Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

Guatemala Protests Arrest of 3 in Florida Over Passports

Guatemala Protests Arrest of 3 in Florida Over Passports
    JULIA PRESTON
    Published: January 18, 2010

The Guatemalan government has issued a public protest after three Guatemalans were arrested this month by immigration agents at a Federal Express office in Florida, when one of the immigrants went to pick up a package containing his newly issued Guatemalan passport.

Suspecting that the passport was fraudulent, Federal Express officials called Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents to alert them when the Guatemalans arrived to collect the package, officials of the immigration agency said. Two of the Guatemalans were illegal immigrants who have been deported, and one is in deportation proceedings.

Guatemalan diplomats said that Federal Express and American officials had examined and seized legitimate passports without notifying them and had improperly disrupted their dealings with Guatemalan citizens living in this country. Felipe Alejos, the Guatemalan consul in Miami, said the events appeared to violate basic diplomatic protocols.

“They seized official documents, and they did not let us know,â€
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

[quote]Document fraud poses a severe threat to national security and public safety,â€
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

[quote="uniteasone"][quote]Document fraud poses a severe threat to national security and public safety,â€
    ...I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid...

William Barret Travis
    Letter From The Alamo Feb 24, 1836

Ironically,all three were illegal invaders. Imagine that! Now we have The Guatemalan government protesting because three potential, remittance cash cows have been deported!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by NoBueno
    Now we have The Guatemalan government protesting
    They saw that it seems to work for Mexico so why not.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

IMMIGRATION REFORM IN GUATEMALA, NOT USA

Guatemala is one of the trashiest, violent, corrupt medieval cultures I have ever experienced. Their codes for violating immigration is horrible. They shut you up in a tiny rat-shack building hidden deep in Guatemala city Zona 4 slums, and nobody knows about you.

They are the ones who need imigration reform, godamn Mod Edit

“When people in the community perceive that FedEx acted as an agent for immigration, it undermines their belief that they can collect their mail and trust in their government,"

Their government is in Guatemala! This is OUR government, dufus, designed to protect the country from illegals (sort of...)

Welcome to ALIPAC ORKSLAYER999
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

GUATEMALA NOT ALLOWING LEGAL IMMIGRATION TO AMERICANS

OK, check this out...I lived in Guatemala 15 yrs, and near the end I applied for legal citizenship, but after paying all that money...they told me..

"Well, the USA is giving Guatemalans a hard time in the immigration, so we are not granting visas at this time."

Even the American embassy was warning us in early 2006.

They are demanding a double standard (to treat illegals legally), when they won't even treat legals legally. Get it?!!

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar
    Posted on Tuesday, 01.19.10
    Guatemala angry over seized passports, detentions

By AP Hispanic Affairs Writer

MIAMI -- The Guatemalan government claims U.S. immigration officials improperly seized Guatemalan passports issued to its citizens in the U.S. and detained three people who went to a Florida FedEx store to pick them up.

FedEx employees at a Palm Beach County store contacted Immigration and Customs Enforcement special agents Jan. 6 after they received about 40 packages, most of them undeliverable, from a Louisiana-based company. The employees, who had opened at least one of the envelopes, said the packages appeared to contain Guatemalan passports that could have been fraudulent.

The passports were official. But ICE officials took the passports and waited till Jan. 11 to contact the Guatemalan government, returning the documents after Guatemalan Consul General in Miami, Felipe Alejos Lorenzana, and an attorney complained.

Meanwhile, on Jan. 6, FedEx employees also contacted two of the men whose names were listed on the packages. When the men came to pick up their documents, they were detained by ICE officials and deported because they were in the U.S. illegally. A woman who accompanied the men and was waiting outside for them in a van with her 2-year-old son was also detained and now faces deportation proceedings.

"They didn't follow any of the right diplomatic proceedings to identify whether (the documents) were fraudulent or not," Alejos said Thursday. He said the consulate was first contacted about the incident by a local community group. He now worries Guatemalans won't renew their passports for fear of being detained by ICE.

ICE officials did not explain the delay in contacting the Guatemalan government.

Agency spokeswoman Nicole Navas said in a statement that ICE held onto the passports: "pending verification that the shipper was a contractor with the Guatemalan government in producing passports and to verify the passports were legitimate."

She said document fraud poses a severe threat to national security and public safety because it "may enable terrorists, criminals, and illegal aliens to gain entry to and remain in the United States."

Alejos said the company that sent the documents has contracted with the Guatemalan government for more than eight years, providing thousands of passports each month to Guatemalans in the U.S. He said the consulate has canceled all contracts with FedEx.

FedEx officials said Tuesday that they had repeatedly and unsuccessfully tried to reach the company that sent the passports before opening the undeliverable packages. FedEx said some individuals had been contacted before the Jan. 6 incident and had successfully picked up their passports.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/florida ... 34269.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast