Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Growing number of English learners in county

Growing number of English learners in county threatens pass-rate progress

By Chris Moran
    STAFF WRITER

October 14, 2008

Local schools are enrolling a growing number of students who don't speak English – students who typically fare poorly on standardized tests – at a time when the federal No Child Left Behind Act calls for unprecedented test score gains.

Nearly 123,000 students in San Diego County public schools are classified as English learners, up from nearly 116,000 two years ago. The increase would be enough to fill three large high schools or every classroom in the Ramona Unified School District, making the federal goal of a 100-percent pass rate in math and reading in five years almost impossible, educators say.

“Every district at some point is not going to be able to meet the requirements of No Child Left Behind because of the contradiction,â€
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

My son says you cannot understand this one child at all in his classes. It gets on his nerves; and this same child slides down in his seat and the whole class has to do extra school work because of piss poor behavior. Send this child to detention don't punish all good American children. This non English speaking child gets put into my son's group and my 6th grade son has to make sure this child is getting his work done. What the heck? And my son just got his first six week grades and one of the teacher's comment was that my son next to double check his work. PLEASE!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

It's past time to revisit Plyler vs Doe.

Wasn't there a clause in that case that it could be revisited if it caused harm to the states? All we need to do is look at the difference between educating illegal aliens in 1982 vs today. Ou education system has DEFINITELY been harmed.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

There's no consensus on what's behind the spike

It's California........one of the final frontiers for IAs to flee to in order to evade law enforcement.

That's the reason for this "spike"

Quote Originally Posted by miguelina
    It's past time to revisit Plyler vs Doe.

Wasn't there a clause in that case that it could be revisited if it caused harm to the states? All we need to do is look at the difference between educating illegal aliens in 1982 vs today. Ou education system has DEFINITELY been harmed.

I have heard something similar Miguelina so believe that you are correct.

Also, I recall reading something about the decision only being intended to apply up until such time as....if or when.....amnesty was granted under the Reagan administration.

As far as I know, the court's decision was NEVER intended to apply indefinitely nor promote activity that would prove detrimental to our educational system and that this is just something else that has been used and abused by the pro-illegal advocacy who have twisted it to suit their purposes.

Been doing some checking into this:

501 F.Supp. at 583. And, after reviewing the State's school financing mechanism, the District Court in No. 80-1538 concluded that barring undocumented children from local schools would not necessarily improve the quality of education provided in those schools. 458 F.Supp. at 577. Of course, even if improvement in the quality of education were a likely result of barring some number of children from the schools of the State, the State must support its selection of this group as the appropriate target for exclusion. In terms of educational cost and need, however, undocumented children are "basically indistinguishable" from legally resident alien children. Id. at 589; 501 F.Supp. at 583, and n. 104.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/h ... 02_ZO.html
    How about the"No Child Left Behind"? Excluding illegal aliens would CERTAINLY improve the quality of American kids education.

How's this for support? The number of NON-ENGLISH speakers has skyrocketed since 1977/1982!!! Money is being diverted from LEGAL childrens educations and put into programs for illegal aliens!

I also thought this case dealt only with ELEMENTARY EDUCATION, not secondary education? After all, any 16 year old can quit high school.

This needs to be revisited.
    "

Quote Originally Posted by miguelina
    Been doing some checking into this:

501 F.Supp. at 583. And, after reviewing the State's school financing mechanism, the District Court in No. 80-1538 concluded that barring undocumented children from local schools would not necessarily improve the quality of education provided in those schools. 458 F.Supp. at 577. Of course, even if improvement in the quality of education were a likely result of barring some number of children from the schools of the State, the State must support its selection of this group as the appropriate target for exclusion. In terms of educational cost and need, however, undocumented children are "basically indistinguishable" from legally resident alien children. Id. at 589; 501 F.Supp. at 583, and n. 104.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/h ... 02_ZO.html
    How about the"No Child Left Behind"? Excluding illegal aliens would CERTAINLY improve the quality of American kids education.

How's this for support? The number of NON-ENGLISH speakers has skyrocketed since 1977/1982!!! Money is being diverted from LEGAL childrens educations and put into programs for illegal aliens!

I also thought this case dealt only with ELEMENTARY EDUCATION, not secondary education? After all, any 16 year old can quit high school.

This needs to be revisited.

I absolutely agree because, at this point in time, this decision is grossly outdated and cannot be applied any longer.

Now, the big question is.....how do We The Peeps file suit and have it overturned?