Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Half of all U.S. babies now minorities

Half of all U.S. babies now minorities
    kold.com
    By Som Lisaius
    Posted: Aug 25, 2011 7:52 PM EDT
    Updated: Aug 25, 2011 8:11 PM EDT

TUCSON, AZ (KOLD) - For the first time, minorities will make up a majority of babies in the United States. New census numbers say only 50.2 percent of babies under age 1 are non-Hispanic whites.

And researchers say that's probably dipped below 50 since the census was taken last year. KOLD News 13 takes a closer look by discussing the issue with local parents.

Something very significant is happening across our country right now.

So significant, it's ultimately going to change our perception of the word minority.

That's because, for the first time in U.S. history, only half of the babies born in the United States are white.

The other half are ethnic and racial minorities.

"I'm not surprised about that," says Christeen Bates, aTucson mother of two. "There's lot of people coming over here from different countries and starting families, so it doesn't surprise me at all."

Bates' friend Melissa Gomes agrees. "This person's this color--this person's this color, we all get along just fine," Gomes says. "I don't even see it as an issue anymore."

Located along the U.S/Mexico border, the news in Arizona isn't nearly as surprising as it other parts of the country.

Like in Florida and Nevada where whites are now the minority among those younger than 38.

Just ten years ago whites were a dominant majority in virtually every age group in both states.

Today, Arizona is one of 12 states and the District of Columbia with white populations below 50 percent among children under age 5.

"I believe there's a lot of different backgrounds, different people coming from all over the world."

That's coming from somebody who meets a lot of new people every day.

Emma Holland is owner of Rockin' Babies Upscale Resale near Ina Road and Thornydale.

Living in Southern Arizona, she sees families from different backgrounds and different races all the time.

Even though she doesn't speak very much Spanish...

"Muy pequito," she says. "And I learned that in retail."

She's just happy she lives in a world where friendliness and customer service mean a lot more than the color your skin.

"I think it's wonderful that anybody and everybody can come into this store and shop and be part of an environment that's friendly to everybody," Holland says.

Obviously illegal immigration has some bearing on these numbers. According to the Pew Hispanic Center, at least 350,000 children were born in the U.S. in 2009, having at least one illegal parent.

Those numbers are very difficult to verify. But using them as a loose platform, illegal immigration could account for as much as eight to ten percent of all births in the United States each year.

http://www.kold.com/story/15336025/half ... minorities
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I read that by the year 2012 WE would be the minority and unfortunately, it is becoming sooooo true. Imagine, being a minority in our own country. :cry:

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierLady
    I read that by the year 2012 WE would be the minority and unfortunately, it is becoming sooooo true. Imagine, being a minority in our own country.
    I lived it in my last job back in 2008. I felt like I left my own Country and was forced to listen to spanish every day! It sucked royally!!!!!!!!!

Even at the hospital where I just had my surgery, a couple of spanish speaking nurses were blabbing in spanish. Not as part of their job and interpreting for anyone, just blabbing between themselves. I found that to be so rude!

Banned
    I found that to be so rude!
    Every damn place I worked at, if there were 2 or more they would start babbling in spanish. Even tho they spoke English. Every damn time. It is like some kind of unwritten law with them.