Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

Hayworth spot scores McCain on immigration

Hayworth spot scores McCain on immigration
    Story(20) Comments
    Rhonda Bodfield
    Posted: Saturday, August 7, 2010 12:00 am

Screen shot of J.D. Hayworth's new television ad. Black-and-white clips of McCain are punctuated by scenes of illegal immigration and McCain quotations in bold red letters. .
    ..Former Rep. J.D. Hayworth released a new television ad Friday that's running statewide.

The image:

Black-and-white clips of U.S. Sen. John McCain, punctuated by scenes of illegal immigration and "I Chose Lying" in bold red letters.

Paid for by:

Hayworth

The audio:

John McCain: It could come down to lying or losing. I chose lying.

Narrator: Now, McCain lies ... again.

McCain: I never supported amnesty.

Narrator: But McCain wrote the amnesty bill.

McCain: I chose lying.

Complete the danged fence.

Narrator: McCain opposed the border fence.

McCain: I chose lying. And I'll protect Social Security.

Narrator: McCain supported Social Security and Medicare for illegal aliens.

McCain: I chose lying.

Narrator: Say no to amnesty. Fire John McCain.

Hayworth: I'm J.D. Hayworth. I've made my mistakes but I approve this ad because I will never vote for amnesty.

Fact check:

The ad relies on a portion of McCain's 2002 memoir "Worth the Fighting For," in which McCain recounted a story from the 2000 presidential race when he supported South Carolina's right to fly the Confederate flag, even though he believed it was a symbol of racism.

He said in the book: "I didn't want to do this. But I could tell from the desperate looks of my staff that we had an enormous problem. And that it could come down to lying or losing. I chose lying." He has since listed that decision among his greatest regrets.

Amnesty claim:

The claim is likely based on the legislation McCain co-sponsored in 2005 and 2006 with the late Sen. Ted Kennedy.

It would have allowed the estimated 12 million undocumented immigrants in America to apply for legal-permanent-resident status, although there were hurdles to clear. For those in the U.S. for five or more years prior to enactment, it would have required documentation of employment for three of the five years, while levying a fine of $2,750 and requiring any unpaid taxes from prior employment.

The law would require employment for six years after enactment - at which time, if they had a working use of English, legal permanent residency would be granted. Those in the country between two and four years would also be able to apply, but would first have to return to their home countries to file.

McCain has said his definition of amnesty means no penalties.

Border Fence:

McCain did vote in July 2006 against an amendment that appropriated $1.8 billion for a double-layer fence along the border, but was one of 80 senators in September approving the Secure Fence Act of 2006, which approved fencing as well as lighting, cameras and sensors along 700 miles of the U.S. border with Mexico.

The earlier amendment McCain opposed received 71 votes against it, with critics saying the fence was offset by cuts in other border enforcement spending.

Social Security:

Illegal aliens would not have received benefits under the McCain legislation unless they became legal residents and worked and paid taxes. The chief actuary of Social Security in 2006 wrote in an analysis that the addition of new workers would have improved the cash flow into the program by $27 billion in the short term through 2016 as well as providing more revenues long-term.

On StarNet: To see the ad, go to azstarnet.com/news/blogs/ pueblo-politics

Posted in Elections, Rhonda-bodfield on Saturday, August 7, 2010 12:00 am Updated: 11:06 pm. | Tags:

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/govt-an ... ba0c0.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

McCain did support social security for illegals - can't find when he said it but remember it well. Perhaps it was during Presidential debates?

I just know when he said it my jaw dropped.

Banned
    cjbl2929: did an internet search and came up with this article from The National Policy Institute: Illegals granted Social Security (Re: the Ensign amendment) It may have appeared on AliPac, but my search isn't working too well.

[quote]“We all know that millions of undocumented immigrants pay Social Security and Medicare taxes for years and sometimes decades while they work to contribute to our economy,â€