Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Gutierrez says U.S. can use immigration to its advantage

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/ne ... 164942.htm

Posted on Mon, Jul. 31, 2006

Gutierrez says U.S. can use immigration to its advantage

JOE BIESK
    Associated Press

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - America could bolster its economy by enacting immigration laws that would allow temporary worker status to those already living in the United States illegally, the U.S. commerce secretary said Monday.

There already are a number of jobs nationwide going unfilled because American citizens either aren't available or don't want them, Secretary Carlos Gutierrez said. Foreign workers could fill those jobs, strengthening the economy, Gutierrez said.

"Immigration is probably the domestic social issue of our time," Gutierrez said. "And a very important part of how we go forward and how we're going to manage our economy in the future, and what we do today will have a significant impact on our country, on our economy in 10, 20, 30 years."

Gutierrez was in Louisville to address an annual meeting of the Southern Legislative Conference. The organization represents 16 southern states and is part of the Council of State Governments.

A native of Cuba, Gutierrez said the United State could use its experience in handling immigrants to assimilate them into the work force.

Countries such as Germany, Japan and China are facing future population declines, and are using immigration as a way to fill jobs and maintain their economies, he said. The U.S. "can stand out from the past" by doing a better job with immigration than its global competitors, Gutierrez said.

"We have the advantage that we have dealt with immigration for over 230 years and we should be able to deal with this wave of immigration in a very successful and effective manner as we have done in the past," Gutierrez said.

There are an estimated 12 million immigrants illegally living in America.

President Bush has urged Congress to enact a temporary worker program that would allow some to remain. His plan also calls for states to voluntarily send up to 6,000 National Guard troops to the Mexican border to help stem the flow of illegal immigrants entering the country.

Kentucky has committed to sending up to 670 National Guard troops to the U.S.-Mexican border this summer, primarily to work on roads and fencing.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Immigration is probably the domestic social issue of our time," Gutierrez said. "And a very important part of how we go forward and how we're going to manage our economy in the future, and what we do today will have a significant impact on our country, on our economy in 10, 20, 30 years."
    Were you paying attention to that statement Gutierrez? We are at the immigration problem today BECAUSE of what we did "yesterday".
    All you are requesting us to do is repeat the same mistake.

I cannot stand this guy. He is one of the biggest snakes in the nest.
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

Immigration policy is supposed to be designed for the benefit of it's citizens not wealthy special interests and ethnocentric power blocks.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

California or ground zero of the invasion
    http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbc ... S/60731031

UPDATED: 3:04 PM
    Commerce Secretary stumps in Louisville for immigration reform
    By Wayne Tompkins
    wtompkins@courier-journal.com
    The Courier-Journal

U.S. Secretary of Commerce Carlos Gutierrez pitched his boss’s immigration reform plan to a group of Southern state legislators meeting in Louisville on Monday.

Gutierrez, who himself emigrated from Cuba as a boy, acknowledged the deep emotions the issue of immigration invokes, but said a rational approach is the only solution.

“Deporting 12 million individuals wouldn’t be wise, practical or humane,” he said, citing the estimated numbers of undocumented workers in the country.

The administration also rejects “the other extreme” of blanket amnesty as a solution, Gutierrez told the Southern Legislative Conference.

The Bush plan calls for “a hard-earned path” to legalization, which would include paying a fine, learning English, a criminal background check and proof of employment.

Gutierrez said immigrants are needed to fill jobs in the U.S. economy. The President has proposed a guest worker program in which those workers are issued a biometric identification card.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Countries such as Germany, Japan and China are facing future population declines, and are using immigration as a way to fill jobs and maintain their economies, he said. The U.S. "can stand out from the past" by doing a better job with immigration than its global competitors, Gutierrez said.
    Mr Gutierrez is suggesting that we give up America, our culture and our way of life for a dollar. How dare you Mr Gutierrez! Your value of America is obviously not what mine is. It seems to be only what she can provide for you or our illegal immigrants! You measure her worth in monetary value. Just shows what many immigrants - legal or otherwise do not understand about being American! It also shows what a house of cards our economy must be. If we have to depend on immigration that much, illegal or otherwise, to prop up our economy then we are in trouble suggesting that the economy is not as stable as our government would have us believe. In addition it makes not the people important to America but the economy itself that can be driven by people that can come from anywhere. Sounds like a slave mentality to me and not that of free people!

It is a land of opportunity but that opportunity has not and does not come cheap. It also is not something to be trivialized by suggesting that my fellow American citizens or I are not important to what America is.
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee

MW
    America could bolster its economy by enacting immigration laws that would allow temporary worker status to those already living in the United States illegally, the U.S. commerce secretary said Monday.
    Another Bush mouth piece flapping his gums!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Looks like another fix is needed. For anyone who is curious, the originals are what was reported. The tweaks I do are my way of venting/calling it like I see it.

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - America could bolster its economy by enacting immigration laws that would allow temporary worker status to those already living in the United States illegally, the U.S. commerce secretary said Monday.

There already are a number of jobs nationwide going unfilled because American citizens either aren't available or don't want them though I'm ignoring evidence to the contrary, Secretary Carlos Gutierrez said. Illegal Foreign workers could fill those jobs, strengthening the economy, Gutierrez said.

" Illegal Immigration is probably the domestic social issue of our time," Gutierrez said. "And a very important part of how we go forward and how we're going to manage our economy in the future, and what we do today will have a significant impact on our country, on our economy in 10, 20, 30 years and I need to take a course in economics because I have no idea of what I'm talking about."

Gutierrez was in Louisville to address an annual meeting of the Southern Legislative Conference. The organization represents 16 southern states and is part of the Council of State Governments.

A native of Cuba, Gutierrez said the United State could use its lack of experience in handling illegal immigrants to shove (substituted "assimilate") them into the work force.

Countries such as Germany, Japan and China are facing future population declines, and are using immigration as a way to fill jobs and maintain their economies even though they are still going under, he said. The U.S. "can stand out from the past" by doing a better job with illegal immigration than its global competitors, Gutierrez said.

"We have the advantage that we have dealt with immigration for over 230 years despite the fact that the country didn't even exist until 230 years ago, the Constitution didn't exist until 220 years ago, and the Fourteenth Amendment wasn't even proposed until until 112 years ago and we should be able to deal with this wave of illegal immigration in a very successful and effective manner as we have done in the past which was granting amnesty and ignoring the problem," Gutierrez said.

There are an estimated 12 million immigrants illegally living in America and counting.

President Bush has urged Congress to enact a temporary worker program that would allow some to remain. His plan also calls for states to voluntarily send up to 6,000 National Guard troops to the Mexican border to help stem the flow of illegal immigrants entering the country.

Kentucky has committed to sending up to 670 National Guard troops to the U.S.-Mexican border this summer, primarily to work on roads and fencing.
    Ok, I feel better now. Thank you for your patience with me.
    I don't care what you call me, so long as you call me AMERICAN.

There already are a number of jobs nationwide going unfilled because American citizens either aren't available or don't want them, Secretary Carlos Gutierrez said. Foreign workers could fill those jobs, strengthening the economy, Gutierrez said
    His remarks reflect his attitude while bending to the rich. Never mind our laws, because, our leaders turn their heads while plotting treasonous acts in their think tanks. Think again, Carl.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)