Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Gregg hasn't taken position on immigration reform bill

Gregg hasn't taken position on immigration reform bill
    By SCOTT BROOKS
    New Hampshire Union Leader Staff
    June 6, 2007

Sen. Judd Gregg has yet to take a position on the Senate's controversial immigration reform package, even as debate on the bill comes to a head today on the Senate floor.

A spokesman yesterday said Gregg "continues to consider" the legislation, which would create a path to citizenship for the estimated 12 million illegal immigrants living in the U.S.

"He won't be making a decision on the final package until he sees what happens with the remaining amendments," spokesman Erin Rath said yesterday.

The Senate is expected to vote today on a motion that would cut off debate on the bill.

Gregg has called himself a strong supporter of immigration reform. Last month, in a statement on the Senate floor, he said he supports the Senate proposal "in concept, although I still want to see how it will end up in detail."

Opponents of the bill have pressured Gregg to take their side. Merrimack Republican Bob Bevill, who heads the conservative New Hampshire Eagle Forum, has urged them to direct their pleas to Gregg's office.

"Seventy six percent of Americans do not want amnesty, and Sen. Gregg has not made up his mind," Bevill said yesterday. "We want him to know that his constituents have made up their minds."

Rep. Tom Tancredo, a Republican Presidential candidate from Colorado, took aim at Gregg at a press conference outside the senator's Manchester office Tuesday.

Tancredo, who is running on an anti-immigration platform, used the occasion to launch his "Save America Campaign," asking citizens to petition Gregg and other Republican senators to vote against the immigration reform package.

The petitions ask New Hampshire residents to "actively campaign against" Gregg in the next election if he votes to pass the bill.

In a prepared response, Gregg accused Tancredo of aligning himself with politicians "who are using a jingoistic and demagogic approach of opposition to immigrants as a way to raise their own political visibility."

The senator said Tancredo is part of a "new 'know nothing' wing of the political spectrum," a reference to the anti-immigrant "Know Nothing" party that rose to prominence in the 1850s.

"There are, unfortunately, people who wish to bury their heads in the sand by ignoring the threat our present dysfunctional system represents to our country," Gregg said. "These politicians are not constructive players to the process of working toward solving one of America's most pressing and critical problems."

Gregg called the Senate bill a "sincere attempt" to address an "out-of-control immigration situation" in the U.S.

He said he hopes the bill will be amended and improved "in a manner that will give us full control of the borders and a logical approach to a guest worker and immigration program."

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx ... f5b9efb966
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Banned
    Well, Greg is going to get a few calls don't ya think?

Well, we can all see where Sellout Senator Gregg is on this bill. He favors it and is looking for a way to get it passed.

His comments about Tancredo were a personal attack. Same old OBL attack the messenger routine.

I smell OBL all over Senator Gregg.

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by ALIPAC
    Well, we can all see where Sellout Senator Gregg is on this bill. He favors it and is looking for a way to get it passed.

His comments about Tancredo were a personal attack. Same old OBL attack the messenger routine.

I smell OBL all over Senator Gregg.

W
    I have been focusing on Gregg and last night alone I lost track of how many messages I left on his voicemail...it still was not full...if anyone would like to help fill his mailbox that would be great! I'm sure they know my voice by now!
    <div>GOD - FAMILY - COUNTRY</div>