Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Graham's Dem challenger was SC county GOP official

Politics is a Wicked Game Dixie

Jun. 20, 2008
    Graham's Dem challenger was SC county GOP official
    By JIM DAVENPORTAssociated Press Writer

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- The man running a longshot Democratic campaign against South Carolina GOP Sen. Lindsey Graham was on his county Republican Party's roster until just before he won his primary election this month.

Bob Conley, 42, an engineer from North Myrtle Beach, had acknowledged some past involvement in the Republican Party, including an ill-fated run for the Indiana Legislature in 2000.

In May, during his primary campaign, Conley told The Associated Press that he had voted for Republican Ron Paul in the January presidential primary but had walked away from the GOP in 2000 or 2001.

"And it was because of trade, it was because of immigration, it was because of the sellout of the American worker and the sellout of American sovereignty for the benefit of the multinational corporations," he said. "I walked away and said that party can go to the devil."

But Conley didn't leave the GOP when he claimed he did. Republican Party officials in Horry County in South Carolina said Friday that Conley won a spot on the county Republican Party's executive committee, representing a North Myrtle Beach precinct, in February 2007.

Conley campaign vice chairman Lee Griggs said Conley left the GOP about eight years ago to become involved with the Reform Party. He came back to the GOP to advocate for Paul's campaign and resigned his local GOP position in February of this year.

"To my understanding, he was not a member of the Republican Party," Griggs said.

County Republicans where Conley lives say they found out that he planned to take on Graham, one of the Republican Party's most well-known national standard-bearers, shortly before the June 10 primary. North Myrtle Beach GOP Club president Cleo Steele said Conley was removed from his executive committee post within the past month.

Conley's name remained on the Horry County GOP's Web site as an executive committee member Friday morning.

Robert Rabon, the county party's chairman, said Conley technically left the GOP when he paid filing fees to campaign as a Democrat. Those papers include a pledge that the person running is indeed a Democrat.

"That's a way of resignation," said Rabon, who accused Conley of "grandstanding to get some media attention."

Conley's candidacy and party affiliations are now an issue for Democrats.

Waring Howe, a Democratic National Committee member and superdelegate, said Conley's recent GOP ties should have been fully disclosed. He needs "to be very forthright and open with the voters whose trust he sought," Howe said.

Conley "is not really regarded as a very serious candidate," Howe said. "He's going to have to show a greater effort to appeal to the Democratic base and raise funds and show general seriousness for Democrats to line up behind him in any serious way."

Conley beat Mount Pleasant lawyer Michael Cone by 1,058 votes out of more than 147,000 ballots cast last week. After he lost, Cone said he knew of Conley's Republican ties and should have raised them as an issue.

State Democratic and Republican party officials said Conley hasn't voted in a Democratic primary since 2002. State GOP spokesman Rob Godfrey said Conley voted in the 2004 Republican primary. South Carolina does not use political party registrations, so voters are free to choose which party's primary gets their votes.

http://www.star-telegram.com/464/story/713333.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Very very interesting and possibly good for us!

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Hmmmmm

"And it was because of trade, it was because of immigration, it was because of the sellout of the American worker and the sellout of American sovereignty for the benefit of the multinational corporations," he said. "I walked away and said that party can go to the devil."
    Hits the nail on the head. This guy should be President.

Actually came across this guy yesterday from a link off the American Conservative:

[quote]Bob Conley is a virtual unknown who defeated an establishment candidate supported by the usual coterie of party insiders and special interest groups. The primary victory was narrow (1,058 votes) and the turnout was very low (only 17%), but nonetheless Conley, a conservative, observant Catholic from a blue-collar background, will be his party’s candidate for the U.S. Senate come November—as a Democrat.

“Flattop Bob,â€
    "We have decided man doesn't need a backbone any more; to have one is old-fashioned. Someday we're going to slip it back on." - William Faulkner

I met Bob Conley in March at our Statehouse. He was one of the candidates speaking that day. He also called me up two weeks before our primary asking me to campaign with him. Buddy Witherspoon was my choice but I told Bob that I would reconsider if Buddy lost the primary, which he did.
    If you want to find out more about his campaign go to http://aimhighwithbob.com/. He has some fresh ideas for a Democrat and is worth taking a look at.

I think Conley has a good shot at winning Grahams seat.Wouldn't that be sweet.
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

GOD, I would love to see someone like this take Grahams seat......as long as he is being truthful about his positions.

Graham needs to be booted out it would send a great message! the traitor.
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)