and Rush Limbaugh labeled the proposal "Grahamnesty."

But Graham has a huge financial advantage over all comers. His most recent filing showed he spent $3.2 million through May 21 and had $4.5 million on hand. Witherspoon had spent $211,356 and had $94,484 on hand after borrowing $220,000 to run his campaign.

Graham, 52, is an Air Force Reserve colonel and has served in Iraq as the only uniformed member of the U.S. Senate.

The lawyer grew was born in Seneca and grew up watching his parents run a restaurant, pool hall and liquor store. When they died 15 months apart as he finished his degree at the University of South Carolina, he adopted his younger sister Darline when she was 13.

Witherspoon, a 69-year-old Navy veteran, characterizes himself as a devout Christian who opposes abortion and gay marriage and knocks Graham for being "joined at the hip" with McCain. He says he's playing the role of David vs. Goliath in the race, and wants to severely crack down on businesses that knowingly hire illegal workers.

Glenn Muskovin, a retired construction worker who lives in Columbia, said he voted for Graham even though he doesn't always agree with the senator.

"I think he votes in our best interest, to take care of our troops and needing an actual immigration law instead of the way it is right now. He hasn't wavered like a lot of politicians," said Muskovin, 52.

In Florence, Jamie Devane said he voted for Witherspoon, but called it a vote against Graham and the illegal immigration proposal. "I just think it's time to kick the people out who aren't supposed to be here," said Devane, 44.

http://www.beaufortgazette.com/developi ... 62598.html

Could this be a result of voter fraud? It is hard to believe.

boo hoo

-------------------------------------------------

www.revolutionmarch.com

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Lxcq8fGY9w

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    Suck it Down South Carolina... you will regret your vote for this man
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

You just can't count on the voters to do the right thing....they haven't a clue!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

I fear weve lost SC to the left.As with most the country.

After his deplorable behavior during the immigration reform bill last year, you have to wonder HOW he could win.

But then again we wonder HOW McCain is the presidential candidate and people in Mass. seem to wonder HOW Kennedy always wins when no one knows anyone who voted for him.

These are strange and disturbing mysteries, I guess.

I bet no one in South Carolina knows anyone who voted for Graham either.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

But Graham has a huge financial advantage over all comers. His most recent filing showed he spent $3.2 million through May 21 and had $4.5 million on hand.
    Yet another election bought and paid for. He who has the most and biggest wins the game. Disgusting!

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyCountry
    I fear weve lost SC to the left.As with most the country.
    I know! They are starting to act like them Yanks.

Dixie

3.2 million vs $211,000

Graham spent over fifteen times the amount Witherspoon spent!

Witherspoon spent 7 thousand dollars for each percentage point of the vote he received.

Graham had to spend $45,000 for each percentage point he received.

It appears Whitherspoon could have beaten Graham with much less money, but just not the super small amount he had compared to Graham.

The price tags on US Senate seats and the Presidency have removed the chances of winning so far away from the Average American, it allows the elite financial interests control.

W

The 33% of the vote that Witherspoon received is not bad for a protest vote, especially as he was vastly outspent and didn't have the name recognition of Graham. This illustrates how difficult it is to defeat an incumbent in a Senate primary.

But at least Governor Sanford did the right thing for SC and signed the illegal immigration bill.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast