Group of migrants found crammed in the back of a lorry in east London

HANNAH AL-OTHMAN 8 hours ago

Stopped: police found eleven people inside Tom Andrews/SWNS.com

A group of eleven migrants were found crammed in the back of a lorry when it was stopped by police in east London.

Officers discovered the eight adults and three children inside the vehicle after they were called to reports of banging from inside.

The driver of the lorry had pulled up in Ashton Road, Harold Hill to ask for directions at about 11.30am yesterday.

Dan Attroll, who works on Ashton Road, told the Romford Recorder he had called the police after hearing banging from inside.

He said: “I went to speak to the driver about where he had parked and the next thing I heard was bang, bang, bang.

“We then heard people screaming and shouting inside which was when I rang the police.

“The driver seemed genuinely gobsmacked that anyone was in his truck.”

Migrants: witnesses were reportedly told the men, women, and children had come from Iraq
(Tom Andrews/SWNS.com)

The eight men and women were arrested on suspicion of illegal entry into the UK, while the children were taken into police protection.

The lorry, which appears to have Austrian branding, is thought to have travelled from Belgium.

The migrants reportedly told witnesses that they were from Iraq.

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said Havering Police were called after receiving reports of banging came from the back of a lorry in Ashton Road.

Group of migrants found crammed in the back of a lorry in east London